Engagement Ring Cost & Wedding Rings

So shady,

What has she given you in return (aside from an endless supply of headaches and selective hearing)?

Reading threads like this just solidifies my intention to never ever get married. What a scam.

Mark

If anyone is interested this is the diamond wholesaler I have used a several times.

G P Israel Diamonds
L 9 155 King St, Sydney, NSW 2000
ph: (02) 9262 2155

They are Diamond wholesaler not Jeweler
They do not have a shop front to browse thru
They are on the corner of Castlereagh St and King st, the Westpac bank is on the ground floor, G.P.Israel is on the 9th floor and you'll need an appointment.

From there I use Lambert Jewelers which are in the same building, level 5 I think.
Ra (Ray) Winera (spelling) is the man to custom set your diamond and make any jewelry you want. Again, Lambert Jewelers is not a Jewelery shop, Ray only does custom work so he doesnt have anything for you to look at other than magazines and nothing to try on

So shady,

What has she given you in return (aside from an endless supply of headaches and selective hearing)?

Hang on, I'll just press play on soppy music CD player......

She is my greatest support and confidant, she gives me all the love and happiness a man could desire.....

She also cleans my house, washes my skidmarked undies and puts up with my bad manners...
It must be love:D

Three months salary...???:eek:

The engagement ring I bought the misses cost $1200.
The wedding ring cost $400.

I showed her this thread, and she was amazed at the amounts being spent.

I wouldn't wear a ring. Can't think of any of my mates that do either. It would get destroyed if I wore a ring anyway.

See ya's.

I don't know how much my e-ring cost, but at a guess it was less than that. My wedding ring and my fiance's wedding ring were around the $400 mark. One of my workmates correctly described how I feel about big blingly jewellery - it looks 'grotesque'. Diamonds are very pretty but they are also very small, useless things. Just my opinion of course, nothing against the guys and the girls that do like the bling.

Oh and my fiance will be in big trouble if he is caught without his wedding ring on ;)

Three months salary...???:eek:

The engagement ring I bought the misses cost $1200.

Likewise, but at the time we had no money and she was used to wearing $5 rings from the Sunday markets, so she was happy :) I'm glad I hadn't heard of the 3 months rule. I wonder how much someone in their early 20s would spend.

Since then finances improved and we blew heaps on our wedding plus 11 on her ring and 3 on mine.

I like wearing a wedding ring, and it seems strange to me that other married men don't wear one.

Looking forward to buying her some diamond earrings...

Simon from what I know of you through your posts you may not have that finger ringless long enough for the mark to fade. You sound really nice and eminently eligible so be prepared for what the future holds:D

I hope that's not the case! I am enjoying a quiet home life with my two girls. No hurry for someone to come in and mess that up! We haven't heard a raised voice for 6 months!

:)

Hang on, I'll just press play on soppy music CD player......

She is my greatest support and confidant, she gives me all the love and happiness a man could desire.....

She also cleans my house, washes my skidmarked undies and puts up with my bad manners...
It must be love:D

Hahaha! So I guess you going out to work all day and putting a roof over her head and food in her stomach and cash to pay the bills just doesn't cut it.

Mark

I see rings much as I do cars, and that's buying based on what you're worth, not what you earn.

No point in spending thousands, if you're not worth, at the very least, 10's of thousands.

Then there's the big wedding, and the expensive 4 week honeymoon, to go with the ring. Oh, and there's the house too.

I think this is one of the reasons living together appears so much more attractive to some people. That, and not liking to buck to customary pressure.

I think this is one of the reasons living together appears so much more attractive to some people. That, and not liking to buck to customary pressure.
After about 2 years cohabiting you're basically on the same legal footing as a married couple anyway. We got the pressure to get married a while ago - the almost-in-laws pulled out the wedding book, waved their other child's wedding photos around, rearranged the photo album so there was space for us, dropped vast numbers of not-very-subtle hints etc. They seem quite happy with grandkids instead, but now they want us to move back to civilisation. Pft, not likely. Couldn't afford a house there anyway and we have TWO out here.

One day they'll realise we're equally apathetic lazybums who are equally bad at remembering birthdays and other unimportant social events (like mother's day), give up on us completely and write us out of the will :rolleyes:

I just got married 4 weeks ago so here is my input.

