Fence - who gets to pick the flat side?

....there is no god!

Honey - sometimes in life you are "damned if you do - and damned if you don't".

Just let it be as the fence is up, try not to stew as solves nothing ... easier said than done because we all want to get on with our neighbours ... and move on to the next success making project :D

In England the laws are a little different (well it was 25 years ago when I lived there). Fences are designated as being the responsibility of one landowner- it's a part of the title. So one side fence would be the neighbour's responsibility and one side mine.

The fences though tended to be very flimsy and the weather bad. The fence which was my responsibility was a hedge- it was mg neighbour who had to fix up the blown out panels after every bu storm.

I don't think you've got too much to worry about. You're almost certainly in the right and even if she wants to take it further, she didn't have the money for the fence so how can she pay for a lawyer?

Oh, and contrary to popular opinion, I prefer the rails side of the fence, not the flat side.
That way no kids/nosey neighbours/crims can climb up the rails Andover into your yard.
Also, easier to hang pot plants or peg whatever you want to the fence posts etc.
I used to see this argument almost every job and convinced many folks that the flat side is the "Ugly" side.

I was going to mention this as well.
I'd prefer the railings for the above reason, but kids being kids will climb over it either way lol. This will just make it a bit harder.
Plus you can use the rails to hang stuff as mentioned.

I'm curious though, what if the fence was in good condition, no need for repair.
Your neighbour approaches you to go 50/50 on a new fence, you decline.
They go ahead with replacing the fence then decide to take you to court to recover the 50%?
If you didn't have photo evidence that would be a pain getting through that.

I was going to mention this as well.
I'd prefer the railings for the above reason, but kids being kids will climb over it either way lol. This will just make it a bit harder.
Plus you can use the rails to hang stuff as mentioned.

I'm curious though, what if the fence was in good condition, no need for repair.
Your neighbour approaches you to go 50/50 on a new fence, you decline.
They go ahead with replacing the fence then decide to take you to court to recover the 50%?
If you didn't have photo evidence that would be a pain getting through that.

If they have not sent you a "notice to fence" plus three (?) quotes, they haven't a chance of getting half after they've done the job... at least in Queensland.

Back