Dividing fibro fence in okay condition

Hi we are in WA, city of canning. We have a 'high fibro' fence dividing (29m) between our neighbours, in good structural shape except for one big crack towards the back of the property.

Neighbour wants to replace the fence to renovate the backyard and say its a health hazard and are asking for half.

1. Is 'high fibro' accordin to building plans asbestos??
2. If the fence is asbestos but in okay condition, do i have to replace it because it is a health hazard??
3. Can i just repair asbestos?

Check the fencing rules with your council but in NSW you don't have to pay half if the fence is OK.

I don't thin k it being asbestos comes into it unless it's damaged or dangerous (bits breaking off etc).

You can seal it with a sealing paint if you are worried about it.

So if you don't want a new fence, tell the neighbour that.

Ask him to get some quotes for removal of the asbestos fence , this might change his mind.
Any asbestos removal these days are not cheap to remove.

Is 'high fibro' asbestos??

Can you put up some pic's.

Ive heard of highline fibro (asbestos) but not high fibro different states had different names.

Taken from
http://www.asbestoswise.com.au

Below is a list of trade names for James Hardie & Co. Pty Ltd. asbestos products in Australia and the approximate year when they stopped being manufactured with asbestos fibre. Asbestos was slowly phased out and around these dates some products manufactured may have contained 3-5% asbestos. [11]
- Hardiflex 1981
- Hardiplank 1981
- Villaboard 1981
- Versilux 1982
- Harditherm 1984
- Compressed 1984
- Drain Pipe 1984
- Super Six 1985
- Highline 1985
- Shadowline 1985
- Coverline 1985
- Roofing Accessories 1985
- Pressure Pipe 1987

Another question; say they want to upgrade the fence, and i dont want to, and its in good nick.\

But its a duplex with a common wall; would it cause problems in the future for knocking down/rebuilding if i dont voluntarily contribute??

Its a survey strata block so i would be legally entitled to do wat i please with my half.

If it's asbestos and dangerous, remove it. If they think it's a health hazard but it's really not, then you're entitled to say leave it alone, or you pay.

How far in the future do you plan to knock it down? I'd imagine you'll struggle with consent either way, but I'll leave it to those more experienced than me.

Back