DIY sucks

Definitely DIY sucks. And there is no escape when its a PPOR reno. Everytime you open your eyes theres the dust, and holes in the wall, and washing with the hose because the bathroom out of order, and tools everywhere, and possums in the fruit bowl because part of the roofs still off ......

Some people who think they do a good job at reno's are actually damaging the house beyond repair. :D

I looked at a house once that the owner had "fixed up". She had ripped out a doorway and patched the and tried to plaster it. It was a mess. Then she added a room out the back. It was behind the bathroom so she just gyprocked over the window. She told me there was a "little" problem with the shower (that she installed in the new room) as the water flowed the wrong way (into the bedroom).
I just looked at the agent and shrugged my shoulders and left. Too much work ripping down the room and fixing the mistakes.

We think we do a good job. But we also have had people look at our reno's and tell us they are of a high standard so we are happy with that. We don't believe in doing dodgy work. If it's beyond our expertise we call in professionals. Hubby won't put up with anything that's not right. With one reno I wanted to just tidy the bathroom but hubby said it was dodgy and done by a handyman and it wouldn't pass th trst of time so we ripped it out.
We have some good tradie friends that swap hours with us. That saves a great deal.
I do know some people that buy, reno a lot and use the cheapest tradies/workers they can get. They are happy but looking at some of the work makes me shake my head.

Back