Family Dog

Thinking about getting a dog for the family

With one the girls allergies it would have to be something like a schnoodle

Any tips or thoughts :confused:

Surprised at the costs :eek:

My previous dogs when growing up have been labrador or rotweiller

Then again, we had 16 acres

Last edited:
We have someone with an allergy in the house. Got a toy poodle. Easy to feed and clean up after, fairly intelligent and great perimeter alarm- knows when and when not to bark.

Downside is they get clingy to one person and are somewhat neurotic.

Wife likes the schnoodle or the Labradoodle :D

labradoodle_2816099b.jpg

Reminds me of an ewok

I stole a cocker spaniel cross poodle from the pound. Only young. A real sweety and fast to learn ... once we got past the toilet Training. Was something deep going on there for a while. Jumps as high and runs faster than the kelpie X. Super-affectionate x

My advice: get a good vacuum cleaner and hardwood floors. Adopt from the RSPCA if possible. Is there a hairless dog for people who suffer from allergies? We have a German Shepherd and a rescue dog. Our GS is intelligent, gentle and protective. Our rescue dog is very affectionate and loveable but not smart.

Specific allergy to dog? Just because the dogs don't shed doesn't mean they won't cause allergy. Most of the time the cause is not the fur, it's the dander which every dog has. My friend is allergic to the saliva only. In terms of shedding, the short haired dogs seems to shed a lot more than the long haired one from experience.

If you want a mix, many cute ones for rescue :)

I know designer dogs look cute but please do have a good look at the photos on your local dog rescue website. So many really cute dogs need homes and it avoids encouraging the breeding animals as fashion accessories with all the health problems that come with interbreeding. Just my 2c but I love my rescue dog, she's just as cute as designer breeds and the money I paid for her went straight back into help run the rescue centre so win win.
It's up to you though obviously :)

From other peoples dogs I like the spoodle.cocker Spaniel x toy poodle. I personally wouldn't pay ridiculous prices. My miniature pinscher is a good family dog. She is low shedding, small and dainty. Easy to wash regularly. And they come in Rottweiler/Doberman colours also!

We had a beautiful toy poodle - wool as opposed to fur - no shedding and no doggy smell. Beautiful nature. Great watch dog. Sorely missed but we had him for 16 years.

This is our new family member - she's 13 weeks at the moment.

Photos are about 2 weeks ago and she is quite a bit bigger now.

She is a golden retriever...and we are the house of fur (she has an older GR sister).

She is gorgeous, but a whirlwind of trouble! I wish you luck!!

Attachments

• Lucy Swans.jpg
    Lucy Swans.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Lucy 4.JPG
    Lucy 4.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 87
This is our new family member - she's 13 weeks at the moment.

Photos are about 2 weeks ago and she is quite a bit bigger now.

She is a golden retriever...and we are the house of fur (she has an older GR sister).

She is gorgeous, but a whirlwind of trouble! I wish you luck!!

I'm calling the RSPCA unless you take that hideous Swans scarf off her and put her in something nice, like a Hawks one!

My daughter is really allergic. Can't even pat most dogs. Typical e

We got a spoodle and had her ten years now. Best dog ever. She sleeps in the daughters bed and not a sneeze. Yet still allergic to most dogs out there.

We have and breed Groodles (Golden Retriever x Standard Poodle). I may be biased but they have a brilliant temperament and don't shed any hair in the later generations. You can breed them to 'standard' or 'mini' size. My three are all 35kgs and over.
There are lots of rescue sites out there that will have poodle crosses that don't shed any hair and will be great for people with allergies.

Back