Domain vs Realestate.com

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on the two websites. The reason I ask is that I have found that domain is a lot better in terms of presentation, navigation and less spam/adds than realestate.com.au.

Although, the only issue I have with domain is that when I search for all properties in NSW i get 57,220 but on realestate.com I get 78,210. I want to stick with domain but if domain is missing 20,000 properties then I am in fact locking myself out from potentially viewing these properties.

Does anyone know why realestate.com has 20k more than domain? I thought domain and realestate.com were equal and had the same market share. does realestate.com double up on advertising properties? can anyone explain the gap

TY.

It never occurred to me before that the two don't carry the same listings, but I ran your test on 4-bed houses in 3356 (where I've just bought). Domain returns 46 including 16 new, RealEstate 247, most of which (from the first few pages) are house and land unbuilt offerings. Even when you change RE to established properties only not under contract you get 132 but on examination more than a few of these are H&L or aren't 4-bed - reminds me why I prefer Domain.

Having looked at hundreds of listings during the last few months I do wish agents would put a little more effort into the details - land area omitted, shown as near station when it isn't, nowhere near shops when just across the road etc. The poor quality of listing makes the Domain filtering much less useful than it might be.

The lack of information is deliberate....obviously a selling agent isn't going to highlight how noisy the property is because it is too close to a train station/bad neighbours. Same thing goes with listing 1 bedroom apartments as 'houses'...

For land size you can just check www.homepriceguide.com.au to get an approximate land area calculation.

Yes, it's called market share. re.com is #1 for having the most listings, being the most popular etc

You thought wrongly then. ;) Whatever gave you the idea they were both equal? :confused:

From working within the industry the majority of agents sign up to a portal that has a list of all the real estate websites. The agent uploads the property to the portal and then its distributed to all the realestate websites. This saves the agent from having to input the details 10 times for 10 different sites. Agents are quite technically advanced and only the dinosaurs of the industry would not use this efficient system. I wouldn't think there were that many dinosaurs who don't use these portals.

Personally I prefer realestate.com.au because it is much cleaner. Domain is hard to navigate and I find it very slow. Plus the re.com iphone app is really good.

From working within the industry the majority of agents sign up to a portal that has a list of all the real estate websites.

I believe there are some dinosaurs, albeit a minority. I have recently located homes on one but not the other and this tells me some agents are picking and choosing. I like this as there are potentially properties out there that are not seen by the whole pool of buyers. Increases my chance of snagging a bargain.

Agents are quite technically advanced and only the dinosaurs of the industry would not use this efficient system. I wouldn't think there were that many dinosaurs who don't use these portals.

You must know different agents that me then. :rolleyes:
Most of the agents I have the dubious pleasure of working with, can't even retrieve their voice mail and return a call, let alone reply to an email. :eek:

From working within the industry the majority of agents sign up to a portal that has a list of all the real estate websites. The agent uploads the property to the portal and then its distributed to all the realestate websites. This saves the agent from having to input the details 10 times for 10 different sites.

If this were true, then how do you expalin the disparity in listing numbers on the 2 sites? :confused:

"If this were true, then how do you expalin the disparity in listing numbers on the 2 sites? "

Exactly, I think realestate.com is double posting or something, Ive sent an email to fairfax and asked the same question, maybe they know that realestate.com is including properties on in victoria that boarder NSW in their search or something. I understand a little disparity but 20k between the top two sites is ridiculous.

If this were true, then how do you expalin the disparity in listing numbers on the 2 sites? :confused:

Easy - Domain.com only lists properties that have also been in the print media (newspapers etc) ... with Realestate.com this is not a requirement and agents can list anything.

Which is why you also sometimes get properties listed on domain.com but not realestate.com

Easy - Domain.com only lists properties are have also been in the print media (newspapers etc) ... with Realestate.com this is not a requirement and agents can list anything.

Yeah, I think domain will list private sellers adverts too, whereas re.com won't (although you still can, if you use one of those RE agencies that will list your private advert).

Easy - Domain.com only lists properties that have also been in the print media (newspapers etc) ... with Realestate.com this is not a requirement and agents can list anything.

Which is why you also sometimes get properties listed on domain.com but not realestate.com

This is false, I can advertise on domain and NOT have to advertise in the newspaper.

I think there is a big issue with RE.com. I see on Real estate.com that there is 134,000 listings for queens lands but when I check out SQM research there is only 28,000 listins in Brisbane. There is absolutly no way that there are 106,000 in queensland for sale less Brisbane.

There is something very dodgy with their numbers.

While on domain there is 57,000 in all of queensland for sale.

We use both realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and well as a couple of lesser known sites (the ones that are free) to advertise.

I personally only use realestate.com.au, can't remember the last time I looked on domain.com.au

I wish there was only one as being on both is only due to that is what the public expect.

We also use a portal to upload and have done so for the past 8-10 years - does make it simpler and I'm sure that if that type of service was not available we would have dropped domain.com.au years ago

I too use realestate 99% of the time ... only using domain when I can't find a property I am looking for, but know it is listed.

I find realestate easier to use for advanced searches

Back