Favourite Music

Hiya,

This recent thread inadvertently showed a little of the different tastes in music that a lot of us have here. So, I thought it might be worthwhile to start a new thread and ask people to share a few of their most favourite songs, motivational or otherwise.

A few (in no particular order) that get played a little more than most others on my ipod, include:

28 Days - What's The Deal?

I love this track, it's just so much fun. Gets stuck in my head for hours but it's often a beautiful reminder that some of the simple things in life are the best. Give me a cold beer on the beach with my favourite woman any day.

Candy Dulfer & Dave Stewart - Lily Was Here
Perfect instrumentals. I'm sure there's better guitarists than Stewart, but I'm yet to hear anyone play a better saxaphone solo than Dulfer. I remember reading somewhere that when Prince (who doesn't make this list, but that's purely in the interests of brevity) wants sax, he calls Candy. If you're remotely interested in this genre, check out her DVD from the Montreal Jazz Festival. Gold.

Collective Soul - Why Pt 2

This just simply rocks. I'm not sure there was ever a Part 1, but I'd be damn impressed if it was better than the sequel. The audio's slightly out of sync with the video on the clip, but never mind that.

Garbage - You Look So Fine
IMHO, this is probably the best song of their best album. The emotion behind it is easily visible and damned if that wouldn't have been an awesome gig to be at.

Jon Bon Jovi - Queen Of New Orleans

I'd never seen the video clip til tonight, and always thought the song was a little more innocent than that. I love the opening riff though, and the buildup towards the chorus. Ranks right up there and above most of the work he did with Sambora, I reckon.

Killing Heidi - Weir
Their first single, and arguably their best. Brilliant Australian rock at it's best.

Live - They Stood Up For Love

Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Beatles, everyone else; they've got nothing on The Distance To Here. Best album ever IMHO, and this song from it is a personal favourite. The acoustic version is just beautiful too, and as good an adaptation as I've come across.

Nerina Pallot - Sophia
Starts slowly and the passion just grows from there. Beautiful song with so much feeling behind it. I just love it.

Roxette - Fireworks

Best when turned up really loud while driving really fast on an open road. Reminds me why I'm working as hard as I am sometimes, that drive for freedom. Rockin'.

Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac

One of few things better than seeing an awesome band playing a gig, is seeing them do it with a symphony orchestra (see Collective Soul, Metallica, Deep Purple and Ben Folds for further proof). Tim Freedman does it better than most, too, and I've always enjoyed this song.

Damn, I had a lot of fun doing this; seeing a tonne of video clips and listening to some old favourite songs. Look forward to seeing what everyone else here likes to listen to, too :)

Cheers

James.

Good thread James. I try not to discriminate against any musical genre because anyone who is out there living the dream and playing music they love- have it all. I tend to listen mostly to Rock, Heavy, Grunge type music - I play the guitar so this is influenced by that. Some of my favourite bands and songs include:

Metallica – ANYTHING, but especially:
- Of Wolf & Man
- Seek & Destroy (early Metallica - amazing guitar work, lead singer James Hetfields lyrics are so 'young and raw')
- Sanitarium
- Sad but True
- One
- Wasting my hate
***I love Metallica because there’s depth to their lyrics and the way they play their instruments is pure genius. Anyone slightly interested in them should watch their ‘Some kind of monster’ documentary.

Nirvana
- In Bloom
- Slither
- Polly
***I really admire how Nirvana came out of the 80s in a time of Glam Rock etc., and started a music revolution. Watch their documentary ‘Nevermind’ – the making of the album.

Foo Fighters
- Everlong
- My Hero
- Generator
***Dave Grohl recording his first album under ‘Foo Fighters’ by playing every single instrument. He didn’t want to judged as the drummer from Nirvana – so he did it anonymously and without a band! For someone to be able to play all instruments including vocal is amazing. He now has his band and they’re fantastic live.

Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Down on the corner, bad moon rising etc. Great rockabilly sound.

I still really like the Gunners, Kiss, Motley etc. even though they’re more glam rock. I have seen them all in concert. I also listen to alternative bands like HIM & System of a Down.

And lastly – I LOVE Australian Music- Australian Crawl, James Reyne (Oh no, not you again on his album the horse you rode in on – AWESOME!), Chisel & Jimmy, Mark Seymour, Joe Camilleri – Black Sorrows, etc. I love going to pubs to see them play.

Can’t wait to see what others say.

I grew up with my parents listening to the Beatles, Led Zep, Paul Simons, Linda Rhondstat, etc
Then in yr 12 (1992)i first heard Nirvana burst onto the airwaves, and I've been hooked on grunge, alternative and metal ever since.
I've got all Nirvana albums, most of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and recently have been getting into Primus. Go to Youtube and type in Les Claypool (Bass guitar and vocals for Primus - he is quite simply an amazing player - his fingers do the impossible)

And of course I almost don't need to mention Tool, because i just know you must all be Toolheads too - I mean, how can't you be?:D

Salival dvd
Opiate
Undertow
Aenama
Lateralus
10000 Days
and I've got some strings-only covers ( I think by Four-Play?)

all these albums are saved on my harddrive and just get endlessley repeated. and every track is 'favorite' ;)

Anything Jimmy Buffett
-Margaritaville
-Why dont we get drunk
-Cheeseburger in paradise

Great singer-songwriter. Think Bob Dylan without the hype.

I go through phases really.

From 16-21 I was OBSESSED with Eminem.. now that I'm 23 I've kind of grown out of it - I usually have a playlist with a few songs that I listen to everyday until I can't bear them anymore.. then I move on.. kind of like an ipod that can only hold 5-6 songs..

Fav band ATM is Oasis, loving that song Little by Little.

