Do you ever mention investing while at work?

Not everyone is supportive about weightloss either. Many people get jealous and narky and actively (or subconsciously) try to sabotage many people who are trying to better their health. Disbeleive, and negativity are the two most common reactions experienced by people who are trying to loose weight; often by those who claim to be their biggest supporters.

Some of the common responses to weight loss I have personally experienced or witnessed other experience are:
"You'll never stick with it"
"You'll never loose THAT much weight"
"I'll believe it when I see it"
"You'll put it back on"
"Go on, just one (chocolate, lollie, etc) won't hurt"
"I've heard that one before"
"but why do YOU want to loose weight?"
"You should stop loosing weight now, you look gaunt" (while still above the halthy BMI no less)
"You SHOULDN'T do it THAT way"
"If You just stopped eating so much and done more exercise, you wouldn't have a problem."

Not everyone is supportive about weightloss either. Many people get jealous and narky and actively (or subconsciously) try to sabotage many people who are trying to better their health. Disbeleive, and negativity are the two most common reactions experienced by people who are trying to loose weight; often by those who claim to be their biggest supporters.

Some of the common responses to weight loss I have personally experienced or witnessed other experience are:
"You'll never stick with it"
"You'll never loose THAT much weight"
"I'll believe it when I see it"
"You'll put it back on"
"Go on, just one (chocolate, lollie, etc) won't hurt"
"I've heard that one before"
"but why do YOU want to loose weight?"
"You should stop loosing weight now, you look gaunt" (while still above the halthy BMI no less)
"You SHOULDN'T do it THAT way"
"If You just stopped eating so much and done more exercise, you wouldn't have a problem."

Yep, the clasisic, "I already know the answers - it's........ which is why I can't be f**ked listening to this crap anymore"

Happens with money as well as other things in life

I truly doubt we have found the holy grail and one & only thing that illicits these reactions

I disagree completely. I think investing and fitness can be paralleled almost to a tee.

Category 1 - Hardcore Freaks

You have your hardcore nuts who do it every day - regardless, it is their top priority, nothing gets in the way of them spending time on their passion. They get good at it, and it shows. It consumes them. They love talking about it, they live and breathe it.

Category 2 - Middle Wannabes

Then you've got your middle of the road wannabes who are glad they are doing something, know they are better than the great unwashed, but marvel at the hardcore nuts who seem to make the impossible easy. They yearn and crave to be up in category 1, but just can't / won't bring themselves to sacrifice the time and effort necessary.

Category 3 - Also rans

Then you've then got your 'also rans', who do the odd thing here and there, but it's no big deal to them either way. They really couldn't give a flying fig if they didn't do another thing for the next 10 years and are happy to simply cruise. Vast bulk of the population are in here.

Category 4 - Sloths

Then you've got your sloths. Hopeless, won't hear about doing anything to improve their lot in life and blame their condition (financial or physical) on anyone who is in finger pointing range. Think the whole thing is a complete waste of time and -- do you mind, get out of the way -- I'm trying to watch some American drivel on TV which is far more important.

I think the parallels between being good at investing and fitness are very strong indeed.

Being a category 4 in both disciplines, I speak from experience. :)

Great Post Dazz!

When I read Deltaberrys post re. investing and fitness being poles apart I also thought 'no quite similar mindsets required actually'. I was going to post but glad I didn't as you put it much more eloquently and acurately than I could of.

Re. fitness I'm a solid 2 ATM but have previously been an almost OCD 1 after having drifted to an out of shape overweight 3, some years ago. I found it is much easier cruising as a solid 2 than rollercosting from 3 to 1 and back again when it comes to fitness and investing.

cheers

Stick with it Dazz.... it'll make more sense after a few beers :D

Heck.... just read your next post. I think we both need a few beers :)

I'm just saying it is not in anyway limited to talking about investing and that people do this in all facets of life.

Agree. When I wrote the last post I was thinking more of other things, not so much IP's.

Mother I know who bores everyone because she talks about her son's accomplishments CONSTANTLY (true - nice kid but like every other).

Mother at the school, at the end of the day, sigh's, because she's had a tiring day shopping for boots. Couldn't decide which she liked most so bought 3 pairs, 2 pairs in different colours. The damage was $800-. 5 mums stood around looking enthrauled while she went on and on about the shopping expedition. Same mum does this a lot and finds it hard not turning the conversation into a 'I can afford SO much' one.

Consequently everyone avoids both.

BORING...

I have three staff in the workshop who are 35, 50, and 62 respectively.

All renting.

They know I own a few IP's, and know of the current PPoR build in progress (but not the financial dimensions of it).

