Dodgy Agent

Hi Guys,
My mother was selling one of her properties a few weeks ago. She had one agent around to do an appraisal, the same agent who had sold it to her over a decade ago, and the agent told her a price that my mum thought was too low, but she went ahead with listing it at that price anyway. Anyhow I told my mum to ask her to put a FROM in front of the price because at least then my mum had a chance of getting the appraised price instead of having to accept lower offers, the agent didnt do it. She also wrote a bad advertisement, did not mention any of the horse facilities or the fact that the 2 and a half acres was zoned for future urban development. I thought she didn't really try very hard... but anyway... 3 days after it was listed she contacts my mum with an offer from someone for 20k under the advertised price. My mum has an offer on another property AND she is a pushover, the RE put pressure on her to accept this low offer. I said to her dont take it your place has only been for sale for 3 days and you already feel that its too low. She tells the agent she will accept the offer. In the meantime my husband's boss finds out that we are not buying the property and lets his sister know that it is on the market, she called the agent wanting to have a look, RE tells her "sorry its sold" despite the fact that mum has not signed anything yet. Anyway I manage to convince my mum to let these other people have a look at the house and they immediately fell in love with it. They drive to the RE office and tell them they want to make an offer, the RE comes out and tells them they cannot, it is sold. They argue with her and say that they KNOW it isnt sold, they just spoke to the owner. RE goes off and gets on the phone for half an hour- not to my mother, she doesnt call mum til later on- and then eventually comes out and lets them put an offer on paper.
Eventually she calls my mum and says "I have 2 offers for you" and presents them both, the people we know through my husbands boss had offered 10k more than the first offer, but magically that first offer is now slightly more than the couple that we knew. Mum picks the couple she met anyway because she liked them and doesnt really care about the money.
We heard later from people who live in the area that this RE is known for underselling properties to herself through family and contacts etc and we think this is what she was trying to do. What do you think? I mean she did a shitty advertisement, she did not try to get the most $$ she could for her client (by pushing my mother to accept a low offer so early on and also by refusing to let at least one other party that we know of look at the property, then trying to turn them away when they wanted to make an offer!). And then after my mum accepted this couple's offer the RE said to them that she could sell the place on for them straight away if they liked!!

Sorry this is a long post, it happened a few weeks ago now so what happened is less fresh in my mind and I have gotten over my initial angriness. Do you think she was pulling a dodgy though? And if she was, what can I do? As usual my mother doesn't care, because she is a pushover and just never wants to cause any trouble for anybody and she likes the mutual friend she ended up selling it to. The couple who bought the place are annoyed about the run around that this woman gave them trying to prevent them from being able to purchase the property, and I am just plain angry that my mum has to pay this woman around $15,000 for her 4 days of work in which she turned away the people who ultimately paid more for my mums property. I do not feel that she was working on behalf of her client, I dont know what she was doing. The people who had to do all the work to get my mum some extra $ was my husband, mum and myself! What can I do?

Looks like the agent was trying to pull a fast one right from the get go. She was trying to sell it to someone she knew for a low price.

I'd make a formal compliant to Fair Trading or whatever it is in QLD. Some forum members from QLD could help.

I'd write a diary of events/dates while you can remember them.

Horrible story. I got halfway through reading it before thinking the same. Agent must be selling it to a friend or something.

Hi Guys,
My mother was selling one of her properties a few weeks ago. She had one agent around to do an appraisal, the same agent who had sold it to her over a decade ago, and the agent told her a price that my mum thought was too low, but she went ahead with listing it at that price anyway. Anyhow I told my mum to ask her to put a FROM in front of the price because at least then my mum had a chance of getting the appraised price instead of having to accept lower offers, the agent didnt do it. She also wrote a bad advertisement, did not mention any of the horse facilities or the fact that the 2 and a half acres was zoned for future urban development. I thought she didn't really try very hard... but anyway... 3 days after it was listed she contacts my mum with an offer from someone for 20k under the advertised price. My mum has an offer on another property AND she is a pushover, the RE put pressure on her to accept this low offer. I said to her dont take it your place has only been for sale for 3 days and you already feel that its too low. She tells the agent she will accept the offer. In the meantime my husband's boss finds out that we are not buying the property and lets his sister know that it is on the market, she called the agent wanting to have a look, RE tells her "sorry its sold" despite the fact that mum has not signed anything yet. Anyway I manage to convince my mum to let these other people have a look at the house and they immediately fell in love with it. They drive to the RE office and tell them they want to make an offer, the RE comes out and tells them they cannot, it is sold. They argue with her and say that they KNOW it isnt sold, they just spoke to the owner. RE goes off and gets on the phone for half an hour- not to my mother, she doesnt call mum til later on- and then eventually comes out and lets them put an offer on paper.
Eventually she calls my mum and says "I have 2 offers for you" and presents them both, the people we know through my husbands boss had offered 10k more than the first offer, but magically that first offer is now slightly more than the couple that we knew. Mum picks the couple she met anyway because she liked them and doesnt really care about the money.
We heard later from people who live in the area that this RE is known for underselling properties to herself through family and contacts etc and we think this is what she was trying to do. What do you think? I mean she did a shitty advertisement, she did not try to get the most $$ she could for her client (by pushing my mother to accept a low offer so early on and also by refusing to let at least one other party that we know of look at the property, then trying to turn them away when they wanted to make an offer!). And then after my mum accepted this couple's offer the RE said to them that she could sell the place on for them straight away if they liked!!

