Ex-tenant owes me 6 weeks rent!

About 3 months ago I posted about my tenants going back to NZ without telling anyone and moving their friend in. The people who told me not to take their friend on as tenant WERE RIGHT!

He had glowing references from NZ but left 6 weeks in arrears, there was a hole punched in the wall, the light switch was ripped out of the wall, a lot of dirty marks on the walls that were freshly painted in December and heavy stains on the 8 month old carpet.

The bond is being kept by PM for the repairs.

PM said he will take ex-tenant to tribunal but I don't think he's sent in the paperwork yet. He said it would take weeks and weeks to get a hearing. Is this correct?

PM also said at tribunal he would seek an order to garnishee ex-tenant's wages. The problem is ex-tenant lost his job and that's why he fell in arrears.

PM said you can't garnishee benefits. Is this correct?

PM said he had to wait until repairs were done before he could apply for a tribunal hearing date. Is this correct?

This is a new PM with the same agency as the other PM I had left. :(

Hi Jennyn
Most likely not worth pursuing the tenant, will never have any money, too hard to find a drifter. Fix the place asap, re-let with good tenants. PM should reduce re-let fee for allowing lousy tenant in without enough vetting, and lost rent delaying unnecessarily - don't need more than 2 quotes to get an order from tribunal.
cheers
crest133

Hi Jennyn

I agree with Crest, just take the bond and get on with it, consider it a lesson learnt. Keep an eye on your manager, they sound a little lazy to me. Do put it back on the agency take some of the responsibility and absorb some of the upcoming costs.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Done a few times

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately if you are in this business this is just what happens.

You live and learn. And also become a lot harder on tenants that may be good folk :confused:

Pursuing $$$ as mentioned above is just flogging a dead horse in my opinion. :mad:

(Read my post in AH TENANTS)

Fix it up, take the bond, cut your losses and try for better next time.

Chasing wages etc is a dead loss :(

Gee Cee

Back