Dymphna Boholt Seminar Syd 17/2 + Terry Ryder

Why do we so often fall into the trap of feeling the need to try and convince others that they're wrong? There's more than one way to do just about everything, and that's OK. That doesn't (necessarily ;)) make those who are different to you stupid or gullible.

If you're employed, happy to stay that way, and on a long-term plan, yes, you sure can make money by buying at market and waiting for the "rising tide".

If you have plenty of time and enjoy scouring the listings (as I do!), you can occasionally pick up a gem. (I can see why some may have difficulties with the term "bargain", arguing that the market is perfect. I'd argue that the market isn't perfect because of imperfect information availability, but that's another issue. Let's say that there are properties out there that are worth "more than would be apparent from a passing glance".) And if you pick up one of these, it can substantially speed up your growth in equity. If you can't be bothered trying to find one, that's fine, don't!

If you enjoy renovating, you can make money flipping. It's not something that I'd consider because I hate DIY, and I don't think you can earn enough per person-hour to justify the effort. But that's me; it doesn't mean that it's not possible to make money renovating - there are plenty who do.

Wrapping, lease options and developing, to my way of thinking, are property-related jobs rather than investing (notable exception: when you develop and hold); because the income ends when you stop working. But plenty of people and companies have made good money from these strategies.

I think it's been amply demonstrated through history and this forum that there are many strategies via which one can profit from buying and selling property. The one that each individual chooses depends on their risk profile, their expertise, the time they have available, whether they need income or equity, their personality, their financial situation, etc.

Thank God there are so many different strategies, otherwise we'd all be competing to buy the same properties at the same price, and nobody would profit!

How did you determine they were bargains? Maybe they were 50k below average for a reason.

I can buy properties below the median in a suburb every day but it doesn't mean they are bargains.

That's the beauty of extensive researching evan. You know the difference between buying something well under market value or if the property is a dog.

Are there any positive people on this forum or do they just hold a low profile due to the pessimists that post frequently here?

I think you misunderstood me. I meant how do YOU determine you have found a bargain?

No pessimists on here, only realists that have done it all before. :)

That's the beauty of extensive researching evan. You know the difference between buying something well under market value or if the property is a dog.

Are there any positive people on this forum or do they just hold a low profile due to the pessimists that post frequently here?

That's great. It's impressive that you have made such great progress. I'd love to hear more about this. We found that in some suburbs this is particularly difficult. Different parts of the suburb valued differently, different streets, different sides of the street.

I know of two ways to get eternal optimism. A) hang out with Tracey or B) spend your whole life at Anthony Robbins seminars and never set a foot in the big bad world. :)

I believe that there is benefit in having your beliefs, methods and actions challenged from time to time. And this is what happens in this forum.

EC

Guys, I beg to differ.

I am one of those newbies who spent a lot of money on a course. I am one of those newbies who ran straight home and researched like crazy for a week. I found 3 properties that I would consider bargains in that short period of time. Hubby and I checked out the properties and had 2 deposit bonds ready on the night of the auction 3 days later. We secured 2 of the 3 properties available. Both properties were purchased at approximately 50K lower than the average price for properties in that town. Nothing better than researching your butt off for a week and making 100K.

I continued to research for another 2 months for about 2 hours a day. Found 2 more properties going for auction that looked good. Took our chequebook with us (got a LOC by then) and secured both properties for at least 50K under the average in that market. Another 100K in equity created overnight.

Sure, researching is boring, but it can definitely be worth it if it makes you 200K in 2 months. Investing to me is like a job. I want it to become my job within the next 7 years. Learning to research now will put me in good stead for when property investment is my livelihood when I retire from my 8-7 job.

BG, would you mind sharing when you got your 200k equity and where....
Depending on the time and location, it hasn't been rocket science to do that.
But to dress up that successs as some sort of universally applicable truism, is what I take issue with....and that's the MO of many get rich quick gurus....they push anecdotes and anachronistic examples of people who made a motza......but they downplay that it was 1, 2, 4 years ago.....

And why do they do this? because they are too ignorant to really understand the forces that created that instant equity......a lot of people are hurting in the USA right now, because some tosser told people they could borrow and borrow and borrow and the equity was a cert and they could justs keep capitalizing interest against revals.

Wiithout some historical perspective, many get suckered in by gurus sayhing I did it you can too......funny that's how a Ponzi Scheme works.....