I bought my fince a $2.5K engagment ring 5 years ago when we first got engaged, I then bought her a newer one (bescause it was 5 years) for $5K + $3K for the wedding band.

I where a wedding ring, nothing flash two tone gold and white gold.

I cannot remember how much my wife's engagement ring cost. We bought it duty free- she had come to Australia from Mexico just to get engaged.

Our wedding rings were gifts from an uncle in Mexico. I call him "Tio Borracho"- or Drunk Uncle- a title he's proud to have. (He's had two more wives since then).

I'm proud to wear mine- but it's not an OHS risk for me.

Got married in April
My engagement ring (bought two years or so ago) was $800 - simple white gold band with a nice diamond from a proper jewler who was closing down (so heavily discounted)

Wedding bands - his $650, mine $400

Best part was we both got exactly what we wanted - simple, elegant, good quality jewlery that fits with our lifestyles.

I'm sorry, but my investor brain has completely killed of my consumer brain these days.

An engagement ring is a symbol of the fact that you are getting married. You haven't actually pulled the trigger yet! :eek:

All you've done is announce a future event. Big deal. And don't have a pathetic engagement PARTY - same reason; big deal.

Spend a bit more on a nice ring for the ACTUAL event if it eventuates.

Many engagements end up in tears and single-dom.

So, why spend a fortune on a ring, which will never be sold for cap gain, will never have a rent return or a depreciation schedule, and is only important to the WEARER and no-one else?

Even the fiance (hopefully future husband) doesn't care what it looks like after about 2 weeks, but remembers the pain in the hip pocket for several years.

Pay attention: ENGAGEMENT RINGS ARE A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.

If you spend more than $1k on one; you are a very dumb male, and are out to impress others - who couldn't care less in reality. Or worse; trying to buy your bride's love. pleeeese!

The other female friends will oohh and aaah, but will secretly be jealous and resentful if yours (your wife's) is better than theirs.

Save your money, and get rich with the difference between what you were going to spend, and what I've suggested.

Your future wife will thank you. If she doesn't - get rid of her.

Reactions: weg
Well, I confess being into "bling". We bought our engagement ring from Angus and Coote, 14 years ago, half price at about $500. but when they made it up, they used lower quality diamonds, so I was never happy with it, cause it didn't sparkle like I wanted it to!
The wedding ring also cost about $500, hand made by a proper jeweller.
1 tip - 9ct gold lasts better and is cheaper than 18carat. I can't tell any difference in the appearance, but I'm sure a more trained eye than I could!

Last year, for my 40th birthday, I saved up to get it re-made, with sparklier diamonds.
So, I got a new engagement ring made, plus used the diamonds from my original engagement ring put into an eternity ring. I went to Underwood Jewellers in Parramatta, who had made the original wedding ring. They designed the rings from scratch- its quite a complicated, unusual design, because they needed to fit with the original rings. The total cost for both was $3K. The diamonds are a reasonable size..... not huge, but at least 1/4 carat.
I have 5 small diamonds in the wedding band, 3 big diamonds in engagement ring, and 3 medium sized diamonds in eternity ring... Its certainly sparkly now.

I think $10K or $15K is waaay too much to pay. You can certainly get something which is quite good quality designed and made for alot less.

Pen

My engagement ring came from Cash Converters because that was my wish as I can't see the value in buying jewellery that is marked up 70 - 90%

i totally agree - i bought my engagement, wedding and eternity ring as a set for around $550 from a pawn shop ten years ago. would've cost over the $2000 mark from the jewellars (when we bought them ten years ago).

hubby doesn't wear a ring because it can be a problem at work - and he has never like to "wear" anything except his clothes - even only wears a watch begrudgingly for work - so we never bothered to buy him one.

i think $10-20k is ridiculous ... that's half a house deposit. is a ring really worth 1/2 a house?

if i want a big shiny sparkly thing i'll go down the swarkowski crystal shop and buy a fist sized one set in gold for a couple of hundred.

p.s. i'd rather spend money on things like one of those wonderful glass bust mosaics that wylie makes - oh thats right, i did. last month ago for my 40th. and it was still only $500. it is a thing of real beauty that everyone can enjoy and delights my life every day when i see it.

Back