I get on well with all the boys; we all sit down for a pie and coffee at smoko (I don't have the pie - gotta think of the health a bit), have a beer after work etc, so I would think I am at least half approachable on stuff.

Have not yet been asked a question about financial anything. I have tried to go down that path very subtly on a couple of occasions....I've given up unless asked.

I have three staff in the workshop who are 35, 50, and 62 respectively.

All renting.

They know I own a few IP's, and know of the current PPoR build in progress (but not the financial dimensions of it).

I get on well with all the boys; we all sit down for a pie and coffee at smoko (I don't have the pie - gotta think of the health a bit), have a beer after work etc, so I would think I am at least half approachable on stuff.

Have not yet been asked a question about financial anything. I have tried to go down that path very subtly on a couple of occasions....I've given up unless asked.

Not everyone is interested in other people's financial acheivements, who would have known ?

Should they be ? and should they be willing to listen weehn I am ready and wanting to talk about myself, i.e. when I feel like popping it into a conversation ?

Not everyone is interested in other people's financial acheivements, who would have known ?

Should they be ? and should they be willing to listen weehn I am ready and wanting to talk about myself, i.e. when I feel like popping it into a conversation ?

You're good at repeating things I say back to me. I have already said the above bold quote in a subliminal way.

I was wondering when the "so what?" counter-post towards me would come from you. Took a bit longer than usual. :rolleyes:

Jaycee, you are really quite amusing.

In case you hadn't noticed, the thread was about "do you mention investing while at work?"

So, I was giving my anecdotal experience, as have others. We try to mention stuff and try to help those who could do with a bit, but it is mostly unreciprocated for various reasons, and we are discussing them here.

You can keep on wading in and disagreeing with me, or "so what?" me at every post as long as you like buddy, I'm not fussed.

You should put me on ignore, and then my silly posts wouldn't annoy you - as they obviously do.

Anyway; I digress....

I didn't at any stage mention that I wanted to or try to talk about myself to these guys at work; you simply assumed that.

What I did try to do is offer some help - very subtly, and when the topic of conversation was relevent to it - to possibly help them avoid their retirement lives as pensioners.

Maybe they want pensionerville? Who knows....

Last edited:
You're good at repeating things I say back to me. I have already said the above bold quote in a subliminal way.

I was wondering when the "so what?" counter-post towards me would come from you. Took a bit longer than usual. :rolleyes:

Jaycee, you are really quite amusing.

In case you hadn't noticed, the thread was about "do you mention investing while at work?"

So, I was giving my anecdotal experience, as have others. We try to mention stuff and try to help those who could do with a bit, but it is mostly unreciprocated for various reasons, and we are discussing them here.

You can keep on wading in and disagreeing with me, or "so what?" me at every post as long as you like buddy, I'm not fussed.

You should put me on ignore, and then my silly posts wouldn't annoy you - as they obviously do.

Anyway; I digress....

I didn't at any stage mention that I wanted to or try to talk about myself to these guys at work; you simply assumed that.

What I did try to do is offer some help - very subtly, and when the topic of conversation was relevent to it - to possibly help them avoid their retirement lives as pensioners.

Maybe they want pensionerville? Who knows....

I thought I was just contributing to a topic, in this case, by repsonding to something said by someone named BAYVIEW... I do it all the time , quote other people and repsond to wha they've said, it's nothging personal

If you don't like me doing it to your posts I can stop.

Sorry if I offended you, I just likeddiscussing the topic and can accept that we don't see eye to eye all the time, but as we are just putting up anectodatal expriences and thougths, I felt I was just dong the same as you were (?)

I never suggested you wanted to talk about yourself, I was talking about how sometimes, people don't want to hear what others want to discuss, just like weg said, sometmes people don't want to hear about your kids or whatever, or other "advice" / examples etc someone else may have. I just don't see it as wierd a human trait as people seem to be making out of it, it's completely in line with every other aspect of life I've experienced(?) UII as jstu trying to say, that;'s what we shoudl sort of expect as it's normal in my experience, not surprising/rare....

It certainly was nothing personal to you Marc. as I tried to say to you on an earlier post(not on this thread) where you told me I obviously "don't like you" (?!!!!!!), I have nothing against you, honestly, I don't know you, I do not "dislike you", it's just a forum and I'm just replying to posts.

I thought I was just contributing to a topic, in this case, by repsonding to something said by someone named BAYVIEW... I do it all the time , quote other people and repsond to wha they've said, it's nothging personal

If you don't like me doing it to your posts I can stop.

Sorry if I offended you, I just likeddiscussing the topic and can accept that we don't see eye to eye all the time, but as we are just putting up anectodatal expriences and thougths, I felt I was just dong the same as you were (?)

