Developing in Perth

Time for effort for value, cant beat it. As an example my last purchase I made while I was on a fishing holiday in the NW, and saved (after paying her fee) about $37k from market value.

Cheers
Blacky

1) Hi Blacky, Boods here...

2) Just wondering how you arrived at the $37K figure saving from market value?

3) Did you have an independant valuation done on the property before you made your offer and then got it for $37k less (or more when taking into consideration the BA fees)??

4) I miss Kenneth's posts! Where is he??

5) For your consideration

6) From Boods

2) Just wondering how you arrived at the $37K figure saving from market value?

3) Did you have an independant valuation done on the property before you made your offer and then got it for $37k less (or more when taking into consideration the BA fees)??

Yep - Market val prior to purchase less all purchasing costs (including BA) saved me $37k.

Young guns

From the way that I read your post you are only building one house?
I would do your sums very carefully as it is difficult to find vacant blocks for single developments which return a profit (I am not saying there arent any, but you will have to look very hard!). Even doing duplex's in Perth now have low returns (sub 5%) and normally arent worth the risk. Triplexes are probably out of your price range.

There are however many opportunities to add value to down trodden houses (renovations etc) which will have a smaller capital outlay and have better %returns. Also the turn around times are much better. You can also make the house you PPOR while you are doing the renovations. You dont need to physically live there just make it your PPOR. Send me a PM and I will give you some hints on how to do this.

The fact that your hubby is a builder actually scares me. Generally speaking tradesmen put their own work off, as it does not pay the bills now. While he may be able to do the job cheaper - chances are he will take longer. Unless you pay one of his mates to do it, I wouldnt recomend this strategy (only my 2c). In development terms - your interest bill is normally the largest unknown variable, and generally makes or breaks the development.

The areas you have selected I quite like (even though you have spead far and wide). Como is good. Karrinyup is expensive. Take a look also at areas like Yokine & Tuart Hill which are my favourite. :D

Gooram - My understanding of CGT is that you buy a PPOR, and then rent it out you have a 7year window where it is still CGT free. However, if you buy, rent it out, then make it you PPOR, then sell it, it moves to a % calculation. Im not an accountant so could be wrong (it happened once before:D).

Best of good things to you :)

Blacky

Hi Blacky
interested whether you have looked at possiblities in Dianella, golden triangle around Cresswell Street, seem to be some great old properties which would be ideal for reno and location is outstanding with possibility of city views.

Cheers, MTR

update

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

We have done the sums and have decided to hold off on a new PPOR for a while.

We are going to extend our place in Kinsley so we are no longer busting at the seams (3x1 to a 4x2) and focus on doing some quick renos towards the end of the year when the banks will lend to us again (my hubby will have been self employed for 12 months then) like Blakey suggested to generate some more funds. Hopefully we will be in the position to be able to do our first development towards the end of next year.

We are also going to trial a BA to help find the places to reno. I will let you know how we go.

Cheers :)
younguns

Hi Blacky
interested whether you have looked at possiblities in Dianella, golden triangle around Cresswell Street, seem to be some great old properties which would be ideal for reno and location is outstanding with possibility of city views.

Cheers, MTR

Hi MTR
I havent looked at Dianella. Not for any reason, other than I just havent.
I dont know where Cresswell St is? If you are meaning in around Claremont area (near Scotch college), then No, I havent. That area's value is taken up by wealthy home owners, and (in my opinion) is priced evenly - meaning that there is little opportunity to add value.

Young guns - all the best with your journey.

Back