Sorry this is a long post, it happened a few weeks ago now so what happened is less fresh in my mind and I have gotten over my initial angriness. Do you think she was pulling a dodgy though? And if she was, what can I do? As usual my mother doesn't care, because she is a pushover and just never wants to cause any trouble for anybody and she likes the mutual friend she ended up selling it to. The couple who bought the place are annoyed about the run around that this woman gave them trying to prevent them from being able to purchase the property, and I am just plain angry that my mum has to pay this woman around $15,000 for her 4 days of work in which she turned away the people who ultimately paid more for my mums property. I do not feel that she was working on behalf of her client, I dont know what she was doing. The people who had to do all the work to get my mum some extra $ was my husband, mum and myself! What can I do?

i can't read this wall of text. some <enters> in your typing would be appreciated. represent formatted please?

Hi Guys,
My mother was selling one of her properties a few weeks ago. She had one agent around to do an appraisal, the same agent who had sold it to her over a decade ago, and the agent told her a price that my mum thought was too low, but she went ahead with listing it at that price anyway. Anyhow I told my mum to ask her to put a FROM in front of the price because at least then my mum had a chance of getting the appraised price instead of having to accept lower offers, the agent didnt do it. She also wrote a bad advertisement, did not mention any of the horse facilities or the fact that the 2 and a half acres was zoned for future urban development. I thought she didn't really try very hard... but anyway... 3 days after it was listed she contacts my mum with an offer from someone for 20k under the advertised price.
My mum has an offer on another property AND she is a pushover, the RE put pressure on her to accept this low offer. I said to her dont take it your place has only been for sale for 3 days and you already feel that its too low. She tells the agent she will accept the offer. In the meantime my husband's boss finds out that we are not buying the property and lets his sister know that it is on the market, she called the agent wanting to have a look, RE tells her "sorry its sold" despite the fact that mum has not signed anything yet. Anyway I manage to convince my mum to let these other people have a look at the house and they immediately fell in love with it. They drive to the RE office and tell them they want to make an offer, the RE comes out and tells them they cannot, it is sold. They argue with her and say that they KNOW it isnt sold, they just spoke to the owner. RE goes off and gets on the phone for half an hour- not to my mother, she doesnt call mum til later on- and then eventually comes out and lets them put an offer on paper.

Sorry, I just wrote it as I was trying to remember it, I was trying to spit out what happened as opposed to writing a novel but it was so long that it unfortunately turned into a complete mess.
As I said this happened weeks ago and is not fresh in my mind, if I had posted when it happened it would have made more sense and had more order to it.

evand - does it have to be my mother who makes a complaint to fair trading? She does not even care about the dodgy agent which is very frustrating. My dad who used to be an RE also thinks that she was pulling a shifty but he said to just leave it and let her get away with it. I cannot help myself, I am all about justice!
The buyers are the most likely to complain I believe, and they did not even lose anything over it. If anything they got a bargain. This woman told my mother a couple of months ago when she enquired about the value of the property that it would be between 550 and 600,000 yet when the time came to sell she tells my mum she will put it on the market at 490 then pushes her to sell it for 470 :(

Hi Mandimoo,

Sounds like a horrible story. You have to do something about it - because this agent will keep doing it to other people.

Is she the principal of the agency? If not, call the office and tell the principal what happened - it probably won't have much effect but you can at least try.

Definitely go to Dept of Fair Trading.

I wouldn't let this one go if I were you.

I wouldn't let it go either if someone close to me got ripped off . If you have the time definitely report the septic scum and get her nailed to the wall :mad:

Definitely go to Dept of Fair Trading.
I wouldn't let this one go if I were you.

Sorry, I just wrote it as I was trying to remember it, I was trying to spit out what happened as opposed to writing a novel but it was so long that it unfortunately turned into a complete mess.
As I said this happened weeks ago and is not fresh in my mind, if I had posted when it happened it would have made more sense and had more order to it.

Don't apologise to the idiot.

If he doesn't want to read it that's his choice.

Complain to both fair trading and the real estate institute in her state, bring pressure to bear.

There's always 60 Minutes, they'll find out how the agent and the buyer are related ;)

Complaining to the real institute about one of their won agents is like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.

Complain to both fair trading and the real estate institute in her state, bring pressure to bear.

There's always 60 Minutes, they'll find out how the agent and the buyer are related ;)

Thanks for replies, I will find out if she is the top of not at her agency. I did manage to get the name of the first offerer from my mother, and when I googled it came up as a realtor in Victoria, but that was maybe a coincidence because as far as mum knew the one who was making the first offer had actually gone through the house.
60 Minutes would be perfect ;)

Complaining to the real institute about one of their won agents is like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.

True, but as a professional organisation whose industry reputation is on the line, if they got a number of complaints they are bound to act in some pathetic way.

Back