Dreams/Sleep - controlling it

Hi all, in the last week or so someone mentioned in passing a method/book on harnessing dreams or the time you're asleep - something along those lines? Basically about putting to good use the time your body is asleep but mind is still working.

Hoping whoever posted could expand a bit further on the idea and the let us know the book they read on the subject. Or failing that someone who's better at doing forum seaches - I tried the words 'dream' and 'sleep' for the last week but couldn't find the post I'm after.

This must be someone who doesn't have little kids or do shiftwork (or live with someone who does shiftwork) :mad:

Sorry just really grumpy from being woken 4 times last night from my deep sleep. It's ageing me I can feel it.

i have recurring dreams where i can remember IN THE DREAM about courses of actions i've tried previously and do something different and then change the course of the dream.

it's almost like playing QUEST in my head. very odd, i told a friend of mine who is a psychologist about it and she was beyond speechless - like i've seen people speechless but she was just a blank stare.

Great concept... :)

For me, certain things can really make dreams more vivid (i.e. NRT patches, chinese takeaway(!) etc..) but I've never been able to transition into making my dreams more productive..... keep us posted if you find the answer!!

Blue Card these are called Vivid Dreams and you can take over in the dream and direct it any way you want, as if you were directing a play. I have never been able to get that far, but a couple of times have realised that I am dreaming and couldnt think of what I would like to do. Should have a scenario prepared whereby I win $50M and go about buying houses and renovating them to my hearts content. One I had was the most vivid colours I couldnt even imagine and everything was in oranges, yellows cream, but sensational colours, cant describe and I am an artist. If I believed in such stuff I would say I was on another plane.

i used to have dreams , that i controlled, if i was building somthing the next day i would go through the processes that i required, steps taken and build the project,
When i desighning this home , i could walk through it and take what direction i wished at the time, True! sounds freaky i know !

Also check the term "lucid dream". This is where people can "direct" or control their dreams.

I read something about this years ago and i recall one comment/theory, was that some people could control their dreams to an extent, that they deliberatly dreamt that they were doing some form of physical exercise - running or swimming or whatever, and this dreamt exercise then improved their physical well being in the real world.

That would be great. I wonder if could control my dreams to the extent of doing a reno and then wake up to find it is all done....

Also, there is an old 1980s sci-fi movie on this topic called "dreamscape". from memory, it was about some secret government department were chasing people that had the power to control their dreams and also to get into the dreams of other people. They wanted to use these people to assasinate varous government figures by causing them to have heart attacks in their dreams. something like that anyway. Try and find it.

G

hi all
the brain is a very funny thing
very very little is known about it
I think we know about 1% of its power.
it is the only part of the body that actively take in information process it and repairs itself all the time
now it take info in
in 5 way feel smell hearing sight taste
and yes it does not close of when you are asleep it does the opposite
as one has closed of sight the other four are magnified
so you hearing is more acute so is smell and so is taste and why you feel cold alot quicker
it is recommended taht you don't sleep near a magnetic object like a radio for the same reason
as you sence then try to work over time on this field and it is said thats why you wake up wanting sleep as your body or brain has not slept it does not need to its repairing it self
one thing I would be very careful of it music radio and mobiles while you sleep
as the information in these media will be taken in and stored very quickly and in some cases you do not want that information in your mind.
I have a contact that his job is just traditional spiritual help and therapist
and gets paid very well
I am on the opposite side of the fence with regards to the mind
as I wish to protect the info going in and try to avoid the info I don't want
thou your brain want all info
and yes the americans had some very interesting thing to do with mind control and how it work and information while you sleep was part of that
thats why a controlist always says close your eyes and think that you want to listen to what I say
one sense is closed and the other four go into overdrive
close off two Ie put on head phones and and get them to talk to you with head phones on you just cut out two
and the rest I will leave with you
I must admit I cring every time the footy show put on a mind controller and the person clucks like a chichen
its seems like fun
but I think that it would not be the case if you got caught in that trap.
the loss of freedom is only possible by the neglect of vigilance.

