Do I need to pay for flyscreen to be installed at the property?

Do I need to pay for flyscreen to be installed at the property?

When the place is tenanted out, there's no flyscreen at the window. Now, the PM requested for it......

puzzled......

Why not just say "You rented the house without screens. Installing them will cost me $xxxxx and if you are prepared to sign a new lease at $xxx per week more than you currently pay, I would consider it." A bit like if a tenant asked for a dishwasher, or for air-conditioning.

I am not against installing things to increase rentability, but screens is one of those things that I live without (and love it!!) and we have none in our IPs. We have never been asked for them either.

If we were asked, I would probably say no because it has never been a sticking point or stopped the IPs renting quickly. Lack of a deck has been much more of an issue in one IP and has been the reason for this particular house being passed up. Adding a deck was "on the list" but we sold it recently, so it is now not an issue.

We have one IP without a deck, and that will be something we would certainly consider adding so that when the current tenants leave, it is more attractive to future tenants.

I am sorry, but i dont understand why owners seem to get offended when their tenants ask for something! If you dont want to, then say no, end of story!

Flyscreens arent always on the top of peoples minds when they are looking through a property, they may not even notice they dont have them until after they move in. They are relatively inexpensive to install, i dont see why them asking to be able to open their windows to allow fresh in and keep the bugs out is such a big deal!

but as i said if you dont want to put them in , then dont, but keep in mind that often doing the small things will make your tenants appreciate you and your property a little more and stay there longer....

Why not just say "You rented the house without screens. Installing them will cost me $xxxxx and if you are prepared to sign a new lease at $xxx per week more than you currently pay, I would consider it." A bit like if a tenant asked for a dishwasher, or for air-conditioning.
I am not against installing things to increase rentability, but screens is one of those things that I live without (and love it!!) and we have none in our IPs. We have never been asked for them either.

If we were asked, I would probably say no because it has never been a sticking point or stopped the IPs renting quickly. Lack of a deck has been much more of an issue in one IP and has been the reason for this particular house being passed up. Adding a deck was "on the list" but we sold it recently, so it is now not an issue.

We have one IP without a deck, and that will be something we would certainly consider adding so that when the current tenants leave, it is more attractive to future tenants.

Becaue I poersonally think it is a fair thing to ask for and would be embarassed to say no cuase I would feel stupid rude and selfish

I think in Perth that trying to live without flyscreens would be toomuch a of a pain in the proverbial and I would be embarassed to be so rude as to tell tenants their compalint insuunreaosnable when I actually do not beleive it is.

I am sorry, but i dont understand why owners seem to get offended when their tenants ask for something! If you dont want to, then say no, end of story!

Flyscreens arent always on the top of peoples minds when they are looking through a property, they may not even notice they dont have them until after they move in. They are relatively inexpensive to install, i dont see why them asking to be able to open their windows to allow fresh in and keep the bugs out is such a big deal!

100% agree. Well said.

but as i said if you dont want to put them in , then dont, but keep in mind that often doing the small things will make your tenants appreciate you and your property a little more and stay there longer....

Stop being logical when we donobviously don't want to hear it :D

depends on the house. a qlder or like are difficult and impracticable to put screens in. you have to put sliding screens in which are more expensive. i don't think tenants expect them in those houses. but for newer places they are expected and well worth putting in. if you can get the tenant to agree to a rent increase in exchange even better.

Absolutely a PITA to install in queenslanders and perhaps that is why we have never been asked for them. I suppose those people looking to rent a queenslander know this.

We never add improvements to our properties because a tenant has asked for it.
If it doesn't have fly screens when they moved, we are not putting them on.
We do maintenance and repairs.

We would not even negotiate something into the lease, but I understand that at least, is a compromise.

LL's hate being asked for additional things, because it usually is just the start of requests. The less I hear from tenants, the better I like it.

We never add improvements to our properties because a tenant has asked for it.
If it doesn't have fly screens when they moved, we are not putting them on.
We do maintenance and repairs.

We would not even negotiate something into the lease, but I understand that at least, is a compromise.

LL's hate being asked for additional things, because it usually is just the start of requests. The less I hear from tenants, the better I like it.

Can understand that, but missing flyscreens to me feels like I dunno a broken toilet. I grew up in Perth with no aircon until, really not that long ago actually and no flyscreens makes me think half finished..

Maybe it alao depnds on the type of proerty and how expensive it is compared to it/ the rent you're getting as well, but no flyscreens on neew house in Perth, I dont reckon I'd want to live there.

As the saying goes...lousy property attracts lousy tenants.
I dislike owners who act as if they do tenants a favour by letting their property to them.
Would you like to live without fly screens?:confused:

As the saying goes...lousy property attracts lousy tenants.
I dislike owners who act as if they do tenants a favour by letting their property to them.
Would you like to live without fly screens?:confused:

For me it's a reminder that I and a lot of us, are, whether we like it or not, whether we admit it or not, amateur mum & dad investors...