And I am no againist motivational and wealth creation speakers per se.....I am just saying don't have such an open mind that your brains fall out.....

Don't become a devotee of hope and chutzpah.....

A lot of people get burnt every year by same.....there's a balance to be had in seeking a wealth guru.....

Despite having heard her many times, I'm fronting up again for her talk on the Gold Coast, Saturday March 8. As on every previous occasion, I'm sure I'll either learn something new, or at least get a better understanding of (or see in a new light) something I've heard before. Hope to meet some of you there.

PS WW, I'd be delighted to ask about Desiree and give you and the other forumites an update.
I've just realised that I'm entitled to 2 free tickets, because I'm a member of one of Dymphna's programs. I've offered one to Ethann, anybody else want one? Even WinstonWolfe - don't care if you take the ticket and then decide to attack Dymphna mercilessly - fill your boots... you can even bring your steak knives and your "I love Neil Jenman" t-shirt if you want. ;)

Sorry, forgot details: Gold Coast, Saturday 8th March, Holiday Inn (22 View St), 8:30am - 6pm.

Last edited:
Most of us here give our secrets away for free.
Could't agree more, most people on this forum are very generous in giving out their secrets, and genuinely help other investors, FOR FREE. This spirit should put those "gurus"/spruikers to shame. I know they are there to make money, but the serious $ they are asking !

Last edited:
I've just realised that I'm entitled to 2 free tickets, because I'm a member of one of Dymphna's programs. I've offered one to Ethann, anybody else want one? Even WinstonWolfe - don't care if you take the ticket and then decide to attack Dymphna mercilessly - fill your boots... you can even bring your steak knives and your "I love Neil Jenman" t-shirt if you want. ;)

Sorry, forgot details: Gold Coast, Saturday 8th March, Holiday Inn (22 View St), 8:30am - 6pm.

Glad you still have a light hearted approach towards me OP.
You do actually seem to have a lot of experience with PI, and I'll be the first to say....but I'll also give you 2cw when I disagree.....makes for a better forum imho......as for our politics, same....

Re the Dym seminar on the gold coast.....my God......I can see it now....90% female, 99% bleached blonde, 100% hyped to the eyeballs when walking out.....

I'd almost go out of curiosity.....but my current mindset didn't come overnight.....have been to many many presentations like this.....and my view is there's only so many ways to skin a cat........and I am better reading the development code and town plan, mixing with knowledgeable developers, and REAs, and PMs, and soli's.

BTW, I wouldn't wear a I LOVE NEIL t-shirt.....

I'd have

"WHAT HAPPENED TO DESIREE"

on the front and

"ACCC SECRET AGENT"

on the back :p

Come on WW. Remember that old mantra, "if you only learn one thing..."

Most people will go broke paying $1000 to learn one thing at a time.

Here's another Somersoft secret

"It's amazing how much more you'll learn by getting a copy of the building code, and BA and DA app guides, studying them, talking with builders, soli, accts, QS's, LGA TPs......and when you finish that, read up on the macroeconomic drivers of the cost and availability of credit, sprinkle that with a broad understanding of social, demographic, and migratory trends"

When you have done that, you won't need to pay $1000 to learn one thing....

And you'll be able to discriminate the '$1000 per one thing' Desiree heard, and something grounded in reality.....

I must have 50 odd newbie PI books tucked away in boxes, and given another 30 odd to publiic libraries, and been to 70+ PI wealth creation seminars/presentations/workshops, and I'll stick with grumpy old frt perspective thx...... :)

But am realizing I am better off leaving this topic alone and letting people learn at the speed and cost they prefer, with pizzaz on top....

Mate, just giving you a bit of stir. The old "If you only learn one thing" is used by seminar promoters (not just RE) as a way of avoiding "competing with their competitors" to some degree. Just go an do all of our seminars because "If you only learn one thing" at each one then it will be worth it. Maybe. Maybe not.

Your secret is a good one. Serious. It's given me some ideas about places to gather information, DA guide for example. I wouldn't say that you're coming for a GOF perspective as I think what you have to say is valuable.

But your description of the event:

Re the Dym seminar on the gold coast.....my God......I can see it now....90% female, 99% bleached blonde, 100% hyped to the eyeballs when walking out.....

has probably been the thing that's made me decide to go :D

EC

No no no no.

Its a line for YOU to try at the end of the seminar, with all those 'hyped up on property' blonde chicks.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my post...

Back