Doing own repairs when property is managed?

Hi guys,

During the recent Queensland bad weather my IP affected had two fence pailings fall over and I've since had a request forwarded to get a handyman to fix it. I know it won't be expensive it's just annoying when based on the photo it would take 4 nails to fix it.

Is anyone able to shed some light please on whether it's possible to arrange a family member that lives near by to fix it (not a handyman/tradie)? Or is it because I'm using a PM that I can't arrange repairs myself?

Hi guys,

During the recent Queensland bad weather my IP affected had two fence pailings fall over and I've since had a request forwarded to get a handyman to fix it. I know it won't be expensive it's just annoying when based on the photo it would take 4 nails to fix it.

Is anyone able to shed some light please on whether it's possible to arrange a family member that lives near by to fix it (not a handyman/tradie)? Or is it because I'm using a PM that I can't arrange repairs myself?

Of course it is! It's your property! Just ring the PM and let them know that you're going to arrange it and to let the tenant know the day & time.

My tenants have my number. Anything wrong I'm on to it. You can save heaps eg $2 for tap washer instead of $120 by plumber.

My agents always call and ask if I want to have a look myself & do or not.

I usually just pass it back to them to organise, but sometimes, like last week, I decide to do it myself. I just had to replace a garden tap - less than $5 for a complete new tap. Easy & cheap job ($5).

Another time, I was reno-ing a property around the corner from one of our other props. Agent knew I was in town and called me to see if I wanted to go around & have a look. Since I was in my work clothes & only 200mts away, I went around and fixed the towel rail in bathroom which had come out of the plaster wall. Another cheap fix as I had everything needed on hand.

I've never had a RE agent refuse me or my own tradie/relative/friend etc.

In fact, I'm sure mine would rather not get involved if at all possible coz it costs them time to organise. BUT I always make them organise a time with the tenant to do the works.

It's your property so of course you can arrange it yourself.

The only exceptions are obviously jobs that require a registered tradie like a plumber or electrician. In this case you can arrange your own one too and not just the PM's trades.

I've never had a RE agent refuse me or my own tradie/relative/friend etc.

If any agent refused to cooperate with my wishes then it would be the last time that I speak to him - except to tell him when the property is moving to another agent.;)

Cheers

When you go there, don't let the tenants know you are the landlord :)

The Y-man

LOL! Yes, reminds me of a tenant we had. Had only just moved in a week earlier & we hadn't got the washing line up. It was booked for the weekend. Hubby went to do it. Tenant bails him up (he's the 'handyman') to complain about the cheapar$e Landlords. Tenant knew when the washing line was going in, and was whinging about stuff we refused to do. Well.........you sign a lease 'as is'. You don't sign a lease then expect the landlord to fork out thousands of $$ for non essential creature comforts that are not provided.:rolleyes:

Back