Eye of the Storm

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE57D49S20090814
http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/10/news/economy/insider.sales/index.htm?postversion=2009091107

It has nothing to do with option arms really, it was simply a counter to the tangent you took us on when you said the coming issues are priced into the market at these levels.
Those 2 links are from 3 & 4 months ago. Do you feel they are still relevant to today considering the market has risen since then ?

Anyway enough of the games, it comes down to this: The crisis that lies ahead of us should be of far greater concern than those obstacles we've already passed. Not only because of the magnitude of these issues which in some cases are larger than those already faced, but because globally markets and our economic systems are already heavily weakened by the events of the last 18 months. A lot of the problems have been swept under the rug (e.g. change to accounting rules in the US) or simply had government intervention/money thrown at them. There is still no permanent fix in place to solve the underlying causes of this mess. Can anyone here give me an idea of how they expect the US to climb out of the pit that is their ever increasing debt?

Anyone that thinks that we are on the road to (global) recovery is clearly getting brain washed by MSM and are not carefully considering real data and the facts. The markets have been driven predominantly from liquidity added to the system through bailouts, cash injections, etc, when these artificial drivers are removed and further serious issues arise I believe we will test if not break through the March 2009 lows. There is potential for a drop like this to be prevented but in my opinion would take a considerable amount more stimulus/printing and this would simply cause other problems or draw out the length of time before a real recovery. Your initial question was "is this the eye of the storm"...I believe it is and within 12 months that will be blatantly obvious even to those that keep their head in the sand and don't look at the bigger picture.
Those 2 paragraphs could be paraphrased in 4 words - The end is nigh. Can you give us something tangible that will cause it ? or is it just a gut feel ?

The crisis that lies ahead of us should be of far greater concern than those obstacles we've already passed. Not only because of the magnitude of these issues which in some cases are larger than those already faced, but because globally markets and our economic systems are already heavily weakened by the events of the last 18 months. A lot of the problems have been swept under the rug (e.g. change to accounting rules in the US) or simply had government intervention/money thrown at them. There is still no permanent fix in place to solve the underlying causes of this mess. Can anyone here give me an idea of how they expect the US to climb out of the pit that is their ever increasing debt?
Do you think there is a silver bullet that will fix all the problems, and Obama just needs to listen to your plan ? Or are we all doomed regardless of what he does ?
Do you think there will ever be a permanent fix, or does every govt just flounder from temporary fix to temporary fix in our ever changing world ?
Haven't they always had ever increasing debt (denominated is US$) & incomes & interest bills - what's new ?

Anyone that thinks that we are on the road to (global) recovery is clearly getting brain washed by MSM and are not carefully considering real data and the facts. The markets have been driven predominantly from liquidity added to the system through bailouts, cash injections, etc, when these artificial drivers are removed and further serious issues arise I believe we will test if not break through the March 2009 lows. There is potential for a drop like this to be prevented but in my opinion would take a considerable amount more stimulus/printing and this would simply cause other problems or draw out the length of time before a real recovery. Your initial question was "is this the eye of the storm"...I believe it is and within 12 months that will be blatantly obvious even to those that keep their head in the sand and don't look at the bigger picture.
What are the real data & facts that we need to carefully consider ?
Do you think that the US will remove 'artificial' drivers if it thinks 'normal' market action won't resume ?
Can you support your view (with a sequence of events?) that the ASX will fall below the March lows, or is it a gut feel ?

How do you support your view of D&G in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary - rising IRs, rising business & consumer confidence, rising house prices, rising stocks markets, rising commod prices, rising oil prices, rising job ads, stabilising unemployment, withdrawal of govt stimulus ?

What investors with $100m+ are sinking their dollars into the general market at these levels? Can you name one?
I can't name any, but I can tell you the demand for equities has exceeded supply & consequently prices have risen.

I can tell you where the leading hedge fund managers are placing their bets...

The links mentioned investing in gold due to inflation fears.... nothing to do with investors/insiders selling or shorting the general market :confused:.

