Financial Advisors under attack

My first dealing with a FP was one who did a statement, wanted me to get a St George loan and get mutal funds.

He wouldn't exlpain why this would help, or how, so I didn't do it. I've looked into the loan he suggested since (its the same one Lomas recommends), so that part looks ok, but I still wouldn't work with someone who won't answer my qs.

Jas

/me blows kisses to hard working Rolf :)

My experience with the last F/P went something like this...

Me: My wife and I want to be financially independent. We both work hard, I earn in the top income tax bracket, and she's going to earn 2 to 3 times what I earn in about 4 to 5 years. We have made up a budget which we stick to very well, and manage to save over 50% of my income at present. I have about $150k equity in my PPOR and I reckon it's sitting there not doing much. We know we need to take more risks to achieve our goal, but we're not quite sure the best way to go about it, although we have a preference for property and direct share investment at this stage. Can you help us map out a plan towards out ultimate goal of financial independece?

F/P....I reckon further investment at this stage in any form, particularly borrowing to invest, would cripple your cash flow. Just spend a few more years paying off your PPOR. When your wife starts working (in 3 years), come back and I'll set you up with some income protection insurance. Then maybe start trickling some money into a managed fund. Bye Bye.

(He totally didn't listen to us at all!!!)

I have never seen another F/P since. Within months I was on to this forum and reading every investment book (particularly IP book) I could find. Now I have the confidence to map out my own future, as well as having found some good advisors (mortgage brokers and accountants).

John

sounds like a case of him not wanting your business

probably from a one man f/p who already had lots of high net worth clients so they dont bother with ppl unless they have $XXX to invest

I recently went to FP mainly about my super going nowhere and was told to stick with it as there were good years and bad years. ho hum.

I had filled out a comprehensive form about my income and investments. He read that and advised me to sell my properties as he could show me ways of investing (managed funds) and get a much better return. He had no idea about leverage and totally underestimated my ROI.

Needless to say I never went back.

Cathy

Hi Ben,

I reckon your comment to my situation is spot on. He supposedly DOES help out some of his clients as lot (which is why we were referred to him) but we eventually found out these were people who were already loaded. When we went to him to help us devise a path to "get there" he just wasn't interested in all that kind of strategic planning. It was more like "so long, come back when you've actually made it". Very frustrating. He made us feel like low lifes who's dream of financial independence was just a dream and we weren't worth his time.

I remember him even saying things like we weren't the type of people who should get into direct share investment, and he wouldn't help anyone out in that area unless they had $500 000 to invest in direct shares, and that we'd have to go it alone if we wanted to do this. Strange.

One of the things I love about this forum is the people here help others who are just starting out, rather than making them feel inadequate.

Cheers

John

The latest press releases have been hilarious for me as I have just enrolled in a Bachelor of Business majoring in Financial Planning. You can be assured that in 24 subjects I can see absolutely nothing on property per se. There are accountancy subjects, banking and finance, superannuation, social security, assessment of managed funds, marketing, law. There is one elective on land law. You would have expected something on property economics, perhaps even valuation methods.....something?!? Perhaps just so I could evaluate a property trust more effectively?????
It seems to me I am spending a lot of my time these days talking to people who are hitting 50 but who are paralysed with fear that the "nest egg" they have will be taken away from them by evil banks, evil planners, evil property scam artists. I recently spoke to friends in their fifties who wanted to know what we did because they were so worried they wouldn't be able to pay off their $50k mortgage before they retired. They were paralysed by it. I redirected their attention to the $250k of equity they had which was currently having a lovely holiday, sunbaking at the beach. They had never her the term "equity", they asked what a "dividend" was. It seems to me that financial planners would be much better served by helping people engage with the financial world in manageable chunks rather than telling them to pay off their house and come back with half a million to invest. What's wrong with helping a client to invest in a single direct share - it's not "diversified" but it is a worked example you can learn to understand - it's manageable.

On the other hand, the guy above who got all that advice for "free" should probably have received a fee for his invaluable service. You should be prepared to pay for good service. (How Steve Navra eats is beyond me - he's certainly not making anything in serious commissions from me and I would have quite happily paid ten times for the sessions I did attend.)

I also saw a finanical planner about ten years ago before we bought our first IP. We were wanting to renovate our very old house. He said we were seriously undersuperannuated and that we shouldn't consider borrowing any more but should pay off our house as quickly as possible. We were getting to old to be carrying so much debt. (We were in our late thirties!). This advice engendered fear and paralysis for about two years until we discovered Jan Somers.......and the rest, as they say, is history.

Donna,

IMHO, the reason that FP's do not recommend IPs is that there is (usually) no money in it for them. Why would an FP tell clients to go and buy their own IPs, and give them advice on how to do it, and not get a cent themselves for their work?

There are now some FPs who are recommending IPs. They will earn their money by commissions with developers or splitting commissions with (or acting as) Real Esate agents, I guess.

In a perfect world, people would pay FPs an hourly fee, as they do with other professionals. The trouble is the so many FPs are around earning commissions on promoting managed funds and the like that they can afford to offer free advice. And the consumer is so blind that s/he cannot see that the "free" advice is worth exactly what is paid for.

I did a session with Steve Navra. He told me I was going fine- to come along in twelve months, and see how I was going. That is not something I would have expected from most FPs. (My last, apart from previously documented spectular failures, losong me BIG money, was charging me $2K pa for the privelege).

Regardless, Steve has a good product, and I don't think you will have to worry about his bottom line. A win-win I think.

Back