Dishwasher

We have tenants due to move into our IP on Monday (our old PPOR). The dishwasher has never worked since we've been there but the PM says we need to get it fixed. We had a guy over to look at it and he says it's blown up and needs replacing. By law, do we need to have it replaced and working? We told the PM it doesn't work before screening began and I've just noticed that the dishwasher was mentioned as an inclusion in the rental ad.
Cheers

Hi,
If its listed on the ad and they signed the lease they will expect this to be included and you will have to replace it , maybe yourself and the agent could come to some agreement if it was their stuff up,

Cheers

I've actually been to VCAT for a similar thing.

It was an air conditioner that didn't work (old box style) and was advertised as not working, excluded in the lease etc. but VCAT ruled that if it is at the property, the tenant has an expectation it will be in working order.

Some tenants are reasonable and wouldn't go to that extent, others, not so much.

Your PM did do the wrong thing by advertising it as in working condition when they were aware it wasn't at the time.

Your options now are to 1. Replace it, you could try to get some compensation from your agents particularly if you have in writing it was not in working order 2. Compensate your new tenants, however this could be anywhere from a reduction in rent, all the way to letting them out of their lease without penalty. I'd suggest the first suggestion is best.

With a Dishlex dishwasher being able to be bought for just over $500 why not just buy a new one?

Yea I think we'll just get a new one for the place, although maybe not a dishlex. I had a read of their reviews and the seem to spontaneously combust a fair bit! Not sure what brand is in the IP at the moment but the repair guy said it caught on fire too.

Anyone had any problems with them catching on fire?

I find this site good for cheap whitegoods:
www.2ndsworld.com.au

We've generally gone with Dishlex due to a couple of salesmen saying they are good and reliable for a machine that is not "high end". I've never heard of one catching fire.

I'd only ever put a Asko into my own kitchen, but I'm not prepared to spend $1K for a rental house.

I agree with wylie, just buy a new one. You may find the tenants wouldn't have rented if there was no dishwasher.

A lady I work with was taken to court by a tenant for a dishwasher that only half worked. She claimed it never worked correctly from the beginning of her lease and should have done, was a major drama.

Also heard of tenants arranging emergency repairs themselves for a broken dishwasher.

Some luxuries they just can't live without.

Just had to replace a "Kleenmaid" at one IP because I have been told you cannot get parts for them anymore. I'm replacing with a Dishlex, $650 including installation and removal of old machine. The service guy only recommends Dishlex and Bosch (maybe he gets the best deal on them....)

JB

Next time your ip is up for lease, rip the thing out and make no mention of a dish washer. If they want one Harvey Norman is around the corner. works for me.

On the dishwasher note; is a dishwasher expected in an investment property ? Would the absence of one deter a tenant ? Asking as decididing wether property we have could benefit from having one put in but currently doesn't have.

On the dishwasher note; is a dishwasher expected in an investment property ? Would the absence of one deter a tenant ? Asking as decididing wether property we have could benefit from having one put in but currently doesn't have.

I have one in one property, none in the other two and it does not seem to have made a difference to tenant applications.

JB

Depends on the type of property.

For higher end, or new properties, it's generally expected.

I wouldn't apply for a rental property without one - I hate doing dishes and now that I've learnt the ways of the dishwasher I won't be going back! :p

Back