Do I need an Ethernet splitter ?

In my location eg hotel ,
I have a wall connection to the internet where the Ethernet cable plugs into from my computer.
My printer also has the same connection to my computer, so I have to disconnect the internet to print.

What thing do I have to buy so I can run printer and Internet connection together?
I have seen such splitters for $3.50 but I thought they may be for telephone only?
thanks

The eithernet cable in the back of your computer isn't the same as a phone line. A 'splitter' won't work. For this type of thing you'd use a router (usually has 4 ports in the back and needs a power point).

This of course won't work very well in a hotel, because it plugs into the hotel network.

You shouldn't be plugging your eithernet cable directly from the computer to the printer either.

Instead, use a USB cable to plug the printer directly into your laptop when you travel. If you've got it set up properly, it should work easily. Your computer/laptop likely has several USB ports (your mouse is probably plugged into one of them).

A splitter won't work. Please don't plug a router in, you may kill the whole buidling's internet.

Your best bet is a switch. You can get 4 port ones for like $50

A splitter won't work. Please don't plug a router in, you may kill the whole buidling's internet.

Your best bet is a switch. You can get 4 port ones for like $50
The link in Jake D's post above is to a 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet Switch for $19. Seems like a cheap solution.

Is this a usb port?

Is this a USB 2.0 port below the Ethernet port which was mentioned . See file attached

If so what is the cable name with RJ45 at the other end?

As this is Imac computer would a TPlink be plug and play.

If printing is my only requirement I think TPlink might be over kill and the delay in printing files will barely be noticed?

thanks for all the excellent and quick responses.

BTW New brother HL-L2380DW laser printer, wireless incapable of connecting to this network, but home network is non problem

Attachments

• 20150317_220913.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 63
As this is Imac computer would a TPlink be plug and play.

Not really plug and play because it doesnt actually install on your computer, and doesn't care what type you're using. It's just at the ethernet level to put the printer on the same network as the computer.

It isn't over kill since its $20 and will allow you to connect anything else you get to it in the future.

BTW New brother HL-L2380DW laser printer, wireless incapable of connecting to this network, but home network is non problem

It has wireless? Set it up so it hosts the wireless network, rather than tries to connect to your network. problem solved.

And yes, that is USB right there. USB-B i think. $2 cable. simple setup.

Is this a USB 2.0 port below the Ethernet port which was mentioned . See file attached

The one of the left is the Ethernet port, the smaller right one is a USB port for a large interface (fairly standard for printers).

Get a large plug USB cable, put one end in the printer and the other end in the USB port on your computer. This gives your computer a direct connection to the printer. If your computer has the appropriate drivers installed, it should be automatic from there.

If you try to do this via the Eithernet port, you're trying to put a printer on the network. This is handy if you want to share the printer across multiple computers, but overkill for a simple 1 to 1 connection.

Your home network is probably already set up to accommodate all this, but a hotel network isn't going to accept your printer the same way a home network would. Creating your own network in a hotel room is completely over the top for the problem, you'd need several cables and a switch. A simple USB cable solves the problem and is a lot simpler.

THANKS GENTS.
EXCELLENT ADVICE BY ALL.

WENT WITH THE USB CABLE, BUT RIPPED OFF AT $10 FROM OFFICE WORKS.
Time restraints got the better of me.

CANT CONNECT TO THIS NETWORK ACCORDING TO THE TECHIES though AT HOME WIRELESS WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE

You can get them as a card that becomes part of a desktop computer. Nothing for laptops.

FYI: The last time I recall seeing something like that was 15 years ago.

There's a lot of good technical reasons why you wouldn't do this. Hubs, switches, etc, should all be external to the computer itself. They do require a power source.

Back