Expereince with kit home

Hi everyone,
I was planning to build a kit home from www.kitome.com.au. i was lost when i talk to a builder the other day. He said that he had very bad experience with kits (missing parts, parts which doesn't fix together, etc.) So please comment on your experience if you have build kit homes.

Thank you,
jlk

Firstly, EVERY home is a kit home.

It is a pile of timber, steel, tiles, cladding, windows etc.
When you buy this kit from a kit home builder, you are paying for the materials in the kit + a 30% profit margin (or thereabouts).

If there is stuff missing from the kit, any kit home supplier who values referral business and good customer relations, will just replace missing parts - this should not be an issue.

When I built a steel kit garage, I had bits left over - a lot of bits, mostly hardiplank cladding. So it works both ways.

Most kit suppliers will have recommended building contractors and trades people that they know and that they know will do a good job and get along with them. It sounds to me like the builder you are speaking of, is not one of those recommended by the supplier.

Agreed Prop,

We just completed our kit home and we had materials left over but there were no missing parts. The company was very helpful and, from memory, mentioned past problems associated with the above company you are dealing with regarding missing or wrong sized materials. I think the owners had previously worked together in the industry?

Whoever you use, ensure you read and understand that contract - it will always be weighted in their favour.

Thanks Mate,

Prop was right, the builder I approached was a local fellow. Actually, I was adviced from kit people to get some local quotes.. Later today, I also contacted their recommanded builder. he seems to be a nice guy. I may stick to him.

Rockstar, that duplex work is inspiring.. If I were in melbourne, I would have use Valleykit.. I'm not aware of the past problems of these guys until I spoke to the builder. He wanted to build from scratch.. Anyway, i got your advice onboard.. I'll go thru the contract carefully.. but I know it defintly would be for their favour..

JLK

Back