Dishwasher - needs new motor - only 2.5 years old - options?

Hi all,

The dishwasher in one of our rentals is making a loud noise when it's in use. The dishwasher guy says it needs a new motor because the bearings are gone. It's not even 3 years old!

So, my property manager has done some figures:

$77 to do nothing (call out fee for dishwasher repair guy)
$354 to repair the current dishwasher.
$825 to purchase and install a new dishwasher (not sure of the brand)... and $85 on top of that to purchase an extended 5 year warranty.

Has anyone had any experience in replacing the motor of a dishwasher? Don't they generally last? Seems a bit of a waste to chuck it out.

Also, in the rental we're living in, our cheap a$$ landlord bought the cheapest, nastiest Heier dishwasher (white one) for $399. New. You can't watch TV when it's on... it's so loud. I probably wouldn't want to put my tenants through that grief... :p

Also, from a tax point of view the $354 repair is 100% tax deductible in this tax year, where the replacement of a new dishwasher has to be depreciated over its life...whatever that is.

Ideas/thoughts appreciated. :)

-- MJ.

$354 to repair the current dishwasher.
$825 to purchase and install a new dishwasher (not sure of the brand)

For around $100 more than a repair @ $450 you can get a brand new stainless steel dishwaher either off eBay or one of the cheaper auction places or a scratch & dent place - stacks around without having to pay full retail like the $825 your PM has quoted.

Just throw it away :p

replace

immediate remainder write off of the old cost

If it was me, Id replace the bearings in the motor.......................but them my labour is cheap

ta
rolf

Hows this for an idea ;

1. Rip it out and throw the useless thing away.

2. Replace the space with a useful proper cupboard.

3. Tell the tenants to get off their @$$, stop lounging around like slugs and spend 10 minutes in the kitchen as a whole family doing the dishes properly.

No stacking, no unstacking, no little expensive soap blocks with the special blue spot in the middle, no broken plastic latches, no smashed shins walking around it when open, no putrid dishes sitting there all day festering, no burnt on bits of food that stain your cutlery.

Not much goes wrong with a sink of nice hot soapy water. Worked for 80 years or more, no worries. Plus it does all of the big pots and pans that the dishwasher can't handle. Plus the children actually grow up to be useful, instead of sloths. Plus you can actually have a decent conversation and get to know everyone in the family properly, rather than staring into the computers and the TVs ignoring each other.

I'd probably replace it but if is less than three years old you have a valid statutory warranty claim. Ask the supplier to fix then send a letter of demand. (not sure this really helps the tenant but you'll have spare dishwasher)

You should quote the appropriate fair trading and consumer legislation in your discussions. www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

write it off and finish it's value in your depreciation schedule.

In the meantime start looking on ebay for a near new decent brand.

Bosch is a good and relatively inexpensive brand, if you go for very cheap ones you are likely to get burned.

For example, anyone who bought Conia a couple of years ago and trying to get service today will find that they no longer exist so even if you have 5 year warranty if the company giving you the warranty is not in business it won't help you.

Back