Door handles have fallen off

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice regarding the tenant I currently have. They are wanting me to fix all sorts of things around the house that seem excessive to me considering I renovated the place before I let it out. They say that all the door handles to the bedrooms have fallen off and the handles to the taps in the kitchen and laundry as well. Now I find it difficult to believe that all the door handles can just fall off like that. Does this seem right? Do I need to have these fix from my own pocket? They also claim the drive way has washed away and they cannot get the car up it? Does this need to be fixed by me?

This property is in Qld.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I've just had door handles in PPOR en suite fall off. Gainsbororough. I've had to screw them back constantly- but if I forget, they come off.

I'm investigating replacement or spare parts in the next few days.

It's just the lockable one I've had problems with.

But I'd still like a lockable door handle to the bedroom. I've got kids.

Hi Geoff,

I can understand one falling off but apparently all four bedroom handles fell off. This doesn't seem plausible to me. Do I have to pay for this or should I make the tenants pay?

You will have to pay. They are entitled to have doors that function and I doubt they are dissassembling them on you for some bizarre reason.

But it doesn't need to be much if you do the work yourself. I replaced a keyed one for $19. Just normal passage door sets were much cheaper.

Just do it once and do it properly and don't quibble over a few bucks.

As the landlord you are responsible to pay unless you can prove neglect by the tenant then you might have a case.

For the sake of a few bucks be much easier to repair them, keep the tenant happy and on side and you have the knowledge that your investment is then in good repair. :)

Aikido said:
Hi all,

They also claim the drive way has washed away and they cannot get the car up it? Does this need to be fixed by me?
Aikido..
imho...
After all the heavy rain over the past few days the drive/w would now be
in a bad way,also your duty of care to prevent injury to your tenants
i would be very carefull,and fix the problems asap,are they still paying
the rent?.
willair..

Hi all,

Thanks for that. I just find it hard to believe that all the door room handles can just fall off like that. Can anyone recommend a handyman in Redcliffe. Its a bit hard to fix it myself from Sydney.

Aikido said:
I just find it hard to believe that all the door room handles can just fall off like that. Can anyone recommend a handyman in Redcliffe. Its a bit hard to fix it myself from Sydney.
If they are inferior door handles, it's possible. Get your handyperson (or talk to your hardware shop) to determine if the brand of handles is a problem. Or find the brand and check the web.

A tight screw & a bit of Lock Tite

I had top of the range ceramic door handles in my last home. And yes they were always falling off. :eek: Same with the top line tap handles. Basically the handles screw onto a plate affixed to the door. Every time you turn handle anti clock wise the handle can loosen. After a few weeks handle just falls off. (Now any basic slightly mechanical person would just screw the handle base clockwise till it was screwed back on. But tenants are tenants:confused: :eek: )

My suggestion. Get some "Lock Tite" from hardware store. It is a bit like super glue but not as strong.
Put a couple of drops on screw thread of handle base and tighten right up. This sets and holds thread tight but is not as strong as Super Glue and can be undone using tools. Do the same with tap handles.

As to driveway7. Don't know. is it gravel. Concrete or just earth? More details?:cool:

Gee Cee said:
My suggestion. Get some "Lock Tite" from hardware store. It is a bit like super glue but not as strong.
Put a couple of drops on screw thread of handle base and tighten right up. This sets and holds thread tight but is not as strong as Super Glue and can be undone using tools. Do the same with tap handles.
An excellent suggestion- well worth a try. Thanks for that.

My suggestion is that WD40 is a very good marital aid. Put it on the bedroom doorknobs, so that the kids can't open the bedroom door :D

Onya GeeCee,

I started reading the thread and thought "They need Loctite" - I've also found door handles do take a beating, and any change in that area can lead to problems "down the track".

But Loctite does solve the problem rather well - so, Aikido, get your handyman back there with a Loctite tube, re-do the work, then settle back and enjoy the incoming rent. And have him use it on the bathroom tap handles too. If he charges more than $100 tops, he's having you on (unless he is more than a half-hour away from the property). He should put this right in one hour tops onsite (what IS his hourly rate?) Think 7 minutes per door (or tap handle) at most. Get a quote before sending him - then find someone else if he is ripping you off,

Regards,

Thanks for that I will suggest using the Loctite. Regarding the driveway from memory I think it was just earth. What would be a cost effective solution to resolve this problem?

Aikido said:
Regarding the driveway from memory I think it was just earth. What would be a cost effective solution to resolve this problem?
Aikido,
what is the length and width of the driveway,and is the property flat,or is the drive way uphill or down hill..

willair.

hiya gc,

I had top of the range ceramic door handles in my last home. And yes they were always falling off.

were they gainsb*****?

I think they were marketed as top of the range ... however they are .. not

I can remember when i was reno'ing blocks (for others) 15 years ago and buying them for $3.00 a set while they were retailing for $20....

anyway ........can always screw the plate to the door ..... :p

rossv

Driveway is just two grooves in the earth from the car tyres. It is slightly inclined about 5 - 10 degrees not much really. The length of the driveway is slightly more than the length of a family size sedan I suppose. This is from memory but I think that the difference would not be that much.

Are you using a PM, if so get them to take a photo of the driveway..if its a real problem I'm sure you'll find some locals have worked out the cheapest way/person to fix the problem.

What has caused the problem (rain running downhill and eating out the road or across the driveway at the base and eating out the road)- Pictures will probably assit your decison making process..

Aikido.
With a driveway layout like you have,then in imho all you would need is about 3 c/m of 20mm road base,then just level the area,the roadbase
will cost about $45.oo per c/m, then just employ the local hanyperson
to spread the fill out over the grooves, that's all i would spend..
good luck
williar

Back