develop or not develop-advice is needed

I have to admit I know little about property after read some posts in this form and impressed by the research and info people have before making move. But I already started want to develop something:eek:

Just bought something recently with an old house on a corner block and a relatively big front yard. I am thinking to renovate the old house and build a double story town house in the front.

I got 9-12 meter depth and 15.4 meters width to play with after the street set back and also depending on whether I chop off some of the old house to make the way for the development. I did a drawing for the new building and it comes out 18- 20 squares. But when I take it to builders or draftspersons, most people told me I am pushing the boundary or not possible.

What I should do if I REALLY wants to get it a go? Or it is totally a bad idea? Any comment welcome and thanks heaps in advance.

you need to speak to council first and find out what they will allow and will not allow. there is no point going to builders and draftspeople until you know this.

you need to speak to council first and find out what they will allow and will not allow. there is no point going to builders and draftspeople until you know this.

If you feel uneasy with grappling with the local DCP/LEP you could contact a town planner who is familiar with your shire. Maybe post what shire you are developing in. Someone here may know a planner or draftsperson/architect who they can recommend.

Good luck, :)

If you feel uneasy with grappling with the local DCP/LEP you could contact a town planner who is familiar with your shire. Maybe post what shire you are developing in. Someone here may know a planner or draftsperson/architect who they can recommend.

Good luck, :)

I did read RESCODE for City of Glen Eira, Clause 55 and so on. There are scopes for your own interpretation. Hard to digest:(

Any recommodations for a planner or draftsperson/architect ?

All good advice above. By the way is the old house heritage status or in such good condition that it needs to be kept?

Rent issues aside, to assist in holding costs, what stops you demolishing and starting afresh with two or three t/houses. Corners are more versatile and you may be able to optimise your project by using a blank canvas. Save your renovation costs on the old house and consider starting from scratch.

How big is the whole block (dimensions). Glen Eira is amongst the more pro-development councils in the S/E Bayside region

15.4M by 34M, not a big block and the existing house need some work but considering the cost, it is probably better to keep it for a while. My inital plan is two new and one old gone:)

Just get some rough idea on the buliding cost: $1300-1600 per sqare meters, not inculding landsaping and fencing drive way...so i am leaning toward keeping the old house.

15.4M by 34M, not a big block and the existing house need some work but considering the cost, it is probably better to keep it for a while. My inital plan is two new and one old gone:)

Just get some rough idea on the buliding cost: $1300-1600 per sqare meters, not inculding landsaping and fencing drive way...so i am leaning toward keeping the old house.

Hi Project M,

appears you've got just over 500 sq m. Even though Rescode guides with 300 sq m per dwelling, each case also needs to be evaluated on its own merits. Being on a corner is a huge plus. Even better if it's close to railway station, shopping/transport hub, etc.

Go to Glen Eira council, book an appintment with a town planner and seek their ideas on what may be possible. If building two might be a goer and you're short of servicability or equity right now, rent out the old one and build them in a few years.

Do the maths, sometimes it's cheaper by way of out of pocket costs to develop two (with two higher rents and depreciation) than it is to hold one old house with the lower rental, even though the borrowings on the two newly developed town houses is higher. And then.... you've got two properties growing for you.

Don't rush and spend too much renovating the old house just in case you bulldoze it in the future. Just bring it up to rental status before ascertaining what you can actually achieve on your site.

Corner blocks have been a popular small development in Qld and I'm not conversant with your regulations but in Qld the math would be allowable GFA (total gross floor area) 523.6 M2 by 50% equals 261.8M2 work out how much Floor Area is in the existing house and subtract that from this total to give the amount that you can build.

The other problem is set backs in Qld it is 6m of front and back boundary and 1.5m of side boundry and I believe that this may be your stumbling block.

Jon

Thanks folks! All good advice. Now I am trying to find a good draftsman to get the project started. Any recommendations? Or Builders who do whole lot? :)

Hi
I have recently purchased simillar property in Glen Eira City Council and planning to develop two dwelligs.

How did your project proceed?

Any idea, suggestions or thoughts?

Will be really helpful. Thank you.

All good advice above. By the way is the old house heritage status or in such good condition that it needs to be kept?

Rent issues aside, to assist in holding costs, what stops you demolishing and starting afresh with two or three t/houses. Corners are more versatile and you may be able to optimise your project by using a blank canvas. Save your renovation costs on the old house and consider starting from scratch.

How big is the whole block (dimensions). Glen Eira is amongst the more pro-development councils in the S/E Bayside region

interesting - I rarely find it better to push the house, probably because construction is so expensive and onerous. I have a 3 sites like this, in all cases it appears better to lop off the bunkies and sell them as character doer uppers.

Back