Drain Cleaning Problem

This is a problem I have not hit before and some opinions would be helpful.

An elderly relative is getting a house drain cleared by a plumber, a job that was done several years ago in under 1 1/2 hours.

This time however a different plumber, after working for 2 1/2. hours has said that he has lost a section of the vibrating eel in the drain and the house owner will have to pay for him to dig up the ground to recover it. The plumber has gone to the Council for a drainage plan.

Frankly I have never heard of a section of an eel getting lost in a drain let alone a plumber charging to recover broken/lost equipment.

Comments please.

Polite version:

Dear Plumber,

I am responding to your latest letter of demand requiring remuneration as per lost eel coil during contracted works unclearing a drain at x property on the 1/6/11. It is my understanding that a contractor undertaking said works is entirely responsible for completion of said works at said price within said time frame. Whilst very unfortunate that your enterprise met with unexpected misadventure during works, it is my sorry duty to advise you that liability is entirely borne by the contractor for said works during that period. Drains were cleared previously by another contractor on x/x/09 without undue difficulty, nor requiring drainage plans from council. Should you wish to contact council and complete works within specified times, you may of course do so at your own expense. I expect completion of works by x timeframe or will otherwise withold payment for uncompleted work, and pass on costs of completion of works including damage.

Sincerely,

Homeowner.

Impolite version:

Idiot, another guy did the job in a couple hours without drainage plan in 90 minutes. Your broken eel is your problem. That's why you get paid. Fix it within 48 hours and get your broken piece of steel out of my drain plus unclog it all or I will contract another plumber to do the job, and then bill you for the added expense of getting your broken piece of steel out of my drain. Don't blame the drain, blame your equipment, or shoddy workmanship, or bad luck - I don't care. Fix it and get paid as agreed, or don't fix it and get billed for works and damages. Pick one and quit the ********.

Sincerely,

Homeowner.

Ocean Architect,

Thank you for your quick and pithy response. It was appreciated.

It was fortunate too that I had finished my coffee, otherwise the screen might have been wearing it.:D

Unfortunately the home owner didn't get a quote and many refuse to quote for drain clearing, but it should be possible to rely on the previous completed work as a guide, while allowing some extra, say an hour?

I am informed that the plumber has said the drain is not completely cleared and more payable work would have to be done after the eel is recovered (and the home owner pays for the recovery of the lost gear of course).

"plus one hour".

Well. That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is to say "The other guy did it in 90 minutes - break the record, hero".

Look when it comes to doing work you can go for a fixed price (x job for x price) which will be inflated to cover contingency or you can go for a softer approach ie "look, it might take an hour, or 3, but send your apprentice for x an hour and I'll pay you $x on top" especially when it comes to stuff like deteriorating drains or other unknowns, but at the end of the day, when a contractor gives a price then thats the price end of story blow your head off if you can't do it - welcome to doing business.

This "the homeowner must pay" stuff is crap - whoever did the damage pays the price. A plumber coming to my house saying I had to pay for his mistake or the mistake of the other guy would leave my property from the balcony with my grab marks on his face and say thankyou that he got out so clean.

Why homeowners put up with stuff is beyond me. Tell them to go to hell and take you to court. They wont. They know when they're full of it.

Is there a risk that the plumber could claim that the drain was collapsed or whatever and charge the owner for repair, or refuse to repair? I am only talking hypothetically, having seen this house myself it is only a short run from where the grey water was said to be leaking from the open header at ground level and the Council sewerage pipe at the rear boundary. It is slightly down hill. It is hard to imagine that the pipe would have been laid in an odd configuration.

Is the best approach is to let the fellow finish the work and then pay whatever seems fair with stated reasons?

Is there a risk that the plumber could claim that the drain was collapsed or whatever and charge the owner for repair, or refuse to repair? I am only talking hypothetically, having seen this house myself it is only a short run from where the grey water was said to be leaking from the open header at ground level and the Council sewerage pipe at the rear boundary. It is slightly down hill. It is hard to imagine that the pipe would have been laid in an odd configuration.

Is the best approach is to let the fellow finish the work and then pay whatever seems fair with stated reasons?

Oh. I see that you're infected with another disease called "thinking people will be honest with you". Of course theres a risk! Those bastids will lie through their teeth to avoid responsibility and get paid.

Look the plumber can claim whatever they want - they can claim that unicorns were mating and having oodles of babies in the drain at the time hence the eel snapping - but that really isn't the point, nor is it binding - all that matter is this:

1 the homeowner wanted a drain cleaned
2 the plumber came to clean it
3 the plumbers equipment blew up
4 the drain isn't clean

as for the rest - hello mr plumber - come clean out your trash, finish the job, or get lost and cop a bill at your expense. Give me sob stories all you want but the bottom line is that my drain is not only blocked but has a piece of steel in it bigger than any turd ever was.

It really is that simple. Until the job is done all the plumber deserves is a bill. What do you think they're going to do? Take you to court demanding payment for an unfinished job and damage to drains? The judge will laugh at them. Let them rot. Dodgy bastids.

I would consider paying the call out fee to have a second opinion done OR see if you can contact a local ombudsman (or similar) regarding the matter. Have some one check the drain to rule that the current trade is a total.... well... you get the point and have that plumber leave red faced.

Other option is also to contact local media outlets, you may find that several people come forward with concerning stories regarding this trades practices, saves paying the bill for his mistakes!

Back