I never suggested you wanted to talk about yourself, I was talking about how sometimes, people don't want to hear what others want to discuss, just like weg said, sometmes people don't want to hear about your kids or whatever, or other "advice" / examples etc someone else may have. I just don't see it as wierd a human trait as people seem to be making out of it, it's completely in line with every other aspect of life I've experienced(?) UII as jstu trying to say, that;'s what we shoudl sort of expect as it's normal in my experience, not surprising/rare....

It certainly was nothing personal to you Marc. as I tried to say to you on an earlier post(not on this thread) where you told me I obviously "don't like you" (?!!!!!!), I have nothing against you, honestly, I don't know you, I do not "dislike you", it's just a forum and I'm just replying to posts.

No worries there JC. We're good.

All fun for me; I like to stir the pot as you know.

In all truthfulness, the more I chat about my business/investing etc, the worse the reactions from the people around me.

Theres something called cognitive dissonence - its what happens when you hear the truth about something, but that truth is so far removed from what you normally believe that your mind rejects it, and you get angry at the person telling you the truth.

Im sure lots of us have been in that spot where you start chatting about investing or whatever, because youre passionate, and the person hearing it (usually a friend/relative) thinks youre bragging or being innappropriate, and you can see that theyre not exactly happy for you.

Speech is silver, but silence is golden.

Theres something called cognitive dissonence - its what happens when you hear the truth about something, but that truth is so far removed from what you normally believe that your mind rejects it, and you get angry at the person telling you the truth.

Im sure lots of us have been in that spot where you start chatting about investing or whatever, because youre passionate, and the person hearing it (usually a friend/relative) thinks youre bragging or being innappropriate, and you can see that theyre not exactly happy for you.

That's exactly how I reacted with the last Jehovah's Witness that came to my door.

Because he wasn't a friend/relative I felt comfortable shutting the door in his face, mid sentence :D.

A Jehova's Witness came to my dor last night, and I said come'on in, what do you want to talk about?

He said, "I've got no freakin' idea. I've never made it this far before!"

When I started getting serious about this journey, I was often coming back to the office from the library at lunchtime with my arms full of investing books - property and shares.

Those that saw them, and asked questions, I discussed with. I was derided by some, but one of my closest colleagues has since started investing seriously himself, and has built approximately $150k of investment equity!

I like to think I've had some small part of that.

I've got a couple of people on to the road to investing.

One was a girl I see infrequently, mid 40's at the time, renting a then 10 year old villa type 'housing trust' home in a new estate, earning around 70K a year.

She told me this particular day how she'd missed the boat with marriage, having children and buying a house. She also told me she had the option of buying the home she lived in at a fair price, but couldn't afford it... so we did the sums and more - this was around 2003.

I got a call out of the blue a couple of months later to say she'd bought the house. A couple of years later she'd bought another and owed 90K on the first by paying extra (value now about 380K).

I have heard since that she has bought another.

This girl was really keen once I said it was very doable. It's a big difference however to talking 'passionately' to people who aren't interested.

When I started getting serious about this journey, I was often coming back to the office from the library at lunchtime with my arms full of investing books - property and shares.

Those that saw them, and asked questions, I discussed with. I was derided by some, but one of my closest colleagues has since started investing seriously himself, and has built approximately $150k of investment equity!

I like to think I've had some small part of that.

I'm not that different. Some people noticed me on property or bank sites, and I got overheard on the phone once, which all invited questions and I'd answer them.

A few of these people have followed suit which is great... but a couple of them haven't exactly made the best investment decisions, even after my useless attempts to convince them to go in another direction... so I really try to not talk about investing much these days.

If someone asks something I'll give an answer mentioning how we have to give up certain luxuries to think about affording any sort of investment, and then ask them if they would be willing to do the same? Which is usually a no, and often the convo has drifted away from investing into something more enjoyable, such as what sort of car we'd like to buy, or what sort of holiday we'd like, etc :D

*snip*
If someone asks something I'll give an answer mentioning how we have to give up certain luxuries to think about affording any sort of investment, and then ask them if they would be willing to do the same? Which is usually a no, and often the convo has drifted away from investing into something more enjoyable, such as what sort of car we'd like to buy, or what sort of holiday we'd like, etc :D

Aaaahhhh, the great unwashed! :) It's easier to deny oneself when there's a holiday or new car at the end rather than a boring old investment!

(Thx, BTW)

Never have talked about it and won't do so until a week or so before I quit (to motivate others, not create jealousy). Most staff at work suffer from tall poppy syndrome when it comes to anyone young so best to not mention it or just lie about what I do in my free time. I even ask other property investors to stay discreet about my situation if they know anyone from my workplace (quite common). Also don't talk to anyone else who'd like to tell me I can't do it, that's impossible, investing is risky etc.

Back