Duplex Project - Number 5

On Monday we will own our next block of land - ideal for a duplex. The contract was exchanged 3 months ago and we negotiated some favourable terms.

3 month settlement
5% deposit
Permission to access site for all pre construction purposes
Permission to carry out drainage works
Vendor to sign DA and CC forms
Vendor to sign Fencing Notices

Listed Price 259k
Negotiated Price 225k

The site was very wet and boggy indicating springs. A local guy who once did land slashing told me that it was the only block in the area he ever got bogged in - with a 4WD tractor!:eek: Nevertheless I thought it was worth the risk so negotiated the above terms knowing I may have to pay up to 10k to carry out extensive drainage.

3 months on and I have completed the site drainage at a cost of 4k and yesterday prepared the site for construction. We are awaiting our CC approval which should be done early next week.

Below are some pics of history to date. I expect to complete this project by the end of July.

Attachments

• Duplex site.jpg
    Duplex site.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 396
  • Spring Water.jpg
    Spring Water.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Spring through clay.jpg
    Spring through clay.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 337
Some pics of the site works.

Attachments

• Drain behind front gutter.jpg
    Drain behind front gutter.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Trenching.jpg
    Trenching.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 283
  • Mid Drainage.jpg
    Mid Drainage.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 270
More pictures!

Attachments

• Site Prep.jpg
    Site Prep.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Road Base access .jpg
    Road Base access .jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Site Prepared.jpg
    Site Prepared.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 239
Look forward to hearing of your progress. I'm curious about the drainage issues- obviously being at the bottom of a hill- what do you need to do re: the spring water so that the property isn't soggy at the front and what consideration is given to the engineering of the houses such that they will be stable on a spring environment? How deep do you need to make the footings?

Looking forward to reading about this project!

Did you tap the spring so you can save on a water connection to the house and bottle some water for sale as a side income source? :D

Look forward to hearing of your progress. I'm curious about the drainage issues- obviously being at the bottom of a hill- what do you need to do re: the spring water so that the property isn't soggy at the front and what consideration is given to the engineering of the houses such that they will be stable on a spring environment? How deep do you need to make the footings?

Footings are 1200 X 450

We traced the springs to their point and drained them to the back of a council stormwater pit on the kerb. There is a now constant flow of spring water running out of the drain into the pit. It was amazing how quickly the site dried out after the springs were tapped. Trenches were 1 metre deep into pure clay and the spring water was at times spurting out through the clay at the base of the trench - amazing to behold the force of ground water. My engineer did geotech work after we drained the site and reduced the footings to 1200 (initially he was thinking 1500)

Great work!

Would also appreciate a breakdown of the numbers as you proceed. I've looked at a couple of duplex possibilities, and can't get the numbers to work. Are you able to share the area, or prefer to keep it quiet right now?

Great work!

Would also appreciate a breakdown of the numbers as you proceed. I've looked at a couple of duplex possibilities, and can't get the numbers to work. Are you able to share the area, or prefer to keep it quiet right now?

No prob's mate. Always develop in the same area - Northeast coast NSW close to the QLD border. :)

Have attached the budget in excel with current running costs. Final valuation for finished product should be around 700k. The numbers are definitely working around here. :cool:

Attachments

• Duplex Budget.xls
    18 KB · Views: 567
I would think you'll get a lot of movement in that clay as it dries out over the next couple years. Particularly the 1st full summer.

The footings clearly are taking that into account, hopefully its sufficient.

I would think you'll get a lot of movement in that clay as it dries out over the next couple years. Particularly the 1st full summer.

I can't see it drying out too much mate. We've drained the main springs but there is still plenty of water under there. This block has a "wet" reputation so it must be the pressure release point for the area though the adjacent blocks have had similar drainage issues.

Side fences are now erected. I sent fencing notices to the neighbours and they agreed to half the cost. Surveyor has now pegged out the corners and I have almost put in the profiles (will finish when the rain lets up).

