Do you use a dishwasher?

Do you use a dishwasher

• Yes

Votes: 76 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 30.9%

• Total voters
Also bought one of those round automatic vaccuum cleaners that you switch on and set to vaccum for 15 minutes and then it goes back into its charger - vaccuums the floor all by itself - its absolutley brilliant!! Now all I need is an automatic lawn mower & wardrobe tidier and I'll be set!! :D

Where do you get one of these, Kate? That sounds like an absolute godsend!

I love my automatic appliances in today's modern world ie: dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, pool cleaner, tv remotes, my auto Toyota (though I have to admit I can drive a manual if need be!). This is a great era we live in!

Got one has been used by friends twice

however we don't use it as only 3 people in the house most times

don't see the point since you got to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher anyway

It stinks after when u open it to put more dishes. Nothing more annoying than looking for something that hasn't been washed, sitting in the dishwashern half empty.

Hand wash for me thank u

I load the dishwasher, after say brekky and run the rinse cycle. That does the rinsing for me. I get really frustrated watching other people running the tap whilst rinsing one plate at a time and placing it in the dishwasher (tap still on, of course), pick up next plate, rinse that etc etc.

I grew up with parents who rinsed before placing in the dishwasher. It was normal for me too. One day I was rinsing plates and a friend was watching me. She said "you have paid good money for a European dishwasher that uses very little water, but you are using more than you are saving by rinsing". It was a lightbulb moment.

Now I find it frustrating to watch others waste water. I try to not waste water and it is just a little thing that annoys me, like running the tap whilst cleaning teeth.

If we don't put ours on once a day, it does stink though, whether the dishes are rinsed or not.

Perhaps I need to get out more :D.

But has it haPpened to u that u need your favorite breakfast bowl and someone's used it and it's sitting in the dishwasher, next to the egg-smelling dish? Oh bad experiences ... U have to take it out and hand wash it. My policy is to always wash the dishes after a snack or meal. Dishes are always ready for use, nice smell too.:D

I'm old fashioned :D

Ahhhh...... the "run out of dishes" scenario :).

We got our first dishwasher 20 years ago (but mum got one when I was about 15 because we had a six day a week business, and it was a luxury to lessen her "home" workload).

We learned early on that you need a LOT of plates. We buy three (or four) sets of the same dishes (at the sales) and so we rarely run out of dishes.

We also learned early on that the "formal" set with the silver rims was only ever used at Christmas because it had to be hand washed. It went to Cash Converters :D.

So, I understand the "yuck" factor you are talking about when you have to stick your head into a smelly machine, but the extra dishes idea works well.

In our furnished bachelor suites we installed dishwasher and a very tiny kitchen sink.
We also supplied every unit with a service for 8, so they would have lots to fill the dishwasher with.
Except with one young man who put regular dishwashing detergent in (and there were bubbles everywhere :D ) they all seem to love it.

I love my dishwasher (betsy is her name) and I even put the "good" china in. We only use that set maybe 3 times a year so I figure it will take decades to wear off the silver and by then I won't care less as it will then be the "old" plates and not the "good" ones. I scrape before it goes in and soak only cooked on stuff (lasagne dishes and the like).

We used to have a dishwasher MANY moons ago when the kids were small...CONSTANT fights to load the b%^$dy dishwasher!!......one day it broke down..."OH dear kids..we can't afford to replace it ,,awwww "
All of a suuden we had a routine where the kids did the dishes (one washed.one wiped/put away) :)

fast forward a few years ..kids moved out and :) we got a new dishwasher.. kids asked why??? our answer?...coz you moved out :)

basic answer is...I have not often washed dishes since I moved out of my mother's house :).................some jobs are just built for kids :)

I would use my dishwasher...

But it just broke down. Actually it shows a 'drainage' fault but my sparky hubby has literately turned it upside down and pumped all the water out and made sure there is no blockage and it still won't work!

Time a get me a new one (dishwasher I mean:p)

Karen

But it just broke down. Actually it shows a 'drainage' fault but my sparky hubby has literately turned it upside down and pumped all the water out and made sure there is no blockage and it still won't work!

Time a get me a new one (dishwasher I mean:p)

Karen

Try this..it works fairly often:
On the bottom side of it, there is a small pump.Take the cover off the impeller and look for veggie scraps that have gotten stuck in the impella or past the impella in the back flow prevention valve.

My husband has fixed many dishwashers this way..he gave me the instructions for you to try.

But has it haPpened to u that u need your favorite breakfast bowl and someone's used it and it's sitting in the dishwasher, next to the egg-smelling dish? Oh bad experiences ... U have to take it out and hand wash it. My policy is to always wash the dishes after a snack or meal. Dishes are always ready for use, nice smell too.:D

I'm old fashioned :D

Why don't you buy 10 of the same and you wouldn't have that problem - a favourite bowl that is :p.

It's called 'set in your ways', not old fashioned :D.

we have a dishwasher, its 5 years old but brand new, used only twice I think. I understand that some people can't live without one, and this is not having a go at dishwashers, but I don't grasp the efficiency gains of walking all the way to the kitchen, opening the dishwasher, putting dishes in, then unloading again. By time I have done that I could have washed 5 plates, 10 pieces of cutlery and a few pots and glasses.

Also, have friends who say just drop the plates in the dishwasher and then turn on overnight. Sounds good, but a dirty plate (and depending on what was eaten), by time you place it in, say 7pm, then turn it on 11.30pm, some stuff may have turned so rock hard you would need an oxy to move it (or will the dishwasher do the trick?)

we have a dishwasher, its 5 years old but brand new, used only twice I think. I understand that some people can't live without one, and this is not having a go at dishwashers, but I don't grasp the efficiency gains of walking all the way to the kitchen, opening the dishwasher, putting dishes in, then unloading again. By time I have done that I could have washed 5 plates, 10 pieces of cutlery and a few pots and glasses.

Also, have friends who say just drop the plates in the dishwasher and then turn on overnight. Sounds good, but a dirty plate (and depending on what was eaten), by time you place it in, say 7pm, then turn it on 11.30pm, some stuff may have turned so rock hard you would need an oxy to move it (or will the dishwasher do the trick?)

Cadan,

I have to walk to the kitchen and put the dishes either in the sink to hand wash them, or the dishwaher to load it - the walk from the dining table doesnt dissapear if I choose to manually wash the dishes - it takes the same amount of time for me to walk the same distance to the same kitchen

The dishwahser will do the trick on most dishes, just like washing by hand will do the trick on most dishes, otherwise we wouldn't be satisfied with their performance either.

Last edited:
Try this..it works fairly often:
On the bottom side of it, there is a small pump.Take the cover off the impeller and look for veggie scraps that have gotten stuck in the impella or past the impella in the back flow prevention valve.

My husband has fixed many dishwashers this way..he gave me the instructions for you to try.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get the electrician to do a plumbers job tonight and see if he rises to the occasion.

My dish draw dishwasher started making bad noises, i called warrenty service they said if its my fault i would have to pay call out fee. Technician came pulled the inside of the draw apart including the rotor and base plate in bottom of dishwasher, miraculously retrives a small chicken bone and declares that it was my fault and i would have to pay $120.

I just refused to pay and told him the only way he was getting any money was if he wrote it up as a warrenty job. My reasoning was if something can get past the filter and jam in the machine it is a design flaw and not my problem. He told me he was very disspointed with my attitude and left.

Other then that it is a great dishwasher

Our house has the recess, plumbing & GPO under the kitchen bench for one but we never bought one to go in. Just as easy to fill the sink.

Back