Finished my DIY bathroom

Took my time because it' not the only bathroom and I got distracted with other projects. I also have trouble finishing things. I haven't put a shower screen in yet.

I'll see if I can find the before/during thread and put a link to it.

This was an existing small bathroom just inside the front door. We never used the door, so I blocked it up (who needs a front door) and put a laundry where it was. That meant I could combine the entry space and the existing bathroom into a bigger space.

It meant taking down a wall and ripping up the existing slab etc etc.

The floor turned out great. It's Brazilian slate that comes in 500 x 500mm pieces and it's not all that expensive. We (well not me especially because I know I was going to have to do it) wanted a 'crazy paving' pattern. That sounded okay till I discovered slate doesn't want to break like stone. It sort of delaminates, or shatters in layers. So I had to make a carboard template for each piece. Then I marked the shape on the back, cut it through 80% or so with a grinder, then flipped it over and knocked off the edges. Didn't enjoy that process much. (Note the concealed floor waste in the centre.)

The wall tiling was pretty straightforward. They're great looking tiles.

The bath side and shelf is Corian - that had to be done by a supplier (cost $2,300).

Mirror was cheap - $400.

So was the tall skinny louvre window. I made the aluminium frame for it and then got the window made to fit.

The window at the foot of the bath has 10mm steel sides, top and bottom. I knocked that up in my shed.

I love the ceiling light. It was about $900 I think.

The dunny, basin, taps etc were all mid range stuff from a big bathroom supplier.

Attachments

• IMG_6977.jpg
    IMG_6977.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6978.jpg
    IMG_6978.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6979.jpg
    IMG_6979.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 199
Very nice. I especially love your toilet with a concealed cistern - although my plumber hubby would be muttering darkly about it :rolleyes:. I want the same sort of thing for our one-day-this-will-be-an-ensuite.

A wall hung toilet makes it easy to keep the floor clean. The cistern can be accessed through the button panel, but I also made that shelf above it removeable so it can be accessed through there, too. The good thing about those cisterns is that they be put on the other side of a wall or even in a ceiling I imagine.

Hmmm. I thought I had a photo of the light. I'll get one. Might also get one of the laundry.

Well done Scott...that is an awesome bathroom. I love your choices in tiles and fittings

We put in wall hung cisterns 35 years ago in this house and now I do not think I could cope with cleaning the floor without them!!!!

Chris

The bath is just sitting on the slab. Kaldewei baths have feet.

The sides and top surround are Corian. It's amazing stuff - repairable and impossible to see the joins.

Hey Scott it may have been the worlds longest bathroom reno but it turned out pretty funky in the end. Those green glass tiles are to die for! :D
Great job buddy!

That sounded okay till I discovered slate doesn't want to break like stone. It sort of delaminates, or shatters in layers. So I had to make a carboard template for each piece.

looks a treat

should have asked a geologist about the slate :)

its usually from some form of sedimentary rock that has been lightly metamorphosed . Sedimentary rock is laid down in layers so thats why it delaminates when it gets knocked around

ta
rolf

Rolf, I slapped myself in the head when the first slate tile didn't do what I expected. I reckon wastage on the floor tiles would have run about 50%, but I'm sure they were only about $100 per sqm.

Jacque, those beautiful green tiles, which are the same brand as the white ones, cost a bit more. Tiles are such a huge factor in a bathroom. I don't think there is any point scrimping on them in a PPOR when you're not intending moving any time soon. They cost............

$620 per square metre (but I got them down to $500 per sqm).

Rolf, I slapped myself in the head when the first slate tile didn't do what I expected. I reckon wastage on the floor tiles would have run about 50%, but I'm sure they were only about $100 per sqm.

Jacque, those beautiful green tiles, which are the same brand as the white ones, cost a bit more. Tiles are such a huge factor in a bathroom. I don't think there is any point scrimping on them in a PPOR when you're not intending moving any time soon. They cost............

$620 per square metre (but I got them down to $500 per sqm).

Hey Scott agree with you when you want something special and with that WOW factor (which you do so well) you do end up paying more.

Sensational job, Scott! I'm so accustomed to seeing "ip renos" on here that I was shocked to see so much WOW factor. The glass tiles do look like $500/sq I must say. And what a great job you did on the floor. Can't say that I could have been bothered to do that; let alone making your own window frames. That's some serious DIY.

Back