Duplex - attached or freestanding

Hi guys,

Can some of the more experienced or knowledgable offer some advice here.

Say you have 2 blocks the same size, 900sqm.
One block is 20m wide x 45m deep, and the other one is 15m wide x 60m deep.

The wider block may be good for a side by side attached duplex, and the narrower longer block may be good for 2 separate dwellings in a battle axe block situation.

I imagine the free standing duplex units would cost more to construct, but may value better by not having any common walls and separated front/back yards.
They could also be a bit more unique or have more design flexibility and functionality than the side by side duplexes.

Overall, what situation would be better, assuming same conditions for both blocks.
What would be the difference approximately, if you can measure by percentages.
Or, if you were searching for a duplex block, what would you look for, apart from minimum land size, aspect and drainage.

Thanks

Spider

Spider

2 detached units would be of higher value and sell easier if needed. (I only have experience with attached duplex units)

Flat land is cheaper to build as you can put down slabs, check with council if you can put duplex on block

Sheryn, do you think that a detached rear dwelling is worth more than an attached street frontage duplex dwelling?

I find that a duplex dwelling is worth about the same as a rear detached house. People love to have street frontage and not feel closed in.

Optimum Lot Configuration for Real Estate Development

The zoning for an area determines the minimum lot size. Within a suburb there are often multiple zonings. On one side of a street it may be permissible to have 250 sqm lots, while the other side of the street the minimal lot size may be 1,000sqm.

So if you had a 900 sqm lot, where it was would depend on what you could do with it.

Assuming your zoning permits 400 sqm minimum lot size for attached residences. It may still not be possible to build 2 residences on a property if the wall to boundary off sets are not sufficient to build a dwelling (again specified in the zoning plans & development codes).

Where you have choice in lot configuration, then the optimum configuration of the development should be based on market demand (this includes costs).

The point is when looking at development and subdivision sites, first uncover where the market demand is and at what price. Then go looking for a parcel of land that meets your needs.

This way you are market driven.

Most people go the other way.

They buy a parcel of land then sit down to work out what to do with it.

Good luck with your search.

Philip

I think that corner blocks with detached are best with frontage onto different streets. Not sure about the street frontage bit. Probably depends if it a thoroughfare or a quiet street. I have a friend who built detached - one behind the other and he gets $20/wk more for the rear house because it is quieter away from the street.

Like Phillip says - consult you local agents to get their opinion if they think it matters from a sale or rental perspective.

Definitely cheaper building attached but you lose one whole wall of window space in each unit which can make it tricky if you are into passive solar for most of your living areas because your bedrooms must have a window each. Not that it can't be done though. :)

Back