Steel posts have been delivered and my welder has welded spikes onto the base of them.

Site dunny has arrived and my temporary site fence went up yesterday.

Construction Certificate was issued today so we will be boring holes as soon as the wet weather shifts away.

My main worry now is whether the bored footing holes will start filling quickly with water or not.:eek: We might drill a few and see how it goes. Might need a sludge pump if necessary. Actually planning to set my corner posts first by hand mixing (electric mixer) on site rather than trucking it in.

Attachments

• 13032012791.jpg
    13032012791.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 229
  • 13032012793.jpg
    13032012793.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 249
Do you have a preference for sloping blocks, or do they just come cheaper, and hence help your margins when you can design your dual occs to suit the contours?

No preference at all mate. Our last duplex project was flat and sandy and our first was flat and clay soil. the other 3 have been sloped but not too steep. Blocks around here are all much the same price except the ocean view sites. So far I have paid 210k, 240k, 248k, 240k and now 225k. The flat ones are obviously cheaper to build on but the steeper ones generally have a nicer outlook with options to have storage underneath. It all comes down to feasibility really. There are some blocks around that I wouldn't touch unless desperate since they are either high risk or have high costs for development. Most folks are just planning single residences so will be looking at different criteria than me.

My main worry now is whether the bored footing holes will start filling quickly with water or not.:eek: We might drill a few and see how it goes. Might need a sludge pump if necessary. Actually planning to set my corner posts first by hand mixing (electric mixer) on site rather than trucking it in.

Well it's been a wet week or more. My worry was real with the holes. I have had enough of pumping, bucketing, siphoning, etc. Amazingly some holes randomly filled with ground water whereas others didn't. And of course the daily rain showers haven't helped. We bored a 1.2m deep 450mm wide hole yesterday and it was half full in around 15 - 20 minutes. That's around 5 L per minute! The challenges of building during La ninya in the wet season on a block with springs.:D

Anyway, my posts are now all in and the rainbow signalled the end of a stage this afternoon!

Power is on and Telstra and water is also trenched in.

House 1 bearers, joists, floor, frames and trusses are coming Monday with my chippies beginning on Tuesday. They will start on House 1 and should have frame stage complete by Easter. House 2 will proceed after Easter.

Attachments

• 28032012795.jpg
    28032012795.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 28032012800.jpg
    28032012800.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Still showers of rain making things sticky but managed to prepare the site for chippies to start on Monday. Bearers, joists and floor for both houses turned up without any warning this morning. Fortunately we had some prepared flat areas to unload. Earthworks costs have blown out a bit but should be covered in contingency budget. Still have around 15 cubic metres of clay to dispose of next week.

Monday - House 1 floor up and frames delivered
Tuesday - House 1 frames up and trusses delivered and erected
Wednesday - scaffold delivered and erected for House 1. House 2 floor up
Thursday - House 2 frames and trusses up. Scaffold up for House 2

So we should have both house frames and trusses up by Easter as long as it doesn't rain too much. :(

Attachments

• Floor delivery.jpg
    Floor delivery.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 183
Went off as planned today. Floor is down and frame set out done ready for the morning on House 1. Scaffold on house 1 will begin tomorrow.

Attachments

• 02042012805.jpg
    02042012805.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 02042012808.jpg
    02042012808.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 02042012812.jpg
    02042012812.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 230
Day 3 for chippies.
Frames and trusses went up for house 2 today and scaffolders continued. Hardwood delivered today and roofing materials ordered for delivery next Wednesday. Some timber oiling to be done over Easter. Trusses up for house 1 tomorrow and scaffold will be completed. Sub floor steel bracing for house 2 will be done tomorrow.

Plan to have both roofs on by end of next week ready for frame inspection.

We are enjoying a rare 2 day period of fine sunny weather. :)

Attachments

• 04042012826.jpg
    04042012826.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 04042012834.jpg
    04042012834.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 04042012831.jpg
    04042012831.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 192
Back