Disheartened!

Hi CCC

Unlikely youve been "had", but possible they are busy beyond ..........

Might I suggest, that you post some of your questions here, that way you can get some "latitude" when their answers come back.

ta

rolf

Maybe all the gurus are too busy.

Steve McKnight has the mentor stuff flat out.
The Rich Dad, poor dad bloke [can't spell his name] thinks the world is about to end.
The reno kings?

I want to be a guru!!!

See ya's.

I'm not going to be surprised if I get a warning or a flame over this.

LAY OFF THE GURUS!!!

Why? Because flaming them, generalising about them or trying to take them down in an indiscriminate fashion does a disservice to us all. We here are ALL trying to be tall poppies and yet are simultaneously not ashamed to try and cut taller poppies down to (our) size.

We all bitch about how no-one understands us, families feel free to criticise, we generously provide them with help to avoid late life poverty until we give up in helplessness or disgust etc, etc. Then these guys come along and charge folding stuff for doing the same thing and we feel free to have a shot at them.

If you have a legitimate whinge about what someone says or does, that's one thing. Just dismissing someone because they are a guru, however, does not really do anyone (including yourself) justice and could be seen as being damned rude to the Somers.

In answer to CCC, Geoff from the reno kings had a long history here of providing very good advice. Persist and nag, you've paid for the right to do that, but if you give up at the first obstacle, RE is not for you. No, I don't think you've been had.

I agree it'd be fun to be a guru too, but I won't be until I've at least achieved what Somers, McKnight, Doige and others have BEFORE becoming gurus.

Well said

We said Quiggles. My wife and I decide to throw our lot in with a so called real estate guru and did our first real estate transaction in March 2004. Since then we have generated monthly income of $2,100 per month and paper profits of $210,000.

And our background didn't help. Sure we had our own home. Well the bank had more of it than we did. And we had a negatively geared IP before. But years ago we'd sold that and blown the capital gain on a bad business idea.

Needless to say we think the price we've paid for our guru's services have been quite reasonable. I guess that comes from being ready at that particular time in our life to take the action that is always essential after you take one of these courses. And it does help a bit to be a bit like a dog with a bone ;-)

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:
I have nothing against mentors and gurus, as long as they are upfront and ethical, and consider the repercussions on a market, at a later time, of a significant audience parroting their actions.

Even though Steve McKnight didn't invent +CF strategy, he certainly introduced it to half of Australia. And I think that was a positive thing. Before then, Australia thought PI meant negative gearing 1 or at most 2 properties.

If I have an issue with Steve, it is that I can't reconcile how such an obviously smart guy resorts to using 1950s marketing techniques. It wore thin on me a long time ago, and yet, I still try to read he has to write. It just frustrates me that he wastes my time with the hype. A guy like him could become the Kiyosaki of Australia (there's certainly a vacuum sucking the right guy there), and it would be nice to have some home grown gurus. And I just wish he and any other aspirational type, would aim a little higher. As an ex ad man, I can literally smell the masses looking for some honest direction on how to self fund retirement and make smarter investment decisions. The only thing missing, the most important thing missing is trust.... Steve Navra could do it. and seems to be moving that way, though not in a populist manner.

And maybe the Australian Kiyosaki won't be one person. Maybe the task is too big for one in an investment world as complicated as this.....Too much knowledge constantly changing to be the guru......Maybe a co-operative, a society, with an educational bent, is the way forwards. Maybe from this forum, sometime in the future, a group of successful retirees with a lot of time on their hands will become 'the most trusted and incorruptible guru'. After all, a democratic cooperative would be a lot less corruptible than one man or woman.

And isn't that what we all find compelling about somersoft, that it isn't one man's word. We take solace in that many life experiences are expressed here. Hence, in statistical parlance, the law of large numbers reveals truth.

When the computer age took off, everyone was excited because everyone felt part of it. There was an open sharing, and everyone could sense the power of computing potential. Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston, the guys who invented spreadsheets, never got a patent out. And yet they changed the world forever. especially accounting... Their consciousness was more communal. ANd that's the way I feel about investment forums. There is a common good, a potential, that can come from the collective wisdom of sharing investment knowledge. .. The whole is greater than teh sum of the parts.

If more of Australia can make smarter decisions in investment and even life itself, we are all going to benefit. In a sense, sharing wisdom via forums, can be a true trickle down effect. But speeded up more than ever before. That's the forum effect. Forums also have a way of exposing the collective unconscious and conscious. And that is their true power.

In short, the thing I feel Australia needs most now, is a return to a higher standard of ethics and community. Steve McKnight could go there. A collective of Somersofter's could go there. The Somers went there, and have had to pass the batten. Maybe the batten needs to be passed to a group, rather than one.

The insurance industry arose from a community's need to look after each other. In a large society, we are all dependent. Maybe some of that communal spirit, the glue that holds the fabric of society together, that is so sadly lacking in the 3D world, will build in cyberspace forums, and eventually spill over into 3D.

Here's to more intelligence and more trust and more respect for others....and reaping the rewards of that.....

Back to that bottle of scotch........ :)

ccc,

your post has been removed...but from the reply posts I presume you feel you've been hard done by some "guru"

forget the gurus....this site is where its at....seriously!....just read and educate yourself until you have enough confidence, motivation and knowledge to put something into action....action man....action jackson!....yeh sure, it takes time....and???.....don't let the fear of the time it takes to do something stop you from acting, for time will pass anyway...

Peter Spann (well-known guru), Les/Branda Irwin (yeh, I reckon you could class them as "successful"...:p), Geoffw and probably many more on here that I don’t know, but who I have suspicions about given their insightful and engaging posts....

anyway, guess what - they still post here....why?...because they want to give back to the forum they feel still gives to them.....

and this from Quiggles,

Persist and nag, you've paid for the right to do that, but if you give up at the first obstacle, RE is not for you.

How true....

So what are you going to do CCC?....cry about it or become more determined..….ironically, your mate Geoff Doidge once said it best, "you can get sad or you can get mad - I chose to get mad"...

Later…

George

Last edited:
vent if you need to

CCC,

I don't know what your post said and I can only guess by some of the other remarks. I guess you've had a go at the gurus. All I can say is, it's so important to make your own decisions. When I started PI 4 years ago, I knew nothing. I had, like many people, zero financial education when I was growing up. I had to work from things I had learned from my beautiful wife, Peter Spann, Henry Kaye(negative examples mostly :D), reading two books a boatload of sheer determination and attention to detail.

The above issues, attention to detail combined with a lack of fear have helped. I take ownership of the issues. I can learn good and bad from gurus, but if I'm going to own my financial future, I can't afford to waste emotional energy blaming someone else. Sh*t happens, deal with it, move on. I apologize for being blunt, but that's how I run things with my BW. I understand the need to vent and by all means, vent and edit if you need to.

And thanks for contributing, even if you had to edit it all out. It's what makes this forum great.

Jireh

quiggles said:
I agree it'd be fun to be a guru too, but I won't be until I've at least achieved what Somers, McKnight, Doige and others have BEFORE becoming gurus.
Don't be so sure about that quiggs.....I reckon you have a following (of sorts) here (as well as at PI.com) especially amongst those looking to invest o/s in the good ol' U.S.of A !!! ;) :D

So what are you saying man, you're not having fun yet??? :p :D

Last edited:
Back