few questions, gas or electric oven? extra features? preset ? extended warranties

I have a few questions please
question 1gas or electric ovens?
some say electric ovens are cheaper to buy and has a more stable temperature and that the new ones heat up fast
some say go for gas that its cheaper to run and electric takes ages to heat up
2)what extra features do you like for an oven.

3)did your feature for preset to go on and off work for long as mine broke quite soon and i've heard that from others.

4)extrended warrantees what do you get them for eg fridge, we were advised yes for friDGE no for over or cook top. what have you found them helpful for .

thanks.

Hey,
I always go for an electric fan forced oven in my places. Tenants seem to like them. I always like to have a timer and try to get a model that has a cool touch front if it is an under bench oven so tenants kids won't hurt themselves.
I don't tend to get the extra warranty on ovens, personal choice.
Last one I put in was a whirlpool and tenants were very happy with it as it also had a self cleaning option.

I usually do not worry about the Extra warranties. read the fine print. Plus so many Today Tonight stories on what they don't cover.

Consumer affairs have heaps of complaints regarding these.

I've always heard that gas appliances are the way to go. I've used both and, in my experience, gas ovens do tend to heat up quicker.

A friend of mine that's a chef refuses to cook on appliances that aren't gas - but that just might be pet peeve of his, haha.

If it's for a rental property I would suggest going with whatever is cheaper for you to buy and install. While tenants will look at the kitchen, and the oven/stove top especially, as it's clean and fairly new I don't think the gas/electricity thing is too big of a problem.

I usually do not worry about the Extra warranties. read the fine print. Plus so many Today Tonight stories on what they don't cover.

Consumer affairs have heaps of complaints regarding these.

Just a money-making scam for the whoever does it.

For your own house Francine?

I like electric ovens.

I've put Smeg into PPORs three times now - they're a pretty good midrange product and the service back-up (in Sydney at least) is great.

My biggest regret with the latest PPOR kitchen I built a couple of years ago is that I didn't put in a 900mm wide oven. Or a second small warming oven. My wife said I would regret not putting in a bigger (or extra) oven, but I'm a tightArse and didn't do it. I haven't told her she was right.

Scott

Back