Dual income - legally possible?

I am looking at purchasing semi in Burwood Council area (NSW). The layout of the house appears optimal to be allow it to be converted into a 2 bedroom house and 1 bedroom granny/flat unit allowing ample living space, a bathroom and a kitchen in each area.

I say appears optimal in that there is already dual entrances, the common wall between the two living areas is already brick (original back wall of the house before an extension) and the areas closest to joint wall would be kitchen/living space with the bedrooms at the opposite ends of the house. From a logistically point of view all that would be needed is a way to secure the door in between, and the installation of a second kitchen (in a room that used to be a kitchen anyway - so expect plumbing etc is already under the floor).

It is zoned residential 2A, and the land area is between 250-300 m2. I am trying to get my head around the legal/planning issues involved to see if it is possible to do this within council rules and regulations. My aim would be to be able to legally rent out both areas separately.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area and can point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Jason

burwood council website will have all their planning documents online... so you can read and check whether what you want to do is reasonable.

Back