Steve, I am let loose in a BIG library..I may have something, ratting around my brains/science/psych and fuzzy sections, fell over this:

Dream Power..Cynthia Richmond

How to use 8 hours of sleep (5 if you are a parent:)) to improve self awareness and change your life.

Maybe?

I'm not renting it (just yet anyways), I have some other projects to follow.

Gosh I love libraries. When I pass on into the new ether...spread my ashes around the research section....after telling the cleaner to buggar off with vacuum cleaner.

Steve, I am let loose in a BIG library..I may have something, ratting around my brains/science/psych and fuzzy sections, fell over this:

Dream Power..Cynthia Richmond

Maybe?

I'm not renting it (just yet anyways), I have some other projects to follow.

Gosh I love libraries. When I pass on into the new ether...spread my ashes around the research section....after telling the cleaner to buggar off with vacuum cleaner.

Thanks for that OO. :)

Started reading an ebook last night on lucid dreaming (thanks for the phrase GG, helped a lot) - but only read the first few pages and it's not by a published author so don't know how good it is yet. Does sound interesting though.

Blue Card these are called Vivid Dreams and you can take over in the dream and direct it any way you want, as if you were directing a play. I have never been able to get that far, but a couple of times have realised that I am dreaming and couldnt think of what I would like to do. Should have a scenario prepared whereby I win $50M and go about buying houses and renovating them to my hearts content. One I had was the most vivid colours I couldnt even imagine and everything was in oranges, yellows cream, but sensational colours, cant describe and I am an artist. If I believed in such stuff I would say I was on another plane.

Hi guys,

I have been a big dreamer :eek: since I can remember.

I have been able to direct my dreams away from something bad and I can wake myself up.

One thing I used to do was fly alot. I used to be able to have dreams where I would run and take off and fly over my suburb or the places I was when I was a young child!:eek: For some reason I have lost the ability to do this.

I just put it down to the tiredness of Motherhood and aging. I do recognise that when my children are young and I lack sleep that it is harder to dream.

Regards JO

I have the flying dream sometimes. Forget what it means. I also have the one where I realise there are other rooms in my house, or a big building out the back that I have forgotten about. I'm sure it's something about knowing there are other parts of my life that I have to explore. When I manage to have a weekend where I spend some quality time in my shed, I often have a dream about having a huge shed with forgotten nooks and other rooms etc.
I remember when I was at uni that there was a book going around about programming your dreams. From what I can recall, it largely involved thinking about something as much as possible during the day and in lots of different ways and inevitably dreaming about it. I recall it took a fair bit of spare head space, which I had when I was at uni. The more you did it, the easier it apparently got. I didn't persevere. It makes sense given when people are grappling with something big and ugly in their life, they often dream about it. My dreams involved some grappling, but the other participants weren't big and ugly.

Yeah, big dreamer myself. Freakiest dream i've ever had was when I was trying to figure out the rubics cube one day. Went to bed and dreamt about the cube. Next day woke up knowing how to put the cube back together. I kid you not. I tend to do a lot of problem solving in my dreams :D

Studies have also shown that dreaming and thinking about things are extremly healthy and beneficial. An example is this study they did with 3 groups of people learning an instrument. 1st group didn't practice. 2nd group didn't practice but went through the motions in there head on a daily basis. 3rd group actually did the practice. What they found was that the 2nd group that thought of the motions actually improved altough they didn't pick up the instrument. It had something to do with rewiring the neurons in the brain. Although they didn't practice there brains were already adjusting the neuronal conections and pathways which translated to improvement in learning the instrument. This concept can also be translated to dreams. Those who dream of something constantly will gradually improve in the context of the dream. A good example is sports people who constantly dream about there chosen sports, or in my case problem solving :D

Yeah I find the same thing. When I'm focusing on something a lot during the day, I tend to dream about it - especially if it hasn't been resolved. I'm aware that I'm dreaming as well, and it can often be quite frustrating for me as I know I'm not solving the problem and I'm telling myself to stop obsessing over it as it's not helping, but the dreams continue for the rest of the night.

Back