The next 12-24 months will be interesting. I will be sure to bump this thread as things progress...
:). I'm happy to accept there must be many unknown unknowns that could quite easily cause the devastation you're so sure will happen, but Option ARM resets is a known known and is currently unlikely to be the cause.

Can you give us something tangible that will cause it ?
Like subprime was a trigger for the crisis we have just passed through there will simply be another trigger which causes the next crisis and there are a lot of problems forming which are going to add to the avalanche.

What could trigger the next wave?

Defaults on option arms/alt-a
Defaults on commercial loans
FDIC is bankrupt (already is) - requires bailout
Dubai debt situation worsens
Another large US Investment bank collapse draining liquidity from the system
US struggles to find buyers for 2 trillion debt they have to rollover in the short term
Accounting laws changed again forcing investment banks to value their assets at market showing the true nature of the insolvent US banking system

This is off the top of my head, sure there are other things I've missed.

Do you think there is a silver bullet that will fix all the problems, and Obama just needs to listen to your plan ? Or are we all doomed regardless of what he does ?
Do you think there will ever be a permanent fix, or does every govt just flounder from temporary fix to temporary fix in our ever changing world ?

I don't pretend to have all the answers, I do like Schiff's opinion that we need rid the 'cancer' from the system, let the insolvent banks fail and pickup the pieces when done. Throwing more debt at the crisis is not an answer, it is simply more fuel on the fire.

Can you support your view (with a sequence of events?) that the ASX will fall below the March lows, or is it a gut feel ?
Could easily happen with another large US Bank failure, liquidity drained from system, credit markets dry up, loans get called in, investors have to sell stocks to meet reduced loan amounts. It could happen in any number of ways. How about you answer the questions I posed?

Can anyone here give me an idea of how they expect the US to climb out of the pit that is their ever increasing debt?
With $12t in government debt, another $50t or more in future obligations, both figures which are rapidly increasing and with significant private debt, how exactly do you think the US will make it through the next 10 years? Do you honestly believe China will continue to increase the amount of exposure they have to US debt? Will the US simply be able to print more money without serious consequences?

lol jingo, I will go where there is money to be made. Right now that asset class is not property. Selling the PPOR was not a decision solely based on the economic climate though. I certainly do hope to make money in property at some time in the future (as I have the last 3 years), I just don't think it's properties turn in the near term...I guess a few years down the track I will find out whether I made the right move or not.

Be interested to know what you are investing in at the moment??
Gold/Silver stocks. Was trading short term earlier in the year, but now longer term buy and hold strategy. Up around 100% in the last 3 months, though do expect to see some of that wiped off in the short term correction we may have seen the start of.

Gold/Silver stocks. Was trading short term earlier in the year, but now longer term buy and hold strategy. Up around 100% in the last 3 months, though do expect to see some of that wiped off in the short term correction we may have seen the start of.

Thanks for that. You've done well. I guess you will exit if the price falls below a certain point??

Regards Jason.

I'm happy to accept there must be many unknown unknowns that could quite easily cause the devastation you're so sure will happen, but Option ARM resets is a known known and is currently unlikely to be the cause.
Many thought Subprime was a known known before the entire scenario played out as well, infact Bernanke in early 2007 claimed that it was "contained" and look where we have come since then.

Would just like to say re the discussion as well. Things may not go down exactly the way I see it, so you're probably right, Option ARM resets may not be the trigger. However, there are currently a few outstanding issues that could bring the US financial/banking system to it's knees (given that it's more or less insolvent now), my views are simply based on the probabilities and at the moment it is probable that things will worsen from here.

What could trigger the next wave?

Defaults on option arms/alt-a
Defaults on commercial loans
FDIC is bankrupt (already is) - requires bailout
Dubai debt situation worsens
Another large US Investment bank collapse draining liquidity from the system
US struggles to find buyers for 2 trillion debt they have to rollover in the short term
Accounting laws changed again forcing investment banks to value their assets at market showing the true nature of the insolvent US banking system
Sure, all these could happen.... what probability do you place on them ?

