Fence removal and tipping

My property agent informed me that the fence of my IP has collapsed and is not repairable. (see attached photo) I am advised either to rebuild or remove. It costs $640 to remove it and tip it. I tend to remove it but is $640 too expensive?:confused:

Attachments

• brick fence April 2012.jpg
    brick fence April 2012.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 194
Why not knock it over yourself and get in a skip for about $150(ish)?

If the bricks match the house, why not store them somewhere in the yard in case you ever extend or fill in a window and need to find matching bricks?

Perhaps the PM should be proactive and ask the tenant who drove their car into it and get them to pay for the repair.

Maybe it was just the kids playing but someone has broken that :(

Perhaps the PM should be proactive and ask the tenant who drove their car into it and get them to pay for the repair.

Maybe it was just the kids playing but someone has broken that :(

From the position of the bricks still left in the wall it looks like the pressure was from the house side of the wall. Maybe it was just old and fell over? There looks to be grass growing on the wall just under the letterbox that looks old so might have been previous decay that eventually let go?

Did you know Bunnings now sell old second hand bricks like that?

The Y-man

ps. Hmmm.... if it is in Melbourne maybe I should come over and relieve you of them.... :)

Depending on how far the instability of the wall extends, you may just be able to get a brickie in to rebuild the wall with the existing bricks. Little materials required, they would knock that job off in a day so just a days labour rate to get it fixed.

Thank you all l for the advice posted. They are creative, informative and helpful.

I asked the property agent to find someone to demolish and store the bricks in my backyard but they are now able to find a cheaper quote - $500 for demolishing and tipping. Before that, they said $640 is the cheapest they can find.

What do you think about the quote? I have strong intention to let them do it. If I demolish the bricks, even though I can store most of them in the backyard, I still need to tip those broken and unusable ones, right?

Not a fallen out fence, a knocked in gate
the gate was hit, likely matching damage on the front-left or rear-right of their vehicle
impact
bent the vertical frame of the gate
smashed the mortar at the layer the lower gate pivot is attached,
swung the gate post, and
broke the fence
attachment.php

Attachments

• brick%20fence%20April%202012.jpg
    brick%20fence%20April%202012.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 282
I'm curious how the PM found about the fence.
Did the tenants call up the next day to inform the PM, or did the PM notice it on inspection.

Of course your insurance should take care of it, if it is an accident.
If it is from age and neglect, not likely covered.

Either way..it's tax deductible..right?:p

I'm curious how the PM found about the fence.
Did the tenants call up the next day to inform the PM, or did the PM notice it on inspection.

Of course your insurance should take care of it, if it is an accident.
If it is from age and neglect, not likely covered.

Either way..it's tax deductible..right?:p

The PM said the tenant called her and informed her of it.

Good analysis... I was trying to work out how someone knocked the bricks outwards......

I would just call them on it. Simple as that.

Not a fallen out fence, a knocked in gate
the gate was hit, likely matching damage on the front-left or rear-right of their vehicle
impact
bent the vertical frame of the gate
smashed the mortar at the layer the lower gate pivot is attached,
swung the gate post, and
broke the fence
attachment.php

Looks to me like a glancing blow from the left of the house.

You can see some tire marks on the footpath.

Blew out the bricks where they hit and moved the mailbox box pillar. Would say it was a fairly slow impact or else the mailbox pillar bit would be all over your yard.

I had similar impact hit on a fence and they spread the fence all over the front yard they then also wiped out the lamp post past my driveway.

Home insurance fixed this less the $200 excess. (my fence not the street light;))

Cheers

Very interesting analysis! The pity is I have to pay $1000 excess if I claim insurance! I think I have no option but to demolish it and leave the property with no fence.

Very interesting analysis! The pity is I have to pay $1000 excess if I claim insurance! I think I have no option but to demolish it and leave the property with no fence.

And if the tenants want the fence repaired, because it keeps people off the lawn?
What does the lease say, about the fence.Is is included?

Maybe a bit of investigation on your part...look at their vehicles now.

The problem is; I am staying overseas. The property management is unwilling to help. First, she didn't mention about the possibility of accidents. When I mentioned it, she said definitely the tenant didn't drive into it - even though I never mentioned the tenant. Obviously she is defensive on the side of the tenant.

I put in a claim yesterday but the chance of success is very slim. They ask for names of the person who bumped in, car registration number etc - an impossible detective mission:(

I put in a claim yesterday but the chance of success is very slim. They ask for names of the person who bumped in, car registration number etc - an impossible detective mission:(

Make a police report.
Maybe they will investigate.

State it was a hit and run, if the tenants cars are ok.

I don't know how well this would work - Tell the tenants that you suspect that they may have knocked the gate, if they pull the fence down and stack the bricks behind the house you'll let them off, otherwise you'll be asking them to pay. They'll also need to get a new letterbox.

Back