The Weddings from Hell

Can I start a thread reminiscing all the awful things we subjected ourselves to back in the days before we grew a spine and did our own thing?

If I upload it here, I'll post one of my wedding photos from 1981. You may recognise the sheer terror on my face as I "grin and bear it" to get the Olds off our backs.

Hubby and I had been living together for a year and told his family that there was no way we were turning up to his "Mother in Law's wedding". Right up until six hours beforehand we were trying to justify NOT attending our wedding. After buying a house together without Mother and Father's approval, we finally chickened out and turned up to the prearranged event for 100 guests, only twenty of whom we actually knew.

"Mother's Wedding" from Hell included two bridesmaids who were the daughters of one of her friends. I didn't know them. I had visited once or twice when we were all children, but that was it.

The wedding day was in Brisbane in March. The temperature went way above 30 degrees and there we were all decked out in clothes ordered last winter. Have I mentioned yet that She ordered my dress without my consent and had the dressmaker send the account to me? I'll never forgive that one, at least not until I am cruising the Nile spending any future inheritance. A pattern emerged when a delivery van arrived at our doorstep with a tray of artificial flowers and an account for me. Apparently mother and her friend had ordered them when they were planning the wedding and never thought to mention it to me. Who needs fresh anyway?

Another day at work I received a phone call from a stationery printing company. My wedding stationery was ready to be collected and the bill was $XXX ???? Nope, I didn't know anything about this either.

I could go on for hours but my increased blood pressure isn't worth it. Can you tell that this has hit a raw nerve? You've just gotta laugh. I suppose the dress isn't too bad.

Last edited:
I put up a pretty good fight. I was the youngest of three girls who got married first so I had to break them in. Whenever we argued about things my mum would offer to pay so it made some compromises easier. :D

My wedding had nothing to do with me. It was planned without any input from me, and there were no guests from my side whatsoever.

But then it was done on fairly short notice, in Mexico, shortly after the 86 share crash. I had been offered a job in England, so the brief was to fly to San Francisco to meet up with my fiancé to get married by law, to fly to Mexico City to get married by church, have a two day honeymoon in Madrid and start work in England. All this just two months after she agreed to marry me.

It was a wonderful time for me, and my new wife had a great time as well.

We were caught short in San Francisco as the day we planned to get married Q&A a public holiday- only the second ever Martin Luther King holiday. So we spent our planned wedding marching in honour of MLK.

The event in Mexico was great- the reception was at a beautiful hacienda in Mexico City, with a follow up back at the house.

It was a pity not having anybody from my side- my parents suffered badly from the crash. But it saved some family political problems.

In two weeks, our silver anniversary.

:(

Did you finally tell MIL off for it all?

Hi Love, It was my mother who was the #$%^. Hubby did. He didn't need to say too much more coz I later let her have it if she ever wanted to see her grandkids again. She's much more well behaved these days after my father passed away. My MIL has been more of a mum to me than the real one ever was.

If I upload it here, I'll post one of my wedding photos from 1981.
To upload:
1. Go to Gallery- the link is at the top
2. When you have loaded a picture into the gallery, link it into the post. There's instructions under the FAQ- there's a link to that at the top as well.

let's see how this turns out

wedding from hell.jpg

During the planning for my wedding my mother was throwing her weight around, so I had to tell her to pull her head in. Something along the lines of "you're not the mother of the bride, and you're not paying, so don't expect to get your own way".

Maybe mothers and MILs never got the chance to plan their own wedding, and they feel this is their chance?

There's an old saying in my family - you invite your friends to your childrens' weddings.

This saying is stopping with my generation, thankfully. When my children get married I'm thinking I'll offer to pay for a surprise honeymoon (subject to any special conditions or requests), and leave the planning to those who it actually concerns.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy my wedding day.

If it's any consolation, you looked gorgeous. Call me weird, but I think the look of sheer terror on your face adds a certain charm.

And at least she didn't choose a dress with batwing sleeves and shoulder pads, nothing worse than looking back at your wedding photos and seeing Margaret Thatcher.

Last edited:
Wife & I decided to only have immediate family only (no cousins no aunties or uncles) & our own friends, considering we were paying for the lot.

Before the invitations went out wifes aunty declared (was not asked) she will make the wedding cake.

Couldnt stop it because it would offend wifes mum.

Got a bill for the cake from Aunty after wedding. LOL ! Petty.:eek:

Great wedding had by all around the pool & garden at SIL's place and ended up everyone playing kelly pool at the pooltable until late. Funny & fun.

Looking back at the pics......I had hair....!!:confused: LOL!

I've already detailed some of my day, but we often laugh about me and Dad and my brother's wife (who I asked to be my only bridesmaid, thinking she could be the sister I never had... what a complete waste of space she turned out to be :D).

Anyway, I'm nervous, the vintage car driver turned up suited up with a huge neck brace on which sort of didn't really add anything to the look. We were sitting by the side of the road so we wouldn't be early and I asked my brother's wife - married two years - "If you knew what married life was life, would you do it again?".

Without missing a beat, and in front of my father she said "No".

I felt sorry for my dad and just got even more nervous and "what am I getting myself into?" But it was too late to back out, even if I had the courage to do that :D. Twenty six years later we are happy as pigs in mud.

And the only people who got drunk at our wedding were the one couple who thought themselves above everybody else socially and financially. He tried to get the string quartet to play Rock around the Clock :eek:. They just made fools of themselves.

Back