Could easily happen with another large US Bank failure, liquidity drained from system, credit markets dry up, loans get called in, investors have to sell stocks to meet reduced loan amounts. It could happen in any number of ways.
Again... what probability do you place on it ? 100% guaranteed ? or somewhat less ?
And if it starts to look more likely, do you think it's possible to adapt to the new circumstances ?

Can anyone here give me an idea of how they expect the US to climb out of the pit that is their ever increasing debt?
With $12t in government debt, another $50t or more in future obligations, both figures which are rapidly increasing and with significant private debt, how exactly do you think the US will make it through the next 10 years? Do you honestly believe China will continue to increase the amount of exposure they have to US debt? Will the US simply be able to print more money without serious consequences?
It's not all about the US these days, especially for Australia.
The US is still printing $$$ - so far it's worked.
The US will probably make it though the next 10 years in a completely different way from the last 10 yrs.... or maybe the same as the last 10 yrs.... ? You could have asked the same question 10 yrs ago, when it also had record debt & liabilities.

The bottom line is that it's about probabilities.... you feel there is a high probability that the US is doomed or at least gloomy for 10+ yrs.

• I feel that it's a low probability because of the many changes that have happened since the last time.
  • If it becomes significantly more likely that the US will fail as a state, then the most likely outcome for Australia will be better than that of most other countries.
  • It is unlikely to happen overnight, so we'll have a chance to adapt.
  • And the different set of circumstances (from the many possible) that actually does occur will probably require a different investment strategy.

It's important to remember that we got to the top of the food chain because of our ability to adapt, rather than our ability to forecast. I'd prefer to adapt to circumstances, rather than attempt to forecast one of the many, many unlikely possible D&G scenarios.

Many thought Subprime was a known known before the entire scenario played out as well, infact Bernanke in early 2007 claimed that it was "contained" and look where we have come since then.
It was a known known, and then a 1 in 100 yr event occurred... a v. unlikely scenario. Another 1 in 100 yr event isn't due for a while yet....

Do you think the US has learned from that event ?
Do you think things have changed since that event ?

Would just like to say re the discussion as well. Things may not go down exactly the way I see it, so you're probably right, Option ARM resets may not be the trigger. However, there are currently a few outstanding issues that could bring the US financial/banking system to it's knees (given that it's more or less insolvent now), my views are simply based on the probabilities and at the moment it is probable that things will worsen from here.
I too think there are always many things that could bring any financial system to it's knees. If things worsen, we'll adapt to the new circumstances.... veggie garden, chickens, solar panels, own water supply & sewerage works, 20 acre block,....

But that's the point for me - the US will make it through the next 10yrs (as will the world in general). Plus another 20, 40, 80 years after that.

Do you really expect the US to have collapsed and become a third world economy in 10-20yrs time? I don't. I'm not saying I know how their (many) problems will be solved - perhaps once their dollar slides down enough their exports will start looking mighty attractive and they'll become the next China - but there's no way on the balance of probabilities I'm going to base my future investment decisions on the US collapsing. It may happen one day, but not in my life time, so my asset allocation will not reflect that possibility.

It's all well and good to debate and theorise on the problems the US is facing, there are TV networks and newspapers based on these discussions, and no one is denying they have plenty of problems. But whilst one may not be in a hurry to rush off and buy US property or equities straight away, the situation is not going to be as drastic as some people foresee. Or if you will, while the components for 'the end' may be around, the end is not nigh.

Like all situations, the system, Govt, people, business etc will adapt to the situation at hand and find ways to solve/work with/fix the problems, or postpone them for another 50yrs for the next generation. Granted you may not like the solutions they'll use, or the fact that they're just shifting the problem forward, but it'll see you through your lifetime as business as usual so whilst there are plenty of doomsday predictions (and always will be) - I don't see the need for doomsday actions.

Up around 100% in the last 3 months, though do expect to see some of that wiped off in the short term correction we may have seen the start of.

