Do you like "the Masters experience" ?

Bunnings for me. I've been to Masters once and it was only due to a catalogue sale they had on cheap upright stove I needed for an IP that had just settled last year. Price was (very) right at the time and free delivery. No arguments from me.

The store looks prettier inside than Bunnings especially the section where they display the kitchens and bathrooms. They did have a lot of home appliances for sale. I looked around the hardware section and tools and whatnot and didn't think they were value compared to Bunnings nor was the range the same. Some competition is good for the consumer......

We have recently had a Masters built (opened earlier this year) - so what does Bunnings do? Builds a new store TWICE as big as Masters next door! Wesfarmers are smart! That will drive Masters even lower, especially in our region.

They have done the exact same thing in Cairns. New Masters built a few years ago which isn't that far from the existing Bunnings but now the site across the road from Masters has been bought by Bunnings and they're building a big new store there.

I know someone who works for Masters and the way the store is run and how the employees are treated I would be surprised if they're still in business in 10 years time. Lowes in the US own 1/3 of Masters and they must see where it's headed as they're looking to get rid of their 1/3 ownership.

I prefer Bunnings over Masters, but I did work for Bunnings for 6 years and enjoyed my time there as a 'Team Member' and shopper!

I've never been to a Masters - none close to me. I have a local Mitre 10 that charges crazy prices. My closest Bunnings is at Mascot. Best time to go there? Friday evening - a bit sad, I know. I often duck over there at 6.30 (after peak hour) and get what I need for the weekend. The place is always deserted. The only downside is no sausage sizzle.

I'm generally a late night Bunnings shopper too, the only downside is if you actually need someone who knows what they are talking about, you're going to be out of luck.

Anyone tried Masters Pascol paint range , was a slightly cheaper range many years ago, haven't seen it on the shelves for years.
$20 for 4 litres which one would think is now the bottom of the range , advertising it in full page adverts.
Only comes in two colours , white and cream and satin or flat.

I'm generally a late night Bunnings shopper too, the only downside is if you actually need someone who knows what they are talking about, you're going to be out of luck.

Yes, I never have any expectation of assistance. Often I help out other people who I sometimes pass several times staring at one thing and looking confused.

I really like Masters. I have to go to Northland for the closest but the staff are always so helpful. No doubt because no one else is usually there at the time. What is more they recognise me next time I go back :)

I like the stock and love being able to wander around without kids and mini trolleys bumping into me all the time. I generally use the Bunnings Eltham Store which is a lot smaller than the Masters Northland Branch.

I have a friend whose job was to hire a number of people with Disabilities for each Masters Store. I really applaud this venture.

Chris

We spend thousands at Bunnings,

But near one of our IPs masters had just been built. Purchased 1 packet of pegs for $2 a benchtop $500 ( I think) and internal light $50

Pegs broke Straight away...
Benchtop corner chipped 2 days after we installed it
Light... Still working

Seems their stuff is very poor quality.... Very gutted about benchtop

Anyone tried Masters Pascol paint range , was a slightly cheaper range many years ago, haven't seen it on the shelves for years.
$20 for 4 litres which one would think is now the bottom of the range , advertising it in full page adverts.
Only comes in two colours , white and cream and satin or flat.

Cheap paint can flake/peel very fast.
Not to say Masters Pascol will be like that, but if it were me, I'd use it initially somewhere where it would be easy to repaint.
You'll only know after wear and tear (moisture etc) and time (5-7 years).

12 months ago, I bought a wrought iron outdoor setting at Masters and am happy with it. I would go their to buy the homewares stuff but Bunnings for the maintenance stuff. As others have said at least there is some competition and slightly various items eg vacuum cleaners white goods at Masters etc

Masters simply doesn't have the range for real hardware, especially for tools and related. Usually only one high end brand per type - not enough if you are serious and want a choice.

Bunnings mostly here.

Saw that the local Mitre 10 in Mt Ommaney is now closed.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid.

Back