We don't know how to hanlde issues / objections (fair & unfair) aso the intial reaciton is to get annoyed and frustrated and blame the tenant for whinging...

I'd hate to live in a house without flyscreens, I don't see what's unreasonable about wanting flyscreens.. I think the difficulty people have is being able to say that to their tenants, so they wish their tenants wouldn't ask. Why not get rid of internal doors in the house, what do you "need" them for anyway ?

Of course, I am assuming house/t/houses & apaatments & villas what modern Aust capital cities might describe as normal accomodation for average people, not burnt caran parks or a dump that costs $25k to purchase or anything like that, I believe it they may logically be different and shouldn't be confused with the others.

I find it amazing that anybody could think that a house without flyscreens must be a dump :D.

We are in a suburb of mainly old queenslanders. I know very few people who have flyscreens. I have had tenants ask for things, which we consider, and very often say yes to because it improves the house for that tenant, moves with the times and makes the house more rentable (eg. dishwashers, air-con).

In all my years of renting queenslanders, I have not once been asked for flyscreens. As I said earlier, it could possibly be that people wanting this style of house just don't want them.

I grew up with them, and found it a little hard to cope when I met hubby who hates screens, and our first house had several windows that opened inwards as well as beautiful leadlight windows, with fiddly catches and opening arms, so I learned to love the uninterrupted breezes and have now lived sans flyscreens for 22 years and love throwing open the windows and doors and letting the breezes in.

I'm not being smart or sassy, but just curious about what some people can live without, and what (obviously) some people cannot live without.

I would hate to have to live in a house without the option of air-conditioning myself.

For me it's a reminder that I and a lot of us, are, whether we like it or not, whether we admit it or not, amateur mum & dad investors...

We don't know how to hanlde issues / objections (fair & unfair) aso the intial reaciton is to get annoyed and frustrated and blame the tenant for whinging...

I'd hate to live in a house without flyscreens, I don't see what's unreasonable about wanting flyscreens.. I think the difficulty people have is being able to say that to their tenants, so they wish their tenants wouldn't ask. Why not get rid of internal doors in the house, what do you "need" them for anyway ?

Of course, I am assuming house/t/houses & apaatments & villas what modern Aust capital cities might describe as normal accomodation for average people, not burnt caran parks or a dump that costs $25k to purchase or anything like that, I believe it they may logically be different and shouldn't be confused with the others.

Well, some of us are not amateur property investors.

We know how to handle these situations..we say no, unless it suits us.

We remind a tenant when they inspected the property, it didn't have this "request". We actually get very few requests for any extras.

A tenant is there only at our convenience. As soon as they are not convenient, their lease is not renewed.

Whether a property cost $25K or $500k is irrelevent.The rent was agreed upon. Continually adding features to a property, also means more features that need to be maintained. This cuts into our profit.
To me that would be no different than painting between tenants. Unless it needs it, it will not be done.

The argument about wanting to keep tenants happy, thus the reason for agreeing to accommodate tenants requests, that is a personal one.
Just not something we place too much importance on.

Well, some of us are not amateur property investors.

We know how to handle these situations..we say no, unless it suits us.

We remind a tenant when they inspected the property, it didn't have this "request". We actually get very few requests for any extras.

A tenant is there only at our convenience. As soon as they are not convenient, their lease is not renewed.

Whether a property cost $25K or $500k is irrelevent.The rent was agreed upon. Continually adding features to a property, also means more features that need to be maintained. This cuts into our profit.
To me that would be no different than painting between tenants. Unless it needs it, it will not be done.

The argument about wanting to keep tenants happy, thus the reason for agreeing to accommodate tenants requests, that is a personal one.
Just not something we place too much importance on.

KAthrymn,
re poeating yourself doens;'t meanb I will agree.

I know what your'e sayign & why & I did not mean to insinuate you are anything but tghe utmost professional you beleive you are.

I was talking abou tthe mere mortals the mojority of the rest of us are.

:"Unless it needs it..." as you said,
All I'm saying, after 38 urs living in Australia, , in a copiatal city wher eit's hot & we have flies & mosquitos,. I thnk it's pretty baltantly stupdid for a landlord not to put in flyscreens on a house. I dont;' see WHY someone whould try that on in the first place....

Why not leave it uncarpeted there's already a floor what else do they want ?LOL, in fact the floor is jsut as usedful without carpet, the window less so without flyscreens (unless you nejoy flys bugs and msquitoes,. maybe you do )

Anyway, not tryign to tell you what you shoudl do at all, I jsut don;t see the benfit of letting out preporties which are otherwise new with missing attributes that you woudl expect to find only in slum type of properties

I find it amazing that anybody could think that a house without flyscreens must be a dump .No worries Wylie, I find it just as amazing you said that

Back