Feel ripped off or was it my fault?

I did do a building report on my Tassie block as it is 3 storeys high so I wanted to be 150% sure it was solid. I also wanted to confirm that the roof was in fact asbestos even though the council was considering heritage listing the roof :eek:

I really wanted what I already knew to be confirmed. I got my builder to look at it as I totally trust him. I had let an earler potential purchase go because of his concerns in the structure.

Usually we use our own judgement and often like Daz the deal would be ok even if there were issues so its not a big deal.

I think most building inspectors are on a par with so called tradie assistants at Bunnings.......incompetent and love to look important in front of the inexperienced.

The last time I was forced to get an electrical inspection by the energy supplier the dumbnut could not get his head around the extra large power board because of the poor light.
I tried a light switch and voila.....let there be light........the power had never been turned off and the bills paid for the nine years it been vacant......just part of a very large deceased estate.

I paid the $90 bucks and got the ticket and every now and then I look for this bright spark on top of a ladder stacking shelves in the local Bunnings.

For those who know what they look for and confident enough, it's okay to buy without building inspection. But it's kind of insurance for me, the few hundred $ cost is negligible when a property will cost hundreds of thousands of $$.

Had a building inspection done ones - back in 1985 - for our first investment property.

I chalked this down to the learning experience as even back then I found that the result was very mediocre. As has been mentioned a report that was full of 'doors sticking' and a 5mm drop across the house etc but no real mention about the leaking bathroom which had no waterproofing installed whatsoever:eek:

Bought a few properties since then and like Wylie we do our own inspections and am willing to take the responsibility myself if I get it wrong (because they won't anyway).

Having said this my sister bought a property in the inner city mid late 70's and had a report done where subsequently termites were found and several floors had to be replaced. The pest company actually paid for the repairs.

I suspect that this was before all the disclaimers were put into place and you would be hard pushed to get any of them to do anything but charge you even more for the subsequent spraying after you have paid for the repairs.

Cheers

Back