Exterior

Hi,

For one of my rental, want to freshen up the exterior of the house due to the mismatching colours. Would it be better for me to paint the brick work or is that annoying due to having to paint it every several years?

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 223
Its personal choice. What's your preference?

Me personally I wouldnt paint brickwork as I think it looks crap.

Rendering looks so much better and you would have to paint it same as if you painted brickwork.

Thanks for your help Rixter. Wouldn't rendering mean that with time due to movement, there would be cracks and more work required?

You will never stop that. The older a place become the more maintenance is required..... Thats one reason why I choose near new.

Last edited:
You will never stop that. The older a place become the more maintenance is required..... Thats one reason why by choose near new.

Thanks Rixter, had a look at some of the finishes and possible colours and looks great! Would you recommend any colours?

Ive never painted an outside brick only internal plaster walls.

I paint all my IP's a Solver paint colour -.

Doors & Door Frames (Gloss) - SNOW WHITE 3761 - 25% Strength
Walls - SNOW WHITE 3761
Ceilings & Cornices - standard Ceiling White

render is the go. Or even bag it for cost effectiveness

you can get renders now that are pre mix epoxy type stuff so its more flexible than your mortar mixes. They use it a lot on places that use blue board or have joints in walls.

Give a render a call, call a few they have their product preferences.

Jins. Tour right about yhe movement. The beds and perps in the brickwork allow for movement in walls. Id leave the bricks and possibly paint the guttering bargeboards etc. Id never render. Means more work!!

First quote $4000, which they are providing the material (general purpose cement). The living space is 140m2 and garage is 16.6m2.

Still waiting on some more quotes to come.

Hi guys sorry for all the questions! Attached is what the guy said would look like with the first quote. He said it is a sponge smooths finish. What should I be expecting in the long term for this and any issues?

Attachments

• cement rendering.docx
    488.6 KB · Views: 86
Is this to improve the appearance in order to achieve more rent? If you are not going to get any additional rent from painting or rendering then why spend the money?

Can't see that much detail in the photo but I think the property looks fine as it is. The main area to look for improvement as an investment would be inside. If you really wanted to do something, then cleaning the exterior and painting the guttering would be a good cheap option to freshen it up.

Rendering is probably the best option prior to selling though.

I personally like painted concrete more than rendering. Rendering cracks and peels over time and doesn't age very gracefully, whereas painted brick can look trendy even when it's worn:)

https://lh5.ggpht.com/-20XBu19PcvE/...UibVZE/image_thumb%255B39%255D.png?imgmax=800

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Painted_red_brick_wall.jpg

It's a hell of a lot cheaper too. I'd go the paint, personally.

Agree. I love that look. I know some don't like it but honestly not sure why. Either would be good, anyway.

Agree. I love that look. I know some don't like it but honestly not sure why. Either would be good, anyway.

Also I find rendering discolours too. Like I've seen many houses and apartments where there's been a leaking gutter or just water naturally running off the side of the verandah, and it forms ugly yellow drip lines over time. I'm just a big fan of any surface that looks better as it gets older. Distressed timber, slate, old school looking bricks. You can treat it like crap and it ends up looking more unique. Can't go wrong!

Also I find rendering discolours too. Like I've seen many houses and apartments where there's been a leaking gutter or just water naturally running off the side of the verandah, and it forms ugly yellow drip lines over time. I'm just a big fan of any surface that looks better as it gets older. Distressed timber, slate, old school looking bricks. You can treat it like crap and it ends up looking more unique. Can't go wrong!
In this case the render just needs cleaning or repainting, but for this house I cannot see the point of doing anything externally unless its being sold. Internals are more important to renters IMO

Hi guys decided to paint the exterior. Attached is an example of a friend's house and it looks like its rendered but its not. The total cost to paint the house and garage cost $4,000 which I think is not too bad.

Attachments

• 20150509_112405.jpeg
    20150509_112405.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20150509_112413.jpeg
    20150509_112413.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 134
Hi guys decided to paint the exterior. Attached is an example of a friend's house and it looks like its rendered but its not. The total cost to paint the house and garage cost $4,000 which I think is not too bad.

Yeah this is exactly what I've been talking about. Looks fantastic and is cheap to do.

Back