You have done well,but it never pays to be too shallow with probability and focus on all the uncertainty that translates into predictions of problems that may never happen,there are several "Gold-Silver-Bulls"in this site i have watched most over several years,and you would be in the very few that have made any money over the past few years,the only question to ask yourself about property is,if you sell ??can you buy backin,i know several investors that sold, a few years ago,and now can not buy back into the market,due too investing all in the ASX and getting blown out of the water that quickly they are still trying to work out what happened..
..willair..

Sure, all these could happen.... what probability do you place on them ?

Again... what probability do you place on it ? 100% guaranteed ? or somewhat less ?

The top 3 100% (e.g. we're already seeing it, just a matter of how bad it gets), 4 - 75%, final 3 probably 50/50.

And if it starts to look more likely, do you think it's possible to adapt to the new circumstances ?

Guess it depends on what you mean adapt, they will have to "react" in someway, probably the wrong way again ensuring any adaption will be drawn out. They will eventually adapt (what other option is there besides permanant chaos?), but I expect turmoil in the interim.

The bottom line is that it's about probabilities.... you feel there is a high probability that the US is doomed or at least gloomy for 10+ yrs.

• I feel that it's a low probability because of the many changes that have happened since the last time.

Assuming that you are referring to the crisis recently triggered by subprime, what changes are you talking about?
  • If it becomes significantly more likely that the US will fail as a state, then the most likely outcome for Australia will be better than that of most other countries.

I agree, Australia will be much better off than many other countries, but do not expect property or the markets to come out unscathed.
  • It is unlikely to happen overnight, so we'll have a chance to adapt.

Depends what you mean by 'it' I guess. We won't adapt to a market black swan event, it would simply happen.
  • And the different set of circumstances (from the many possible) that actually does occur will probably require a different investment strategy.

It's important to remember that we got to the top of the food chain because of our ability to adapt, rather than our ability to forecast. I'd prefer to adapt to circumstances, rather than attempt to forecast one of the many, many unlikely possible D&G scenarios.

Moving from property to Gold is adapting. Sticking with property through thick and thin or following strategies that worked during times of easy credit is not adapting. Not saying this is what you are doing, but it looks to be what most here are.

No. No.

If you do, what legislation has been put in place to reduce the ridiculous credit policies that caused this mess?
10 characters

Whilst you have made these arguments about how the world is going to end.... my properties just increased in value by over $100,000 in the last 6 months alone.

Firstly I'd like to point out that KeithJ's point that we've just had a "once in a hundred years" crisis means that we're safe for the foreseeable is an example of Gambler's Fallacy.

So the chance of such an event happening tomorrow is 1/36525 if you're a betting man. :)

I'm not as optimistic as Keith because the bad debts and toxic assets haven't worked through the system. The IMF estimates that banks have admitted to about half their losses.

There's been a transfer of liabilities from the private sector (the banks) to the public sector (governments and ultimately taxpayers) through the bailout. The banks have made tremendous profits off the back of this (with the government underwriting their risk - moral hazard anyone?), and seem to be behaving in the same way that they were in 2007. Meanwhile the banks are resisting any kind of regulation to make them behave.

I'm not as pessimistic as Hobo-Jo because I think that there are systems in place to prevent the kind of near collapse of the financial system that we had last year. If you get the chance, watch the BBC series The Love Of Money. It's sobering to hear a senior banker recounting advising his wife to withdraw as much cash as possible from an ATM on the grounds that he wasn't sure if that'd be possible on the following day.

So whilst I'm not expecting an imminent collapse of the financial system (though we came very close to that last year), I believe that there are risks ahead.

In particular:
  • Default of sovereign debt by a major country. Greece is one candidate, and the UK is another.
  • Another collapse of a major bank. Citi's been in bad shape for a while.
  • China going bad. Exports have fallen by 20% in the past year, yet the economy has grown by 7%, and this has been fuelled by a fiscal policy that's so loose that it makes the US look like a model of prudence and probity.
  • Deflation is a potential risk...
  • As is high inflation. (In that case property is probably the best investment as it will hold onto its value, and debts will be rapidly eroded.)
  • Bubbles are being inflated in a variety of asset classes as the quantitive easing money looks for a home. These could burst if support is withdrawn sharply.
At the end of the day, we can't predict the future, and I'd agree with KeithJ's advice to be flexible.

