Finding what Shares were owned for Deceased Estate

Is there some sort of shares register to find what a person had before they passed away? Is there an easy way to find out?

Sunshine

There is no central register, as far as I know. Computershare holds the CHESS register of many companies but many oldies held shares under their own Holder Ident No (HIN) and only the individual companies would know that.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't documentation somewhere. It may be in a shoe box, but it will be there.

Check with personal papers, maybe a filing cabinet?
Get a copy of previous tax returns where dividends will be declared?
Check bank statements for deposit record of dividends?
Maybe contact a stock broker who may be able to help?
Marg

I thought the ASX ran a service for fee to provide this info- otherwise rummage thru deceased's paperwork. Dividends will show in bank statements.

Wait 12 months max. Every shareholder gets a letter from each cpy inviting them to the AGM or a div statement or annual report etc.

Or their accountant may have a list of divs received last year.

Wait 12 months max. Every shareholder gets a letter from each cpy inviting them to the AGM or a div statement or annual report
Yes, UNLESS they ticked the box saying: I don't want an annual report, which has been on offer for a while. (I can't believ that people tick that box - but some must :confused:)

Is there some sort of shares register to find what a person had before they passed away? Is there an easy way to find out?

Sunshine
If you have power of attorney to act on their legal affairs,then ring up the ATO and ask about last years tax return it will be all in there if they were playing the game by the ATO rules,,bank statements,their Accountants but either way 2 times a year,or 12 times a year the div's statement will go out too the old address,i would start at the bank first..
..willair..

Yes, UNLESS they ticked the box saying: I don't want an annual report, which has been on offer for a while. (I can't believ that people tick that box - but some must :confused:)
IIRC shareholders MUST received a paper copy of the invitation to the AGM regardless of which boxes they ticked. I agree about the Annual Report.

I tick the box to receive the reports & statements online or via email... Still read the reports though!

Back