Do you trust TrueLocal?

I am sure many people here looking for quality tradies, many people visit TrueLocal for information. How reliable is the informaion from TrueLocal?

I have read some discussions about it on whirlpool's forum. The concensus is that the reviews on TrueLocal is deceptive and unreliable because TrueLocal allows only positive review to be published. This means that any dodgy tradies can post their own positive but fake "review" while consumers are not allowed to conteract it.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1835321

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1359900

I've found the phone numbers usually work so it's useful for hunting down specific businesses in specific locations. Far better than the yellow pages. I can't say I bother with the recommendations as I get those from other individuals.

i dont trust the reviews but i do find the search engine usefull as if i haven't dealt with a trades person before i find they are more likely to come and quote if its in the same suburb.

.....if its in the same suburb....
This is an interesting one.

Generally, IMO, I understand that dodgy tradies rely on TrueLocal's local newspaper and online listing as they can't get referral from their previous clients. They wouldn't have any business if they also fail to turn up and give you a quote.

My concern is the way TrueLocal conducts its business. They provide platform for dodgy tradies to promote themselves and to continue to con their clients while prevent genuine customers to tell their experience.

This is an interesting one.

Generally, IMO, I understand that dodgy tradies rely on TrueLocal's local newspaper and online listing as they can't get referral from their previous clients. They wouldn't have any business if they also fail to turn up and give you a quote.

My concern is the way TrueLocal conducts its business. They provide platform for dodgy tradies to promote themselves and to continue to con their clients while prevent genuine customers to tell their experience.

i am with you i would prefer to use a recommended trade everytime. But who is it being recommended by if its not a friend they generally have a vested interest, e.g. an agency that uses a trade may get kickbacks, discounts, etc... a hardware store may recommend a trade because they buy from the hardware store, what weight do you put on these recommendations?

In the first instance i will always try and get a trade i know to come out and often don't even get a firm 'quote' more a ballpark and bill deal, but so far i haven't had the luxury of renovating or building 10+ houses in one area so i am often in a new area and need a few quotes, for that i tend to deal with someone local so at least they are likely to show up and often will take the job even if they are busy because its easy for them especially something where they need to come back more than once e.g. plumbing/wiring/plastering

Interesting topic here.

I find that from a business perspective I have quite a few calls come from TrueLocal customers, which I suspect is because you can add deals that last a couple of months.

It would allow dodgy tradies to portray themselves in a misleading light, but most people would use a service based on friends recommendations. Bad news travels much further than good, so eventually it will catch up with the dodgy tradies anyway. In all services it is worth calling around and getting written quotes emailed to you so you've got it there in writing.

What about service central ? Same ? I have used them recently. Not really here of there on it...

At least the tradies that are keen called me ! Rather than me chasing them..

I tried to start a few posts here to refer trades but it didn't take off..

Happy to try again... Nothing like a good reference when your tryin to get something done..

Georod3:
Service Central allows both positive and negative review. Because my previous electrician disappeared, I had to find a new a electrician recently. After reading some review, I made a call and had job done just before Christmas. No complaint.

I work in a company with about 300 staff and we have a community email, I'm starting to ping this lately with good results...

At least the people at work are trusted and normally someone knows someone that's good ...

My problem has then been .. They are not available ! Good people are hard to find....

Try WOMO.com.au - Word Of Mouth Online. All businesses are reviewed and there are plenty of both positive and negative reviews. (Actually has far more reviews than TrueLocal.) Great for finding reliable tradies - I've found several myself.

Try WOMO.com.au - Word Of Mouth Online. All businesses are reviewed and there are plenty of both positive and negative reviews. (Actually has far more reviews than TrueLocal.) Great for finding reliable tradies - I've found several myself.

Isn't this the same site that was paying people to write positive reviews when it first launched?

I have just posted a negative review on TrueLocal. There seemed to be other negative reviews for the company as well. So, it doesnt seem to be preventing them, for this company at least.
But I will also try some of the other websites people have mentioned in my social networking blitz with the poor removalist we used.

First post = spam?

Back