Divorces are great for Landlords

Just reading through another post on divorces and it's sparked another thought.
If no divorces occurred, it would reduce the tenant pool that is available to rent properties.

Many of our tenants are "new singles" and starting over. That is, they have owned their own home and are now new to the rental market due to divorce. Many of these tenants, once they have established themselves again, actually find that renting is their preferred method and even if they later on purchase investment properties, they continue to rent a "nicer" home to live in.

There is a trend that at around the 2-3 year mark after a divorce they double the number of children they have. She has 2 and now partners up with someone who also has 2, now together they have 4 children and move in together into a bigger 5-6 bedroom home. This is a safer relationship, there is no risk here because if one walks out they have nothing to take from the other one as they were just renting. Smart way to do relationships I think.

It is also my observation that there are more divorces - more new single tenants and more sales due to divorce, in more prosperous economic times.
This could be because people stay in bad relationships/marriages if they are unable to afford life on their own. People can walk out of bad situations easier if they are financially able to.

I'm talking both men and women here not just one.

So, when economic times are good, bad marriages end and the pool of quality tenants increases. All good.

Please keep in mind that we manage properties mainly in the more prosperous suburbs with a rental range of $420 to $500 per week, so we attract a lot of higher income divorced tenants and many professional tenants. Male and Female.

The above observations probably don't make sense for lower socioeconomic demographics.

Not so great when one happens in a currently tenanted property sometimes.
Start fighting over who's paying/not paying the rent.
A couple alcohol fueled benders resulting in kicked in doors etc.
One tenant went completely off the rails onto drugs.

Agent selected tenants, decent properties, just the stress affects some people.

I once had a small block one bedroom units. I let them out furnished- it was good temporary accommodation (about six months generally) for newly divorced people trying to find their way- amongst other demographics.

Interesting take on things Xenia. Makes sense to me. It seems there are a lot more investors renting these days too.
Actually, this makes Adelaide look a helluva lot more cosmopolitan that I had imagined. So they don't stone divorcees after church?
(No, I didn't say the divorcees get stoned after church.)

As long as she lines up her own pockets who cares if families break up hey :rolleyes:

If you have a hot button on others making money it is YOU that will be unable to make money.

I am not the single, number one cause of every divorce in Australia because I provide rental properties.
I may have caused a few in the past but not all of them ;)

Awesome promo work....

"ALEXA Real Estate - supporting (and promoting, and even apparently causing) divorces since 2005" (estimate).

bdwsxh.jpg

Bees are on the what now?

Xenia might be a bit out there, but she hasn't set up fake accounts in the past to bolster her argument (as far as I'm aware).

I know a guy that has been divorced 4 times. I asked him why keep getting married? His reply was after the second divorce i have nothing to lose!

Back