Duplex build with husband

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I forgot our local council has a little notice stating that verbal information or advise can not be relied upon only written (or something similar) imagine how one feels when written information/procedure is not adhered too either.

I'm glad it came through, but now you know better than to believe the time lines they tell you.
They too live in the fantasy that they actually do their job.
When in reality their is no rush to them. They get paid at the end of the week anyway.

I'm glad it came through, but now you know better than to believe the time lines they tell you.
They too live in the fantasy that they actually do their job.
When in reality their is no rush to them. They get paid at the end of the week anyway.

At the end of the project I will write a letter to the council.

This afternoon we had coffee with a friend and she has a little nifty machine that cuts out letters and numbers so our friend will make our Owner Builder sign to go up on the block.

This week we will go to council and pay Section fees $18,981 and clarify when Construction Certificate will be available

Will also pay Building under construction insurance.

Running tab...
Land 145K (deposit 7K Loan 112K LOC 26K)
Stamp Duty to OSR $3420 + bank cheque $10
Structural Engineer $1980
HIA standard builder's contract, specifications & builders site board ? about $100
Owner Builder Permit $148
DA $7577
Section fees $18,981
Loan fees
-Bank cheque $20
-Mortgage registration fees $92
-Transfer/conveyance $184
-Stamp Duty $389
Lawyer fees
-$880
-Final search fees $10.01
- search& enquiry fees $152.90
- Online stamping fees $2.53
- Sundries & petties $77.00

Total $179023.44

Sheryn

Last edited:
Budget

Don't want to scare anyone but we don't actually exactly know. We have an estimate based on last duplex. Contract price was about $335K + council section costs, landscaping and variations to contract.

We basically estimate 298K (worked out by roughly saying last builder made 20% on build and materials are going up about 1%).

We have a LOC for 220K and we have money sitting in offset if we can't refinance build.

House warranty insurance does not need to be paid unless we are selling and we aren't.

We have paid our section fees & hubby was told to ring Council Inspector in 3 days re Construction certificate.

Pictures

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Attachments

• DSCF0187.jpg
    DSCF0187.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF0188.jpg
    DSCF0188.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0189.jpg
    DSCF0189.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 122
Some more pictures of the block

Attachments

• DSCF0190.jpg
    DSCF0190.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0192.jpg
    DSCF0192.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0191.jpg
    DSCF0191.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 104
Last lot of pictures some from back to front.

The tree has to be cut down as a noxious weed camphour laurel but we dare not cut down before construction certificate issued as no where have we received approval to cut down tree as yet just verbal information from Council.

Hubby went to MBA Trade Show today and picked up information on waterproofing & termite treatment.

Sheryn

Attachments

• DSCF0193.jpg
    DSCF0193.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0194.jpg
    DSCF0194.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0195.jpg
    DSCF0195.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 116
Can't see it being that cheap to build Sheryn but I hope I am wrong for your sake. 300k + say, 200k for land and miscellaneous costs would be 250k each. What is your expected final val? 350k ea?

Can't see it being that cheap to build Sheryn but I hope I am wrong for your sake. 300k + say, 200k for land and miscellaneous costs would be 250k each. What is your expected final val? 350k ea?

Approximately 300K + 179K = 479K

Valuation 650K - 479K = 171K

171K potential profit - 65K (for the ute hubby had to have which is now sitting in our garage:eek:).

It may cost us more as we are putting an ensuite in this duplex - we will just wait and see.

Hubby rang Council to see about CC - it won't get done this week as too busy might be able to do it next week if not it will mid October as Building Inspector going on holidays.

Potential profit 171K - ute 65K - 5K holding costs on land = 101K.

Regards
Sheryn

Checked the mail today....

14 days and still no Construction Certificate issued since DA approved.

Assessor of DA said Construction Certificate does not take as long just a few days.

Plenty of trades people looking for work.

Hubby spoke to a subbie for a project home group yesterday and he said the same thing lots of application into Council but they aren't getting out.

Will suss out Private Certifier next time but I think for duplex you must go through council. Think from now on we will build single dwellings as time is money, could have built 2 houses in the time it takes to get approval for duplex and actually build duplex.

Sheryn

Sell the tree

If you get the Camphor Laurel cut down you may be able to make some $ on it. Many years ago I had a boyfriend who loved to make his own furniture and other timber bits and pieces. He would give his right arm for Camphor Laurel. Worth looking into even if it only gets the tree cut down for free in exchange for the timber.:D

If you get the Camphor Laurel cut down you may be able to make some $ on it. Many years ago I had a boyfriend who loved to make his own furniture and other timber bits and pieces. He would give his right arm for Camphor Laurel. Worth looking into even if it only gets the tree cut down for free in exchange for the timber.:D

Hubby will chip tree and save for gardens but you aren't even allowed to do cut and chip until construction certificate is issued.

Sheryn

Time is money and no progress as yet

We still have not received Construction Certificate, even if we did receive it next week IMHO it is too late to start before Christmas.

About time I started drafting a letter to go to General manager of Council

DA submitted 30th June paid $7577.02

DA approved 16th September paid $18,981 28th September

Still awaiting Construction Certificate.

LESSON LEARNT - Don't build new buy instead!!!

Sheryn

Was talking to a friend he is overseeing the building of his son's industrial shed. I presume son is doing Owner Builder and his Father is on site during the day to either problem solve or ring his son to get him to whizz around the corner and solve the problem with the build.

Anyway friend was telling us that somebody removed their hired site fencing panels over the weekend except for the panel with Owner Builders sign!!

Friend is astounded he reckons they would have had to do this in the dark.

Friend reckons they will be up for the replacement costs.

Sheryn

Still waiting

Hubby rang Council Building Inspector last week and he hadn't got around to our CC yet, he had taken some work home on the weekend to try and catch up.

We checked the mail on the way home - no CC. There is no point in starting the project this year even if it did arrive in the mail this week.

In the local paper - lack of rentals to rent and lack of houses to sell, so I would say prices will rise.

Anyway hubby has been having a good time driving around in the ute he had to have and my front garden is not finished the revamping.

Sheryn

I usually use an interior decorator as I am terrible at picking internal colours.

Recently I have notice a style of wall hangings I like so I have made up my mind that one unit will have the interior colours to go with the pictures. Better get my butt into gear and go up the coast and buy before all sold out for Christmas.

Hubby doesn't want me to use an interior decorator or for that matter to get the grass on the block mowed but I will do both.

Sheryn

Back