The top 3 100% (e.g. we're already seeing it, just a matter of how bad it gets), 4 - 75%, final 3 probably 50/50.
I think you misunderstand.... the question was What probabilities do you place on these events causing something worse than the GFC ? If you still think the 1st 3 are 100% guaranteed, then you need to forget about gold & be looking at stockpiling rice, & buying some chickens.

Guess it depends on what you mean adapt, they will have to "react" in someway, probably the wrong way again ensuring any adaption will be drawn out. They will eventually adapt (what other option is there besides permanant chaos?), but I expect turmoil in the interim.
Has the last 6 months been turmoil ? When's this turmoil going to start ? Can you see opportunities to take until this turmoil actually does start ?

I feel that it's a low probability because of the many changes that have happened since the last time.

Assuming that you are referring to the crisis recently triggered by subprime, what changes are you talking about?
The accounting rules you mentioned, TARP, Homeowners Affordability Scheme, Banking liquidity rules, House Prices falls (& subsequent rises), Stock Market 30% lower than it was then, IRs at historic lows, cash for clunkers, expiry of 99% of Subprime resets, mortgagor forebearance plans, keeping houses off the market (artificially:rolleyes:), $Bs in stimulus, .... to name but a few...

If it becomes significantly more likely that the US will fail as a state, then the most likely outcome for Australia will be better than that of most other countries.

I agree, Australia will be much better off than many other countries, but do not expect property or the markets to come out unscathed.
Sure, if it does happen, we'll go down with it, but not as far, and we'll recover quicker.

It is unlikely to happen overnight, so we'll have a chance to adapt.

Depends what you mean by 'it' I guess. We won't adapt to a market black swan event, it would simply happen.
Sure, you've outlined a few 'its', all of which are low probability. We've adapted to the last 'it' (GFC).

Moving from property to Gold is adapting. Sticking with property through thick and thin or following strategies that worked during times of easy credit is not adapting.
They are strategies with different timeframes - property is 20+ yrs, gold is usually a matter of months. If you believe the Oz govt will continue with it's 2-3% inflation band policy & popln expansion, wages must follow, and so will house prices... as will credit availability. And IP investing worked well before easy credit came along... through thick & thin actually.

Congrats on adapting. I hope your strategy is successful for you. In one of your posts above you put a 10-20 yrs timeframe on the 2nd leg down of the GFC. What exit plan do you have if you expected scenario doesn't eventuate within that timeframe ? Have you considered investing in something less risky & more profitable until your anticipated scenario looks more likely ?

No. No.
We differ, for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

If you do, what legislation has been put in place to reduce the ridiculous credit policies that caused this mess?
You appear to be focusing on a single (& v. negative) aspect of a much bigger (& more balanced) picture.

You appear to be focusing on a single (& v. negative) aspect of a much bigger (& more balanced) picture.
Then you tell me what the US has learned and changed from recent events.
[edit] Just reread some of above post, you are telling me that cash for clunkers, shoddy accounting rules, essentially more stimulus is what the US has learned from the crisis? As I said these "fixes" are simply fuel on the fire, they do not fix the underlying issues.

Have you considered investing in something less risky & more profitable until your anticipated scenario looks more likely ?
I don't really consider Gold/Silver high risk at these prices. More profit than 100% in 3 months? Got any suggestions?

Last edited:
Good thread. This is why I really enjoy reading somersoft.

Now here is a voice that has proven right to date
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article7218.html
and comments on this current phase in a decades view.

from Nov 10 2008

" at the very least this means that there will be a substantial rally in the stock indexes to begin no later than March 2009 and end no later than February 2010.
A much more bullish scenario would indicate that instead of a substantial rally we will have the beginning of a major bull market."

