Environmental overlay

I have a block of land in Victoria, zoned rural. My PPOR is on this block and I use the land for commercial purposes, eg: graingrowing. I bought this block in 2004 and have since discovered that there is an 'environmental overlay' over a small portion of this land. I was not aware of this when I bought the place and think that it may have been put in somewhere around that time, when victoria changed all their zonings. Also when I bought the block, new titles had to be made as two existing allottments were all on one title. I would have thought that the landowner would have to be notified before such an overlay is put in place. All seems a bit sneaky by the state government to me. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

My second question is what effect this will have if I want to subdivide or extend my house (septic tank?).

Hmmm... I haven't done my environmental course law yet but as I understand, overlays are simply guidelines but may only affect if you are going to subdivide.

Depends on what you want to do but I spoke to council a few times about a block of land I was checking where it does have an environmental overlay and they wanted an environment and arborist report because of the trees. Yes, the plan was to subdivide.

Have you spoke to council yet?

Back