Finding depth of Stormwater Pipe

Hi all,
My Civil Engineer has requested that I locate the depth of the Stormwater Pipe in the easement running across the back of my site for which I am currently in the Town Planning process to develop into 4 units.
Although the Civil Engineer has all the information from Council on the depth and location of the pipe, with the block being completely flat, he would like to be certain that it will work and the stormwater will discharge correctly.
He has informed me that he would like a hole excavated at the location of the POD (Point Of Discharge). I have recently found out that there are Pipe Locators who can find the depth of a pipe by sending a cable/wire down a pit, which in this case happens to be in the neighbouring property. Can anyone here confirm whether this is possible, or would excavation be the only way to get an accurate reading? The point at which the Engineer would like a reading from is 19m from the pit.

Much Appreciate your Input.

John

In my experience, you just need to open the manhole at either end of the pipe and measure down, then levels along the length of the pipe can be interpolated from that.

Most surveyors will do this for you if requested at time of survey.

Although, what do mean by point of discharge? Does the pipe not connect to to a manhole? or an open pit? Otherwise, what is it discharging to?

Hi all,
My Civil Engineer has requested that I locate the depth of the Stormwater Pipe in the easement running across the back of my site for which I am currently in the Town Planning process to develop into 4 units.
Although the Civil Engineer has all the information from Council on the depth and location of the pipe, with the block being completely flat, he would like to be certain that it will work and the stormwater will discharge correctly.
He has informed me that he would like a hole excavated at the location of the POD (Point Of Discharge). I have recently found out that there are Pipe Locators who can find the depth of a pipe by sending a cable/wire down a pit, which in this case happens to be in the neighbouring property. Can anyone here confirm whether this is possible, or would excavation be the only way to get an accurate reading? The point at which the Engineer would like a reading from is 19m from the pit.

Much Appreciate your Input.

John

I went through the exact same thing last year. Do as Jake as suggested above. Better yet tell your engineer to go to the site and measure. He is being lazy.

Oscar

Back