Engagement Ring Cost & Wedding Rings

p.s. i'd rather spend money on things like one of those wonderful glass bust mosaics that wylie makes - oh thats right, i did. last month ago for my 40th. and it was still only $500. it is a thing of real beauty that everyone can enjoy and delights my life every day when i see it.

See now that to me is a total waste of money. Why not spend it on a new surround soundsystem, put it towards a plasma, a really nice putter or driver, even Makita's new cordless hammer drill....thats what I call an investment;)

Well I've heard the "spend the equivalent of three months salary", but alas, 32 years ago, our budget as students could only stretch to two wedding bands. I seem to remember we sold a broken down old Renault to buy them.

I finally got an "engagement ring" from Cash Converters 15 years later and I love that because of its old fashioned setting. Though I must admit, I wouldn't mind an upgrade :p

As far as my husband wearing rings, will he loves to wear his wedding band and an onyx ring but can't wear them at work because they are a safety hazard.

See now that to me is a total waste of money. Why not spend it on a new surround soundsystem, put it towards a plasma, a really nice putter or driver, even Makita's new cordless hammer drill....thats what I call an investment;)

That quote was not actually mine - somehow Lizzy's post ended up in your post, but with my name on it.

I'm with you though; a plasma will have more use than an engagement ring.

But let's not confuse a plasma or a drill as an "investment" - unless they can be claimed as a business deduction. ;)

Why not just buy a couple of ounces of gold from the Perth Mint and watch their value fluctuate over the course of the marriage.

L.A Aussie, maybe women like their fiances to buy expensive rings because they think he will not be so inclined to get rid of them after forking out so much money on the ring ;)

That quote was not actually mine - somehow Lizzy's post ended up in your post, but with my name on it.

I'm with you though; a plasma will have more use than an engagement ring.

But let's not confuse a plasma or a drill as an "investment" - unless they can be claimed as a business deduction. ;)

Opps, Sorry LA.

I could try and get them as a tax deduction but I'd be stretching the truth a tad.

They are both an investment in my leisure and sanity:D

Personally I think it's important to chose a ring together that fits with your capacity to foot the bill. Keep it real.

Also, I don't think you need to be practical at all about the ring which is a symbol of how you feel right now towards the woman you want to spend a lifetime with. It is a lovely indulgence and if it pleases you both then go for it. I think most women would love to receive a beautiful engagement ring. As for the wedding, yes theres another expense, but the trend has been towards the less formal, overseas affair or a breakfast or cocktail buffet or restaurant , smaller affair. Not so many huge sit down affairs these days. So that's got to cost less.:)

All I wanted was a wedding band with some diamonds on it. I love the one Rob picked for me, as I haven't seen another like it.
His wedding band is plain gold but I had it engraved inside "my aussie love"

Don't worry about the engagement ring, can the guys please share what sort of ball and chain are in fashion these days?
As with everything these days things have come along way since the days of the 12lb bowling ball and 6ft of chain.
Its all much smaller, more compact and unfortunately more effective.
These days the 'ball and chain' of choice (by women) is a stirling silver light weight chain tied delicately around the left testicle, just a small tug on the chain by the owner to pull everything back into line.:D

I would just like to add, for those men who seem to think a lovely ring is an indulgence, that motorbikes, flash sports car, racing bikes, golf clubs etc etc etc don't exactly come cheap :p.

I am not into bling, but I have to say that when I am renovating and wearing daggy paint spattered pants and torn t-shirt and stink because I have been painting up near the roof, guess who gets to provide the lunch and morning tea for the hubby and others helping?

You guessed it, little ole' me. I get to drive to the local baker looking like something the cat has dragged in and buy whatever is required.

THIS is the time when I really appreciate my nice rings, and if I am give a startled look at my filthy outfit and workmanlike stench, I make sure that the one delivering the "look" sees them, because it is all I have left of my dignity at a moment like that :D:D.

Seriously, I love my diamond rings (only one per hand - I'm not greedy :D), don't care too much for other bling, and I don't even like "in your face" bling rings, but a beautifully set diamond can make me feel a million dollars. And when you feel a million bucks, who cares what anybody else things, eh girls?

I certainly don't equate it with how much I am worth, or how much somebody loves me.

I get to drive to the local baker looking like something the cat has dragged in and buy whatever is required.

you get to BUY lunch... !!!

guess who has to wash their hands and then make it. mind you, i've now knocked off after starting at 5.30am - while hubby is still plastering (so i can paint again tomorrow).

Meet aged 16 at school, young working class kids, little money, in love, awww..

Married aged 22, engagement ring around $220 and wedding $110ish

Travel 15 years in the futureeeeee.....

Paid off PPOR, Own IPS, Shares, secure business etc.. and still in love.

15th Anniversery, Platnium and Diamond Channel Style Eternity Ring from T&C ( the girls know what that means) around $4k

2 years later 17th Anniversery and 1st Birthday of Daughter (yeah same day)
Platinium and Diamond T and C "Etore'" Celebration Ring around $3.3k

Hope this shows a girl and guy can take the practical approach and still get a reward as $$ allows.

Regards

Peter 14.7

Oh, and dont forget she'll probably want a wedding ring to match the engagement ring and an eternity ring after 1 year or first baby.
I kept saying after first baby ( thinking it would be a couple of years off) and she said no no, its after 1 year of marriage. I got screwed because we had a baby after 10 months and she wanted an eternity ring then.

I had this discussion the other day. I've been married 12 years and asked the other women whom I work with when was an acceptable time to buy an 'eternity' ring. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mrs dearly, but an eternity is a very long time :) I think Mrs Phil will be waiting a while longer.

I also remember before we were married she asked me for a rough figure I was intending to spend on a wedding ring, (so we could shop around). I said "oh,...I don't know...less than $500. There wasn't a whole lot of loving going on around the house for a while. :D

If you are spending giga bucks on a diamond, get it certified. Can't be done once mounted. Also make sure it has come through the Kimberley Process (to avoid conflict diamonds)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Years ago a good friend split up with her husband, who fought tooth and nail to get most of what they accumulated in their 5 year marriage.

After expensive legal fees, and a prolonged period of negotiation, or rather lack of, she walked away with less than she had entered the marriage with.

At the time she thought it was odd, but the only thing this guy did not fight for, was the 12K diamond ring he had set, and given her.

Turned out, when she went to get it valued, the jeweller said it was the best Zerconia he had ever seen, and offered her $100 :eek:.

Hang on, I'll just press play on soppy music CD player......

She is my greatest support and confidant, she gives me all the love and happiness a man could desire.....

She also cleans my house, washes my skidmarked undies and puts up with my bad manners...
It must be love:D

I guess if you can't find love, you'll just have to rent it. :D:D:D

Back