Brimful of Asha - Fat Boy Slim is my summer theme song..

Hmmm. They are my standouts.

Well thats your opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

Tho I'd like to ask why you think he's overr rated?

btw: Bob Dylan changed to course of modern music in the 60s.

Jimmy Buffett did?

No one would have heard the music i'm into so i wont contribute to the thread. :)

Nope. Dylan is over rated....

Cya
Aaron

Growing up in the 60's and 70's...there was only Beatles, CCR, & Stones. We just never listened to anything else.

I've never been a C&W fan until I heard Keith Urban...now I just love his stuff.:)

I'm prepared for sounds of disgust to reach across 3 oceans
MC Hammer - Cant touch this
or
Peter Griffin, the family guy, - Cant touch me​
They dont have to be good, just fun

Hard to pick a favourite, but looking at my library list on the computer it is heavily weighted with

Saint Nick
http://www.nick-cave.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

The Man in Black
http://www.johnnycash.com/

The Gurus
http://www.hoodoogurus.net/

As the top 3 Band's/ artists

Favourite Youtube clip at the moment? (All Australian

The Weddo's - A Tale They Wont Believe ( Chilling )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnNqxI5EdiI

the Triffids - Wide Open Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMF3h7LE2Q&feature=related

The Riptides - Hearts & Flowers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnQUQZE4Vw

And who could forget this

Painters and Dockers - Die Yuppie Die (may be popular again?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEu8eQLHV4

Dave

Last edited:
I'm prepared for sounds of disgust to reach across 3 oceans
MC Hammer - Cant touch this
or
Peter Griffin, the family guy, - Cant touch me​
They dont have to be good, just fun

They don't make Peter Griffith classics these days do they....or do they ? :) He's a PHONY!

Evand:
No one would have heard the music i'm into so i wont contribute to the thread.

I love all music, I would love to hear about some new/different sources; would very much appreciate a few of your favorites..

Saw Bob Dylan in Melbourne last year, he was amazing, the guy is in his 7th? decade and he had me with a lump in my throat at John Brown and Like a rolling stone my feet never touched the ground...he enjoyed it too, he actually punched the hand up into the air and smiled! He is reknowned for being a little subdued but Melbourne 2007 he cut loose.

It is one of the most incredible concerts I have ever seen, along with Rolling Stones @ MCG, both of the entertainers in their 60's, just pure talent, enthusiasm, power, quality, legendary energy and a little sexy.:p

I so hope I have that groove still in my 60s

Sailor:
Growing up in the 60's and 70's...there was only Beatles, CCR, & Stones. We just never listened to anything else.

I've never been a C&W fan until I heard Keith Urban...now I just love his stuff.

You lucky, lucky, lucky buggar!!!! Beatles, Stones, CCR, what a time..

PS OOOOh I love Keith's stuff too, I dream about his "stuff":p...as much as a happily living person in sin can do....:p

OK i'll give you a couple. If you've heard them. I'll put up a few more.

The Mekons, Flaming Lips, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Dirty Three, Sparklehorse to name a few.

I have been a serious fan of music since i was a teenager (30 yrs) and have been into a lot of stuff.

Was a Stones fanatic (and all the 60s heros) when much younger but cant stand the old buggers now. Occasionally i'll have a listen to the albums from their golden era. (67 - 71)

Still love Died Pretty (best Aussie band ever imho), Cowboy Junkies...Been listening to the first few Roxy Music albums lately...when they were interesting and a bit out there. Brian Eno was still a member then, great Stuff.

If you noticed i'm probably not into mainstream music, you'd be right. I find it a bit bland, these days i like to be challenged by the music i listen to.

Evand:

I love all music, I would love to hear about some new/different sources; would very much appreciate a few of your favorites..

Well thats your opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

Tho I'd like to ask why you think he's overr rated?

mate....... When I was 12 (1982) my first guitar teacher was hooked on dylan. You couldn't say anything bad about the guy or his music or his hair or his bad teeth etc .... or you would get wrapped around the knuckles. When I really wanted to learn to play like my heroes Ace Frehley who was on the AM radio at the time. Bad memories of bad music of a bad time. Nothing is gonna change that.

btw: Bob Dylan changed to course of modern music in the 60s.

No way..... Google the funk brothers. Now they really changed the course of modern music. They played on more number one hits then the beach boys, elvis and the beattles combined.....

I love a mix including:

60s and 70s blues/rock/pop/folk - Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cream, CCR, Stones, James Taylor, Hendrix, Queen, Santana etc, plus their "modern" equivalents like eg, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Mainstream bebop jazz - Miles Davis, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, etc

And just about anything with rhythm and funk: eg, Jackson Five, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder, etc.

I should have been born in the 50's instead of the 70's, although I still have fond memories of being into Culture Club in my teens.

Unlike evand, I don't really like to be challenged by my music (although I never say no to something new in case I like it). If I had infinite time I'd be happy to listen to everything (except C&W:eek:), but given reality I prefer to listen to something in the groove.

John.

P.S. JamesGG, I can't believe you rate Live higher than the the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. That's just not right. :eek::cool:

P.S. JamesGG, I can't believe you rate Live higher than the the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. That's just not right. :eek::cool:

Hiya,

'Fraid so. Zepplin I don't mind, and can certainly appreciate their talent. Beatles, though... not so much.

But, Live's The Distance To Here ranks right up there as my favourite collection of songs. Also ranks right up there as Mum's least favourite, after hearing me flog it to death when I was a teenager. Pure brilliance, inspiring stuff, and is what got me started on writing songs, too.

Was going to mention earlier, too; a couple of other bands I'm enjoying at the moment are of the smaller local variety. I've seen these play a couple of times, and been impressed each time:
Cheers

James.

Back