Do you feel like a nerd?

Now I've gotten to investing full on and spend a lot of time thinking about it, learning about it, talking about it, and it's kinda become a part of my life I'm beginning to feel like a bit of a nerd for the first time,

Anyone else feel like this?

I'm hoping now I can take a back seat for a while as the past 4 months have just been buy buy buy and in that order, just as one settles its on to the next one so I think I've done enough for now and will just take a breather for a little while until the bug bites hard enough again, well.. what I really mean by that is when the banks are willing to lend me more money.. :rolleyes:

Now I've gotten to investing full on and spend a lot of time thinking about it, learning about it, talking about it, and it's kinda become a part of my life I'm beginning to feel like a bit of a nerd for the first time,

You mean there's life outside of this?
I thought what you described above was normal and everyone felt like this. Well, everyone I know does, anyway.

i've always been a bit of a nerd.
Now with property investing, i can be a nerd and make some money too :)

Unfortunately it bores some of my friends.... but like you W2BW, i'm taking some time off until we can afford to buy again. Maybe it's time to pick up those old nerdy hobbies i had before playing with houses.
Unfortunately playing with cars is too expensive, so i guess i'll have to be an xbox n3rd.
*hugs xbox*

And I'll also add that I find that all my mates become 'jealous'

I dont talk to them about it, only if they ask but its fun for them to say 'its your buy mr I own 15 houses' at the pub and stuff, that one never gets old, for them..
The way I see it is if I can do it and they want to do it then theres no reason why they cant so theres no need for them to feel that way.

I've not spoken to some of my 'best' mates for a while because I'm just bored of them and I have nothing to say anymore, I thought it was just me and I've changed but I went out n saw some of my old mates last night and had a great time, so that makes me feel alot better.

The trials n tribulations of being wealthier than your mates can be a downfall but in the end if they cant handle my success then I dont want to be involved, I have a good home life with the missus and were happy, thats all we really need.

I have changed but I think the difference id I've changed for the best.

One thing I've learned (apart from "woman are dangerous") is that successful people tend to hang with other like minded people. It seems to be a given.
Sure, they see old friends from time to time, but spend most of their free time with others who share their passion.
One of the motivational spruikers says that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. I believe that to be quite true.
Yes, I do need to get out more. I've lost track of the number of people on this forum who have told me that. Maybe this weekend, unless I get the keys to my new reno project :)

I'M A PROPERTY NERD.....

AND PROUD OF IT!

When I first started on this road, I used to drive my wife mad with endless discussions about it, but I realised I had to tone it down or get divorced I reckon.

Now, she is on the same page, and we are the nerds in our circle of people. We don't discuss it much with anyone else because of this, unfortunately.

Wrong guys. I have it on good authority (my fiancee) that we're defined as 'dorks.' Nerds are those that have great book smarts and ace all the tests etc - and I'm certainly not one of those!

And I'll also add that I find that all my mates become 'jealous'

I dont talk to them about it, only if they ask but its fun for them to say 'its your buy mr I own 15 houses' at the pub and stuff, that one never gets old, for them..
The way I see it is if I can do it and they want to do it then theres no reason why they cant so theres no need for them to feel that way.

I've not spoken to some of my 'best' mates for a while because I'm just bored of them and I have nothing to say anymore, I thought it was just me and I've changed but I went out n saw some of my old mates last night and had a great time, so that makes me feel alot better.

The trials n tribulations of being wealthier than your mates can be a downfall but in the end if they cant handle my success then I dont want to be involved, I have a good home life with the missus and were happy, thats all we really need.

Agree with those thoughts. Don't know if my friends are jealous - if they have they have'nt said it outright - but I do find I seem to have outgrown some of them, and just aren't as interested in seeing them as much anymore.

I'm with Wiltz.

Always been a bit ( maybe a lot ...) of a nerd .

Favourite Movie going through uni ....??

Revenge of the Nerds

Cliff

Looks like she's right. Couple definitions of Dork:

Dork: Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks. (apparently it's also a whale's pen!$ :D)

and I think my fiancee must have written this one personally!:

Dork: Someone who does things that are kinda silly and not neccessarily cool but always cute

and a couple popular definitions of Nerd:

Nerd: An individual persecuted for his superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy him.
Nerd: A stereotypical label used to describe a person that is socially inadequate. A four letter word, but a six figure income. Think Bill Gates, but typically on a smaller scale.

kinda feel like a nerd at times, however i dont give a **.. i can be a wealthy nerd...

id rather consider myself as being arrogant for being unique :)

Although to answer your original question W2BW, no I don't feel like a nerd/dork.

To be honest, I can't understand why all people don't think like us at least to a smaller degree. I can't comprehend going through life day to day never thinking about the future, planning for what will come. If more people did this, perhaps they'd realise they'll be working until they're 65-70 to retire on a lovely pension (assuming it still exists) and perhaps some super payments.

Granted, business/property/finance/planning etc. is a HUGE part of my life which I wouldn't expect most people to find as interesting, but that's because I enjoy it. But to not think about these things at all is just bizarre to me.

My best mate is a valuer and since I've become a BA we've had the blessing of being able to work together on some projects.

Apart from that most of the mates I grew up with are starting to get into property and I'm usually the first point of contact for some advice so I guess I feel lucky - definitely not nerdy.

people talk about what is important to them. I think I've got to that stage where property is just like any other business/work and I prefer to keep work and private life separate.

Property, making money..sure makes me happy but no where near as giddy as if my son did something really cute today.

I tend to talk about family, parenting, babies, travel, shopping coz that's my interest. Also, about world news. My hubby seems to know a bit about everything and he's really into sports too. PPl that just talk about property only would drive me bananas.

That's one of the reasons I rarely go to meets, coz I would prefer to get to know ppl but seems everyone just want to talk about property, current deals etc It can become really boring quickly.

I would also say that 'nerd' is the wrong term to use. It's not rocket science to buy properties and make money from it. I think anyone can do it. Nerds are highly intellectual people like that guy from Criminal Minds lol So don't worry, you're definitely not a nerd.

Do I feel like a nerd? Yes and no. I was never one to enjoy studying or doing stuff with computers and I much prefer pysical activites. However I don't go out every weekend drinking like most people my age and don't have much to do with my old friends anymore. I also don't waste my money and I play Playstation. I'm not sure, am I a nerd?

Back