false ceiling on vermiculite

so my 82sqm 2-bedroom unit has that disgusting vermiculite which i cannot stand. so i talked to a gyprocker who has offered to help me ($40 an hour) and has organised supplies (roughly $1500). this includes ceiling hangers, channel , cornices , gyprock etc. he estimated with my help it should take approximately 20 hours, which works out as approximately $2300, plus approximately $150-200 for insulation.
Does this sound like a good deal? approximately how much value might this add? i will be installing downlights through the ceiling aswell which i will do myself

Doesnt sound too bad a deal, just check you dont lower the ceiling height too much as it wont comply with regulations.

Chomp

Sounds a good price for the difference it will make, especially if you can upgrade to downlights at the same time.

What do you need insulation for?
Are you an electrician, since you said you will do the downlights yourself?

As mentioned, watch your ceiling height, make sure t doesn't go below 8ft.

yes check with your local council / building department regarding height, insulation would be a waste if you have concrete slab above.

Chomp

If the insulation is only for sound (from unit above) then try 13mm firechek gyprock...or I think even 16mm (?..can't remember right now). The no insul required...just a thought.

Also, downlights mixed with insulation...dangerous unles done correctly/carefully.

The estimates sound like mates rates to me....I have done this work before with some mates in the trade and I'd be happy with that.

Good luck!

Ok so ive decided to scratch the insulation. I figure with the slab plus vermiulite and 10mm gyprock it will be fine. I haven't moved in yet so I haven't got the measurement from floor to ceiling. So what happens if it's going to be less than 2.4m? I can't do it? What would happen if I did do it?

I would still do it if it was just under the 2.4, Wouldn't stop a sale for 10 - 20mm, how many people measure it.

Do it , Scrap the insulation and make sure a sparky does the electrical for safety. Best money you will spend. We did it and it was awesome.

Back