Does this quote seem reasonable?

Hi All,

I got quote for some work on my first IP. This is the first time I have got involved in this type of work.

A bit about the property.. it is a 3 bedroom house. The rooms are roughly 3m x 3m each. The rooms, narrow passage way and lounge all have carpets, which need to be removed, floors sanded and polished.

The bathroom window frame needs to be fitted with a glass sheeting to prevent the water getting near it.

In a nutshell, thats all the work required.. not much.

Below is the quote i got:

Skip bin(s) $300
Purchase and Install new int doors and handles $300
Lino - Supply and install new Lino $700
Floor Boards - sand and polishing floor boards $1,900
Install glass over bathroom window to prevent timber from decay $500
Builders Labour $2,000

I am pretty happy with the costs mentioned for each item, but what I’m confused about is the $2000 labour costs? What exactly is that for? I assumed the floors, costing $1900, as well as all the other little items would include labour?

Does this quote seem reasonable? Interest to get your views before i got back to the contractor.

Also, what is lino?

Regards,
Robbie

It's called 'builder's margin' and it's the fee the builder is charging for his services of organising everything for you.

Hi All,

I got quote for some work on my first IP. This is the first time I have got involved in this type of work.

A bit about the property.. it is a 3 bedroom house. The rooms are roughly 3m x 3m each. The rooms, narrow passage way and lounge all have carpets, which need to be removed, floors sanded and polished.

The bathroom window frame needs to be fitted with a glass sheeting to prevent the water getting near it.

In a nutshell, thats all the work required.. not much.

Below is the quote i got:

Skip bin(s) $300
Purchase and Install new int doors and handles $300
Lino - Supply and install new Lino $700
Floor Boards - sand and polishing floor boards $1,900
Install glass over bathroom window to prevent timber from decay $500
Builders Labour $2,000

I am pretty happy with the costs mentioned for each item, but what I’m confused about is the $2000 labour costs? What exactly is that for? I assumed the floors, costing $1900, as well as all the other little items would include labour?

Does this quote seem reasonable? Interest to get your views before i got back to the contractor.

Also, what is lino?

Regards,
Robbie

Sounds like he has his wired crossed,
Lino is a floor covering just like vinyl,
Without seeing the actual quote I don't know what the 2k is for either maybe fitting the doors and locks and he made a typo?
How many doors are there?

This needs to be discussed before any type of acceptance,

I would get another quote and compare or contact each individual trade and get a quote separately.

Thanks Aaron.

Surely the builders margin shouldnt be so high for such a small job?

The job only comes to about $3000, so is a $2000 margin on top of that reasonable? Thats a 67% markup.

Might be worth getting a quote directly from an experienced handyman to do the work?

$2000 for undisclosed "labour" is a rort.

I did a similar reno last year.

Internal doors was $500 ($50 each x 5 + $50 install x 5)
Floor sand and polish $1900
Lino for kitchen $300 installed

Didnt do the glass thing or have skips, but those prices look about right.

Just cut the builder out and get trades yourself. A small reno like that doesnt need a builder anywhere near it.

I am pretty happy with the costs mentioned for each item, but what I’m confused about is the $2000 labour costs? What exactly is that for?

Probably an obvious solution but why not just ask the guy what the $2k is covering?

$1900 for the floors seems reasonable. Can't comment on the others.

Cheers

Jamie

Hey,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still waiting to hear back form the contractor about his $2000 'fee' for a $3000 job.

Either way, I'm getting a 2nd quote.

Will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Robbie

Back