Engaged

However I've just realised the downside. The big time downside.

Inlaws can often be a problem in a relationship.

But in this case, at least one of the inlaws on both sides has been very active on Somersoft. Gah! How can you get away from them?

But in this case, at least one of the inlaws on both sides has been very active on Somersoft. Gah! How can you get away from them?

:( Thanks Geoff, I think! :p:(

Congratulations

I am imagining you will have a great life together as you both come from wonderful stock.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Thankyou, everyone, so much for all of your kind words and positive thoughts. We're both thrilled to see such excitement from you all in what is certainly an exciting time for us, too!

When's the wedding?

Not entirely sure yet. At this point, we're thinking either November this year, or next January. Sam seems to be none-too-subtly pushing for November so that's probably the odds-on favourite at this point. Both of the dates currently in mind have some sort of significance to us, so we'll see what we can work out there. No immediate rush, just yet!

OMG...just clicked on Sam's pic...she's gorgeous! So you get all that plus brains...you're a lucky lucky man James!

Haha, I'm a lucky kinda guy. And yes, she is absolutely gorgeous.

So can you tell us how the proposal went?

Fairly low-key affair, just the two of us at home. Sam moved down to Melbourne and knocked on my door at 8:35pm, 20th Jan 2010. So, a year later (to the minute), I mentioned something about how it had been a pretty damn good year together. Dropped to one knee (figured I should) and asked if she'd like to have many more damn good years together.

I offered Nan's old engagement ring to her, which we've kept safe since Nan's passing ten years ago. There's much more sentimental value than financial to that one, which is somewhat fitting as I'm told that it's usually about three months' salary that goes into an engagement ring... and I haven't earned a salary in over three years now :D.

Lucky for Sam, I guess, that Dale hasn't posted here in years (although he does stick his nose in from time to time, when I point out something interesting for him). Seriously though, Mum and Dad have been great; they've welcomed Sam into the family right from day one and are both rapt about the news as well. I don't think they could have paid her a higher compliment than being so happy about me giving her such a treasured family heirloom.

And lucky for me, my in-laws live 1,000kms away :D.

Awww James, what a sweet romantic proposal.

Congrats to you and Lil Skater.

I, too, saw her mention a boyfriend and had no idea it was another poster.

All the best, to the both of you, for a lifetime of happiness together.

Caroline

Congratulations to the both of you.

PS Good thing James mentioned your name is 'Sam' Lil - you look identical to my niece who also moved to Melbourne 1yr ago!

And lucky for me, my in-laws live 1,000kms away :D.

Hmmm.......not sure if I should be offended by that comment.:p:rolleyes:

Thinking about it, not only are they the first forumites (that I know of) to get together through the forum, and they both have parents that have actively taken part in the forum I think James was also a similar age to Sam when she started contributing, so the pair of them have had an active interest from an earlier age than most.

All good things comming their way, I am sure.

As I said earlier, I wish I had the same kind of support the pair of them have, not only with family knowledge, but also with the brains trust of the forum. We started much, much later, and it was all a bit hit and miss.

Maybe the first couple to be engaged.... but actually now that I think about it wasn't there a couple from Sydney (who went to a couple of our earlier social events picnics etc) who met via SS and moved to NZ a few years ago?
I'm sure some of the oldies would remember who I'm talking about... I can't recall their names but I do remember the fellow was an economist who used to post quite frequently..... damn memory is playing up.... :eek:

Maybe the first couple to be engaged.... but actually now that I think about it wasn't there a couple from Sydney (who went to a couple of our earlier social events picnics etc) who met via SS and moved to NZ a few years ago?
I'm sure some of the oldies would remember who I'm talking about... I can't recall their names but I do remember the fellow was an economist who used to post quite frequently..... damn memory is playing up.... :eek:

Yeah, that was Mark. They did get married, as well, so Sam and I aren't breaking any new ground there.

Doesn't take anything away from the moment, though. Still new ground for us :D .

Pitt St maybe? I believe his name was Mark. I know he moved to NZ.
Ah, I remember Pitt St. I didn't know he moved to NZ though.
Yeah, that was Mark. They did get married, as well, so Sam and I aren't breaking any new ground there.

Doesn't take anything away from the moment, though. Still new ground for us :D .

OK, maybe not the first SS wedding, but did Pitt St and his other half both start at around age 14? :p

New ground or not (forum wise), the only thing that matters is whether you two are happy.

the only thing that matters is whether you two are happy.

Absolutely....and by the way these two were sitting snuggled up together back in September when I met them in Melbourne, they seemed pretty happy....or maybe Sam was just cold.

Good onya you two - all the best.

** Out of curiosity, are the grandiies gonna be GG's, or GGS's, or SGG's.

Back