"The excesses that built up in the bull market and in the major stock averages that began in December 1974 and topped in the year 2000 should be completely removed by the time a bottom is reached by or before March 2009. The bull market that I am referring to lasted approximately 26 years. A bear market that eliminates the excesses in price, price earnings ratios (P.E.’s), and excess optimism would require about one third of the time consumed by the bull market.

The current bear market began in January 2000. (Remember Y2 K?) The bear market bottomed in October or will bottom no later than March 2009. That will mean that the bear market lasted nine (9) years. That should do it in spite of all the moaning and groaning and hair pulling and bleating about the end of our world as we knew it. The next bear market will be correcting all of the excesses that have built up since the Federal Reserve System was founded in 1913. If you can find a book that writes about the coming bull market in stocks and the period of prosperity ahead of us, buy it. I surely can not find one. So, save this report. "

So in the face of lots of doom and gloom readings, this commentator (correct in a few calls in the article btw) says onward and upward.

Good thread. This is why I really enjoy reading somersoft.
Now here is a voice that has proven right to date
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article7218.html
and comments on this current phase in a decades view.
from Nov 10 2008
So in the face of lots of doom and gloom readings, this commentator (correct in a few calls in the article btw) says onward and upward.
Interesting article, certainly did well to catch the March 2009 turning point.
His latest predictions are interestinly enough on the price of Gold and he is expecting it to drop back to US$650:
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article15600.html

Let's see what happens shall we :)

Those 2 links are from 3 & 4 months ago.
P.S. http://www.zerohedge.com/article/most-recent-insider-selling-buying-ratio-821
The smart money is clearly selling general stocks, not buying them.

Then you tell me what the US has learned and changed from recent events.
[edit] Just reread some of above post, you are telling me that cash for clunkers, shoddy accounting rules, essentially more stimulus is what the US has learned from the crisis? As I said these "fixes" are simply fuel on the fire, they do not fix the underlying issues.
You're turning this into a policy debate - should they have let the banks fail & endure the 10 yrs of depression (like they did in the 1930s) or should they do what they actually did... which is working so far.... much to the dismay of the D&Gers. I have little interest in that... however, I do have an interest in the results.... and so far they are better than anyone expected 6 months ago.

I don't really consider Gold/Silver high risk at these prices. More profit than 100% in 3 months? Got any suggestions?
I thought we were discussing the future - the next 10-20 years was the timeframe you suggested for the next crash.

...and congrats on your 100% in 3 months.

keithj said:
Those 2 links are from 3 & 4 months ago.
P.S. http://www.zerohedge.com/article/most-recent-insider-selling-buying-ratio-821
The smart money is clearly selling general stocks, not buying them.
I don't place a lot of weight on insider buying/selling. The link you quoted is vague, but it appears that it's only relevant to this week (?). Do you have links to show that insider selling has been happening on a longer timescale ?

But getting back to the topic. I think we both agreed earlier that Option ARM resets were unlikely to be the cause of the next big crash. However, something else unspecified was.... I think we agree :).

I thought we were discussing the future - the next 10-20 years was the timeframe you suggested for the next crash.

I don't place a lot of weight on insider buying/selling. The link you quoted is vague, but it appears that it's only relevant to this week (?). Do you have links to show that insider selling has been happening on a longer timescale ?
Where are you getting this 10-20 year figure from? I don't believe I've mentioned any such timeframe.

2007-2008 was wave 1, 2009 is the eye of the storm, 2010-2012+ is wave 2

Expect lower stock markets next year, expect the start of a property correction/slump, expect the talk of recovery to reduce, expect the positive economic indicators to turn down again, expect further US banking issues...

Insider selling started to outpace buying around June/July this year and has been increasing. The link I posted earlier from September which you deemed irrelevant shows a graph with the trend starting:
http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/10/news/economy/insider.sales/index.htm?postversion=2009091107

A search of Zero Hedge will provide more recent figures:
http://www.zerohedge.com/search/node/insider selling

I think we both agreed earlier that Option ARM resets were unlikely to be the cause of the next big crash.
They will still be a significant contributor in my opinion, what I am saying is they won't necessarily be the trigger like subprime was for wave 1.

Back