Diluting wall paint?

Hi all

I need to do some touch up for our house to get it ready for rental. I still have the old tin of paint (Dulux Lexicon) and did a few spots. I noted that the painted patch is 'brighter' that the walls (obviously 7 years of wear and tear).

Can I dilute the paint?

I don't really wish to repaint the whole house over a few (well several :)) marks on the walls. It is liveable and maybe I should juts leave it and accept a lower rent?

Cheers!

I would just repaint the entire wall (not walls) - assuming the patchy area is isolated to a single wall.

Differences in paint colour aren't as noticeable this way.

Hi all

I need to do some touch up for our house to get it ready for rental. I still have the old tin of paint (Dulux Lexicon) and did a few spots. I noted that the painted patch is 'brighter' that the walls (obviously 7 years of wear and tear).

Can I dilute the paint?

I don't really wish to repaint the whole house over a few (well several :)) marks on the walls. It is liveable and maybe I should juts leave it and accept a lower rent?

Cheers!

Or Clean the walls first, you usually notice touch up paint because the older paint has dust or grime, also make sure you shake/stir the paint because the tints can sit at the bottom.

Can I dilute the paint?
Diluting the paint is only going to make it "thinner" not darker in colour.

I'd repaint as neK has suggested. Then it will be good for another 7-10 years.

I suppose if you really wanted to be a cheap-skate :)p) you could take a sample of the old faded paint (off the wall) to the paint shop and get them to make you up a colour-matched sample pot.

Thanks for the comments!

The issue is not isolated to just one wall..... :( - kids have a field day and normally we try to clean it as soon as possible but some marks are really obvious.

I will clean up the walls (patches) with sugar soap and try again.

Srapping old faded paint - never thought of that, might have to try this too!

A few ways are possible.

1. As mentioned above, a colour match and a small sample pot will get you pretty close. Unfortunately it will still look 'patchy' on certain angles.

2. Again, mentioned above, redoing the whole wall (first just touching up the dented/marked areas) will net you the most desirable result. Seriously not the much effort - cut in top and bottom and roll the centre. Will give the house a nice 'fresh paint smell' so ingoing tenant will know you have freshened up the place.

3. You could airbrush over the marks with a hobby air brush. This will require some effort and finesse so probably not an option unless you were doing it all the time like a painter.

4. Hire a painter. Most costly, but you can make someone accountable for what it looks like. If you are handy yourself, I wouldn't bother a painter unless you know one or have one in the family close by.

pinkboy

Back