developing a duplex on the rear lot?

Hello everyone, have only recently joint the forum and quite impressed with all the information on here...

I am looking to buy a property that is zoned r60 on an 700sqm block, its part of the City of Wanneroo, the house its located to the street frontage with access to rear. From that i heard is that r60 have changed to a minimum of 120sqm per dwelling?

My question is would the local government authority have an issue with approving a DA for a duplex on a rear block?

Basically i am trying to achieve a constant rental income from the front home throughout the build and with a duplex build on the rear rent one and live in the other.

any opinions/advice would be great

thanking you.

Why not get approval for 2 lots at the rear, while keeping the front house so you have an income whilst building the two at the rear. Then when the rear houses are completed demolish the front house and build 2 more there.

R60, 700m2 with an average site area of 150m2 (min 120m2) would be a 4 unit site. Although this would mean having to go 2 storey on such a small lot, so another option would be to do a triplex, where you could keep them single storey to keep costs down. That said, you'll need to do your DD on what the market wants and then run the numbers on a few options to see what stacks up.

In answer to your question though, no i wouldn't imagine the WAPC would have an issue with just going for a duplex but if you do go down this path, make sure that the 2 lots you create are still large enough to be re-subdivided down the track

*urban planner* appreciate your advice. Just thinking of how would you design the carparking if the rear was subdivvided i to two lots?

Is the lot currently zoned R60. or going to
be part of future rezoning ?

It is proposed. Just weighing up my options.

the house its located to the street frontage with access to rear

Sorry i must have skipped over this part reading on my phone and thought it was access from the rear. That said, depending on the location of the house and size of the lot you could have a common access leg down the side with each of the new lots coming off this. Something similar to the attached but on a smaller scale vehicles reverse within the lot or over the common property and enter the street in a forward gear.

Do a simple survey strata subdivision for 3 lots initially (2 new ones at the back and one for the existing house), and then chop the front one up later if you decide to demolish the old house.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-20 at 2.34.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-20 at 2.34.14 PM.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 120
Hello everyone, have only recently joint the forum and quite impressed with all the information on here...

I am looking to buy a property that is zoned r60 on an 700sqm block, its part of the City of Wanneroo, the house its located to the street frontage with access to rear. From that i heard is that r60 have changed to a minimum of 120sqm per dwelling?

My question is would the local government authority have an issue with approving a DA for a duplex on a rear block?

Basically i am trying to achieve a constant rental income from the front home throughout the build and with a duplex build on the rear rent one and live in the other.

any opinions/advice would be great

thanking you.

I'm a little confused :) (don't worry it's not hard!)
Do you want to be one dwelling in the rear so the total is 2 or build 2 in the rear so the total is 3?

It really depends on how the existing house is situated and if there is enough room down the side for an access leg to the rear (needs to be 3-4m) and how much room there is in the rear.

There is many more options with R60 which you could look at
1. keep existing house and on a rear block build a multi unit which could be as simple as 3 x 2 on the bottom, 3 x 2 on the top
2. Do number 1 and then demolish existing house and build another multi unit with 3x2 bottom, 3 x 2 top and end up with 4 of 3 x 2 apartments
3. keep existing house and build two 3 x 2 villas in the rear - really needs to have existing house be in the PERFECT location.
4. keep existing house and build a 3 x 2 villa on 1/3 of the block then on completion demolish existing house and build a further two 3 x 2s on the front 2/3rds

Back