Dixon homes ?

We built a Dixon house in a rural township a few years ago. Our builder , a local, presented us with an attractive, well built house; he had his reputation in the local community to protect.

There were a few things that his tradies had to fix up, which they did without any arguments.

The secret is to get a builder who cares about the end product and supervises the construction every step of the way.

Anyway, for us it was a pleasant experience. I'd use this builder again.

RK

I have built two dixon houses,
One was around four years ago when it was busy,
I went the comfort then but added render etc myself to improve it.
I still have it,there is nothing wrong with it,

I have just finished another Dixon and this time I went Resort,
High ceilings,nicer bricks etc.
It turned out a very nice home,the tradies did a very good job.
I believe this time around the trades that are still working due to the GFC,
There were no apprentices on site and all experienced tradies,
When it gets busy the tradies hire anyone to turn over the work and you can guess the result.

I built with a very good private builder two years ago and although it was better and more flexible,the builder still was hard to deal with at the end,
Problem is I paid around 100K more for that house than any other and I am actually getting less rent on that one.
Still valued the same as a dixon house:confused:

My opinion is Build now while it is slow and you will get a better job,
Dixon just happens to be the cheapest builder,just don't expect to change anything after you sign the contract. :rolleyes:

I've been happy with Dixons

Over the last 4 years, I've had 4 houses built by Dixons through their Chermside office. I've been fairly happy with their quality although they do use the cheapest tradesmen and materials eg water pump which lasted only a year.

For an investor, they are excellent value for money. On completion of the first 2 properties I gained at least $50,000 in equity in each of the properties. Of course I've had to ask for a few rectificatioins but most were fairly minor.

From reading some of the other posts it is apparent that their quality varies from very poor to excellent. This is the same experience that my friends and family had with Dixons, some were happy, another was very disappointed. I think it all depends on the building supervisor. I couldn't fault mine while other colleagues found their's hard to deal with.

And no, I don't work or have any connection with Dixons.

I think the picture here is starting to indicate that it's all who your contractors are at the time of build...

being in the industry I have heard dozens of bad reports, but also a few good ones... perhaps those that have good reports here could post the names of the good subbies they dealt with?? so that anyone building in the relevant area may request that particular subbie??

generally, Dixon/Tamawood pay their crap wages so it is understandable why their prices are low and why so many have complaints...but again, if you have a good reference, post the guys name so that he gets the work and so our comrades here who choose to take the plunge with Dixon at least mitigate their risk!!

cheers
UC

I think the picture here is starting to indicate that it's all who your contractors are at the time of build...

being in the industry I have heard dozens of bad reports, but also a few good ones... perhaps those that have good reports here could post the names of the good subbies they dealt with?? so that anyone building in the relevant area may request that particular subbie??

generally, Dixon/Tamawood pay their crap wages so it is understandable why their prices are low and why so many have complaints...but again, if you have a good reference, post the guys name so that he gets the work and so our comrades here who choose to take the plunge with Dixon at least mitigate their risk!!

cheers
UC
I really don't think it would work like that,:rolleyes:

Hey Sailesh

I agree with most of that....As I got a dixon house built last year.....I would not go down that road again...thats for sure...even tho I found they are the cheapest builder.....for a reason. I could keep going with the bag fest but u covered alot of it...My Ensuit bathroom is leaking and the mold is unstopable do u think we can get someone out to even have a look...no. I am a tradie and I should no better...but I did have my reasons for going down this path. I am looking at redo'ing the ensuit/main bath and laurndry next year before we sell. I can do most of the work myself...thats the only reason I'm doing it. But they definately won't be getting referrals from me. they were quite at the time I signed so I was able to work in and do a fair bit myself.
All I can say is the tiler should be lined up and shot......what a loser

Peace out

if you have a good reference, post the guys name so that he gets the work and so our comrades here who choose to take the plunge with Dixon at least mitigate their risk!!

UC

When I had my homes built I didn't have contact with the subbies so can't give names. I was fortunate enough to have had a good relationship with the building supervisors who made sure that the work was done properly even if the contractors' wages were low.

never hurts to ask!!:p

NthBris - can you post the supervisors names then??

Supervisors don't do the work,all they do with dixon's is tick off the completed tasks (Thats about it).

They are given an area to look after and sometimes these trades never see the supervisor as he only visits when the trade is finished.

Even as a customer if you point out a defect,chances are the supervisor wont say or do anything about it until the end.

Basically the house is built by a computer and as one trade finishes,the supervisor looks at it briefly and ticks it off his list and then the next trade is sent a purchase order to start their job.

This happens until the house is finished, :confused:

Supervisors don't do the work,all they do with dixon's is tick off the completed tasks (Thats about it).

They are given an area to look after and sometimes these trades never see the supervisor as he only visits when the trade is finished.

Even as a customer if you point out a defect,chances are the supervisor wont say or do anything about it until the end.

Basically the house is built by a computer and as one trade finishes,the supervisor looks at it briefly and ticks it off his list and then the next trade is sent a purchase order to start their job.

This happens until the house is finished, :confused:

dude, I work in the industry - if you are looking to build with a company whose supervisor does not know the subbies he has control of - RUN!! The supervisor is responsible for all work on the premises and has to sign off on it. I know many guys doing this job for many different builders and very few of them will sign off on completed work without knowing who did it and how well they do it! it is not worth the kick in the #@$% they get when things go pairshaped during the warranty period.

just MHO

Back